topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY Bible Quiz  (Read 4060 times)

larystoy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    • View Profile
    • Jazy Webs by Larry
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY Bible Quiz
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Thanks to all that are taking a look at the Visual Basic 6.0 Bible Quiz posted in this years NANY.

A constant problem I have had with it from day one is repeating a question too many times during a session.

Even with over 500 questions, cut into 5 levels of participation, there are still too many repetitions of a question.

The data is in an MS Access database.

The only way at this time that I can think of solving this issue is to access the database each time a question is displayed and tag it. The only problem I see with this is that (assuming 100 questions per level of play) after a while the "search for another question" would consume so much time that you would get bored and quit.

Any ideas will be most welcome as how to overcome this issue.

[email protected]
www.jazywebs.com

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY Bible Quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:43 PM »
I don't know much about VB but the general idea I'd go with would be to put them in an array or a stack at the beginning of the quiz and pop them out when they are used.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY Bible Quiz
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 02:45 PM »
The problem could be with the seeding of your randomizer.  I had the same sort of problem back 3 or 4 years ago while coding something in VB6, and the problem turned out to be that my randomizer wasn't truly randomizing things.  I tried to find the project files but couldn't locate them.  But IIRC, the ultimate problem lay in how I was using the random function.

Even if your randomizer code isn't spot-on, it would probably still be sufficient if combined with Deozaan's suggestion.