ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

Nany 2009 Release: CrushPad

(1/2) > >>

Crush:
NANY 2009 Entry Information
Application Name CrushPad Version V1.0 Short Description Organize texts in Categories (Ticket-System - Multi-User possible with net drives) Supported OSes Windows Web Page - Download Link CrushPad V1.0.zip (475.73 kB - downloaded 1895 times.) System Requirements
* Pentium 25Mhz should be enoughVersion History
* 08/12/01 first releaseAuthor [url=https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=51520]Crush

Description
I use it to make notices during coding

Features
You can create categories and subcategory tickets with states and search through all entries
Started over a network-drive several users can work in parallel and get all changes with signals
Its all you want it to be! I hope you can use it somehow.

Planned Features
nothing - that´s enough for the first shot

Usage
Installation
You need nothing special to do - only run the .exe file

Using the Application
I use it to take care of some ideas during development projects.
On work I used it for different kinds of support notices (and analyses in combination with Excel).

Uninstallation
Only delete all files in the directory

Known Issues
Nope, not bigger ones till now.

Screenshot
Nany 2009 Release: CrushPad

f0dder:
How does it handle multi-users over network drive?

Asking because it's one of those things that usually, sometime, end up giving horrible data loss or at least just quirkiness. File locking isn't 100% reliable over network shares :/

Crush:
It´s using file locking and I tested it with 2 friends nonstop over several weeks without any problems. Before updating it reloads if changes have been made before the last save and a new search.

f0dder:
It´s using file locking and I tested it with 2 friends nonstop over several weeks without any problem. Before updating it reloads if changes have been made before the last save and before a new search.
-Crush (December 02, 2008, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Just keep in mind that, while it seems to work for now, there are several things that can go wrong when dealing with network shares. It only happens rarely when the file share is on a LAN, but it can still go wrong even there - I'm speaking from experience. The museum had a shared calendar that worked in much the same way, and it would lose data at least a couple of times a month. There were 8+ people using the calendar, so obviously that gave a higher risk of collision than just three people :)

Nothing wrong with your app btw., so I'm not criticizing you - iirc. the problem is something along the lines of client still thinking it's connected to the server (and holding the file lock), whereas the server (for whatever reason) has terminated the client connection and thus released the lock.

Oh, and never do anything depending on network share file locking across a WAN, the risk of disaster is much higher than on a LAN.

Crush:
Tank you for your tips. I decided to do some small fixes/additions to the prog. Perhaps it´s better to lock not via the file system only, but with a special created locking-file during file-operations that will be deleted after work? A second pass to control datas could also be done for security reasons. The best would be to backup several times in line the full database to be totally sure not to lose all datas - they could be also used for a rollback-function.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version