ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Gmail: Looking for a desktop version

(1/3) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Hi everybody,

A couple of days ago we got some mail saying that our TV/phone/ISP is changing our internet and TV service - we will get 7MBPS instead of 3, but they are changing the email addresses from @qwest.net to @q.com - apparently some Microsoft hosted thing. My dad and I are annoyed at the forced change, however I have chosen to use my Google account and long-dormant Gmail email to be my new main address.

Problem is, I am used to the old POP3 system - open up your email app of choice, wait for incoming messages, wait for outgoing messages, read 4 messages, delete 67 spam messages, and be done. I have used the account gradually over the last 2 days (home sick) and I like how it works and how it looks, but I *really* need a desktop application version of it. Does Google offer anything like that yet, or will I have to make a small program to do it for me?

Also, I have heard that Gmail is supposed to be really powerful and all - I've messed with the options, it used to forward the occasional email to my main address, but I'm curious what it can do. I'm not a fan of Google's software, but I'm willing to try :)

Deozaan:
You can forward all your Gmail to your pop3 account or just download it all via pop3. It's in the settings menu and there have been discussions about it here in the past warning to use this method to backup your e-mail due to Gmail accounts mysteriously disappearing.

Deozaan:
Here's one of the previous discussions that I mentioned:

Downloading your Gmail Account

wreckedcarzz:
But I am going the opposite way - leaving POP3 and going to Gmail. That's (Gmail -> POP3) what I used to do - now I am using it as my primary email.

*Reading linked topic now*

4wd:
But I am going the opposite way - leaving POP3 and going to Gmail. That's (Gmail -> POP3) what I used to do - now I am using it as my primary email.-wreckedcarzz (December 01, 2008, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why not turn on GMail's IMAP and use your email app of choice, (assuming it supports IMAP) ?

Personally, I can't think of something more annoying than not being able to read your email offline.  Assuming you always have an internet connection to access your old emails is just plain silly.

I have 6 GMail accounts and for 5 of them I use Thunderbird to download all emails via POP3, the last is used to register on crap sites and I use Thunderbird in IMAP mode for it because I'm not concerned about saving anything from it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version