ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Collectorz.com... again!

<< < (20/24) > >>

TucknDar:
Who in their right mind spends $50 a year to host a movie collection? Well, good luck to them... :-\

superboyac:
Who in their right mind spends $50 a year to host a movie collection? Well, good luck to them... :-\
-TucknDar (August 03, 2009, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know.  That's insane.  I like Collectorz software, but that's no good.  I'd have to be buying a hell of a lot of movies (like mulitple DVD's per week) to justify spending money for a $50/year catalog database.

Innuendo:
I've never used or purchased any Collectorz software, but I remember checking their software out when they first released all their programs & I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "These guys are taking one program and database, changing the labels to suit different types of collections, and reselling the same program over and over masquerading as different, distinct programs. Is there any possible way a software company could exhibit more greed and be even more unscrupulous?"

Sadly, all these years later, Collectorz has shown me the answer to that question. My sympathies to all who bought into their crap & may the authors have a special circle of Hell reserved for them due to their greed & business practices.

superboyac:
I've never used or purchased any Collectorz software, but I remember checking their software out when they first released all their programs & I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "These guys are taking one program and database, changing the labels to suit different types of collections, and reselling the same program over and over masquerading as different, distinct programs. Is there any possible way a software company could exhibit more greed and be even more unscrupulous?"

Sadly, all these years later, Collectorz has shown me the answer to that question. My sympathies to all who bought into their crap & may the authors have a special circle of Hell reserved for them due to their greed & business practices.
-Innuendo (August 03, 2009, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't have a problem with them making a core engine, and then tweaking it for several different applications.  A lot of developers do that.  Like Powermarks and MP3Rat, which are both developed around the same search dialog box feature.  So that doesn't bother me.

But they have always had somewhat of an abrasive attitude.  Years ago, in the lifetime license era, they were good with customer support.  But then they became more and more shady.  You could see that more of their decisions were becoming slanted towards "good business" at the expense of customer satisfaction/preference.  There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it does tend to rub people the wrong way, especially in the software world.

They do make good software, though.  I still haven't found a better alternative.  I'm hoping someone will eventually come along that does it better with a better attitude.

Carol Haynes:
Today's email:

Alwin here, with some bad news.
It looks like we have a problem. And because it could affect almost all
Collectorz.com customers and their usage of our software,
I wanted to let you all know what is happening, immediately.

Anyway, here it is. This morning, I received the following email from Amazon:

========================================================
Subject: Your Amazon Associates Acount

It has come to our attention that you have created applications for use with
mobile devices which use Amazon.com content.  The use of a mobile application
in conjunction with the Product Advertising API or the Associates Program
without our express prior written approval is not permitted.

As a result, we must insist that you cease this use of our services immediately.
Moreover, because of this violation of both the Product Advertising API License
Agreement and the Associates Operating Agreement, your Associates accounts have
been closed and your access key turned off.

We thank you for your understanding and wish you the best of luck in the future.
--- End quote ---

Is it me being cynical when I think Alwin will be say 'yippee' at this amongst crocodile tears?

It puts another nail in the coffin of early versions and means anyone still using Collectorz will  be 'encouraged' to move to the new version.

At the moment Amazon still works and the email goes on to say that all iPhone apps have been withdrawn so that the Amazon account might be preserved.

Maybe I am being unduly cynical but I can't help feeling the death of the Amazon account would be more in line with Collectorz forward view so the comment that iPhone apps may never reappear sounds a bit iffy to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version