topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Collectorz.com... again!  (Read 93349 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Collectorz.com... again!
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2009, 05:49 PM »
That was in the email he sent to all registered users.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Hi all,

I know some of you don't like version 6, especially the removal of IMDb. I have allowed you guys to voice your opinion here on the forum for a month now. And I have done my best to respond to it, being as open and honest as possible, trying to explain our reasons.

But now it is time to move on.

You may not accept it (or even believe it), but version 6 is a major success. Thousand of existing customers have upgraded and sales from new users are way up. And they're absolutely loving it.

The hard cold fact is: we will not change it back. This is the way Movie Collector will move forward.

So let's stop repeating the same arguments over and over again and move on to a more constructive discussion. And with that, I mean *any* feedback on the Collectorz.com movie database.

You may yell, you may say it sucks, as long as you tell me *why* it sucks.

Let us know *which* movies you were not able to find, which barcodes are not recognized, which data you are missing. Tell us about errors, incorrect data, wrong images, anything.

This help us fix problems, it will let us know what to work on, what the problem areas are.

Even better, if you find missing movies, *submit* them to us. You don't have to enter all data manually and scan the cover images (but of course you are welcome to).
If you could only submit a "skeleton" entry with just the movie title and the IMDb number, your submission will at least let us know which ones are missing. Other users can then download that entry, add to it...

If we all work together on this, maybe we can bring the Collectorz.com movie database to a state where it *is* usable for you, so that you can all upgrade to the latest and greatest version of the program you love (or at least *loved*) so much.

Thank you!

Alwin

Latest post from Alwin.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2009, 07:53 PM »
If we all work together on this, maybe we can bring the Collectorz.com movie database to a state where it *is* usable for you, so that you can all upgrade to the latest and greatest version of the program you love (or at least *loved*) so much.

So now we admit it doesn't work so just cough up the money for an upgrade, stop moaning and get on with the work of building our database for us. Of course having built our new database, entered lots of information, scanned and uploaded images galore in a few months we will charge you to use it.

And they say slavery is dead!

legless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2009, 11:40 AM »
P.S... URGENT NOTICE: While Movie Collector is the fastest, most powerful
version we've ever made, it does not fit the cataloging methods or
collection styles of all of our customers. If you have an collection of
older films, mostly adult movies, or MUST have data from sources like IMDb,
this upgrade is NOT FOR YOU. I repeat, if you fit into one of these
categories, then you are most likely not going to be happy with Movie
Collector 6.1.

Why?

Because in order to make our software easier, searches faster, and move
toward things like an online version and iPhone apps, we had to bring all
the search data into our in-house database. The Collectorz.com database has
over 100,000 movies, with almost 150,000 barcodes... and it continues to
grow, get faster, and be more complete everyday. But it still does not
have very many older or more obscure movies.

Again, with Movie Collector 6.1 you will NOT be able to access info from
IMDb, DVD Empire or ANY OTHER external source. Wondering if your movies
are in the new version?
Give v6.1 a test drive with the trial version and see.

Of course, you can continue to use Movie Collector 5 indefinitely, but
coming December 31, we will no longer support this version. Already all
development and upgrades have stopped on this out-dated version. I hope
you'll join us as we move forward, but understand if you can't.

From alwin and posted to this thread.

I have also attached the topic zipped in case he deletes it.

I used an older version of Movie Collector from Collectorz.com and quite liked it. The ability to get quite full information from various stores and online databases was a big plus for me as I have DVDs from all over the place not just my home region. I switched to DVDProfiler for a while as one of my friends uses it and I wanted to have my database compatible with his. I ended changing back to Movie COllector and DVDProfiler just plain lacked some things I liked. Though the new look of Movie COllector is not winning me either.

I bought version 6 and now find that I am going to have pay out extra money to access his database as there are no longer options to get info anywhere else. This change alone is making me tend towards ditching the product completely now and cutting my losses. Why should we be paying for something that was supposed to come included in the buy price of the software. OK maintaining this large database will cost time and money but it was his choice to do that so why did he fix what wasn't broken? Money? But remember this is basically a user contributed database in the first place as well using the time and effort of loyal users to create it. He's acting like it's all his work. It would be nothing without the users including me.

They tout the ability to scan barcodes into the database to add movies but half of mine are not in his "huge" 150,000 barcode database. Most of my DVDs are region 4. Even a quick random scan of 12 DVDs' barcodes failed to find all but 4 of them at all. Originally this info was sourced from Australian DVD sources (no longer possible). His answer is "tell us about the ones it can't find in the database". Oh yeah right. I'd be here all day. Some of my DVDs are versions that are no longer available or have different cover art or features so have a different code from the standard ones.

It's looking doubtful I'll be continuing with what used to be a great product. As for the note from Alwin to "not upgrade to the latest if you still want feature X" comes too late for me as my databases have been converted.

