Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 06, 2016, 03:57:14 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY Bible Quiz  (Read 2286 times)

larystoy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    • View Profile
    • Jazy Webs by Larry
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY Bible Quiz
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:40:32 PM »
Thanks to all that are taking a look at the Visual Basic 6.0 Bible Quiz posted in this years NANY.

A constant problem I have had with it from day one is repeating a question too many times during a session.

Even with over 500 questions, cut into 5 levels of participation, there are still too many repetitions of a question.

The data is in an MS Access database.

The only way at this time that I can think of solving this issue is to access the database each time a question is displayed and tag it. The only problem I see with this is that (assuming 100 questions per level of play) after a while the "search for another question" would consume so much time that you would get bored and quit.

Any ideas will be most welcome as how to overcome this issue.

larystoy@yahoo.com
www.jazywebs.com

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • The Blog of Deozaan
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY Bible Quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
I don't know much about VB but the general idea I'd go with would be to put them in an array or a stack at the beginning of the quiz and pop them out when they are used.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY Bible Quiz
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
The problem could be with the seeding of your randomizer.  I had the same sort of problem back 3 or 4 years ago while coding something in VB6, and the problem turned out to be that my randomizer wasn't truly randomizing things.  I tried to find the project files but couldn't locate them.  But IIRC, the ultimate problem lay in how I was using the random function.

Even if your randomizer code isn't spot-on, it would probably still be sufficient if combined with Deozaan's suggestion.