Ah progress. Yeah right! True you can't please everyone but he's now pleasing fewer and fewer of us with these changes.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:49 AM by legless »

legless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2009, 11:50 AM »
That was in the email he sent to all registered users.
-Carol Haynes (March 25, 2009, 05:49 PM)

He did?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2009, 12:17 PM »
As for the note from Alwin to "not upgrade to the latest if you still want feature X" comes too late for me as my databases have been converted.
Last time I checked v6 databases were still compatible with the latest v5.x of Movie Collector, so going back (well, forward in some cases) to MoC 5 should be no problem for you. I use both versions. v6 for regular usage, and v5 when I need to add DVDs since few Scandinavian releases are in the collectorz database. Bit of a workaround, obviously, but I really haven't found another product that I'm too happy with. Still looking though... sadly. :-\

legless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2009, 07:34 PM »
As for the note from Alwin to "not upgrade to the latest if you still want feature X" comes too late for me as my databases have been converted.
Last time I checked v6 databases were still compatible with the latest v5.x of Movie Collector, so going back (well, forward in some cases) to MoC 5 should be no problem for you. I use both versions. v6 for regular usage, and v5 when I need to add DVDs since few Scandinavian releases are in the collectorz database. Bit of a workaround, obviously, but I really haven't found another product that I'm too happy with. Still looking though... sadly. :-\

It's an interesting option but I don't have version 5.xx though as I rebuilt/reinstalled my computer after I stopped using it and don't imagine that I can get it off the website. Maybe it's around somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:39 PM by legless »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2009, 01:40 AM »
I thought it was still available on their website, but apparently not... I might have the installer for the latest 5.x version though, if you're interested. As long as you've still got your license for it, it'll work. Just PM me if you're interested.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2009, 01:20 AM »
A lot of versions available for download at the OldVersion.com forum. Worth a try.

Jim

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Some more threads have mysteriously vanished from the Collectorz board :-\

I'm starting the conversion to eXtreme Movie Manager. While not the most beautiful app out there, it's got tons of features, uses a number of scripts (more can be added by users) to import data, is actively developed by an author who seems genuinely interested in his customers. The program only costs $10 btw! Data exported from Movie Collector to XML can be imported (images as well!) so the change didn't take long, but there's a fair bit of updating needed. Best alternative I've found!

Only 10$ , unlimited updats included!
(sic) ;)

Hey Tuck,

I did exactly the same thing a couple days ago and without seeing or reading this thread. What a coincidence!

When you're done, you want to convert my movies too?

Hope you're doing well.

Take care, Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Really good to see you posting here again, Ken! I'm having a hard time really adjusting to eXtreme Movie Manager TBH, Collectorz really made a good app. But I'd love to move away from this company, which seems more intent on collecting money than anything else, really. A shame, since they make great software.  :-\

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2009, 07:33 PM »
From alwin and posted to this thread.

I have also attached the topic zipped in case he deletes it.

Thank you Josh. I can only imagine he will as every other post referred to in this thread have been deleted. Maybe it's just a coincidence though. :lol:
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Really good to see you posting here again, Ken! I'm having a hard time really adjusting to eXtreme Movie Manager TBH, Collectorz really made a good app. But I'd love to move away from this company, which seems more intent on collecting money than anything else, really. A shame, since they make great software.  :-\

Thanks Tuck!!! It's very good indeed to 'see' you here, as well as the other users. I have not been following the forum for a while, perhaps at all since I moved to Austin. I have been busy trying to adapt to my new life in Texas and my participation in the forum and chat room have been on pause. I am starting to catch up with things a bit though and hopefully, I will be able to drop in more and more though.

Here's to the next time, :beerchug:
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37 PM »
I already moved to DVD Profiler. I still have MOC v 5.6 but I don't believe I will be going forward with it. It is working fine for me now but I'm sure that won't last, as Alvin is trying to get all users to upgrade of course.

You know, I am not quite that upset with the changes he made. It is his attitude toward users and his terrible demeanor that I don't like. He gets too offensive with his users. I don't need that!

Jim

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2009, 12:06 AM »
I already moved to DVD Profiler. I still have MOC v 5.6 but I don't believe I will be going forward with it. It is working fine for me now but I'm sure that won't last, as Alvin is trying to get all users to upgrade of course.

You know, I am not quite that upset with the changes he made. It is his attitude toward users and his terrible demeanor that I don't like. He gets too offensive with his users. I don't need that!

Jim

Yeah, I know what you mean Jim. While I have my issues with the software, I am going to stop using it because of the way Alvin does business and abuses his customers. Also, I like to support the development of good software whenever I can and this seems like the perfect opportunity.

To those ends,  I just bought Extreme Movie Manager (for only $10), though I haven't started using it yet. After looking at DVD Profiler though, I like the looks of it too and all future versions after purchase are free of charge. So, I'd like to purchase it and support its development as well, but surely NO ONE would EVER buy yet another program largely to support the competition's software development.  :P

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Man, there are two programs I can't use. If KenR is using XMM or DVDP, I cannot in good conscience use either :/

;) :Thmbsup:

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Man, there are two programs I can't use. If KenR is using XMM or DVDP, I cannot in good conscience use either :/

;) :Thmbsup:

LOL!!! That's right Josh, you can't. So you just go on using using Movie Collector. Keep making angry posts in the forum that get deleted, paying for the new required service, and buying the latest required update because the last one is no longer supported.  Enjoy that collection of DVDs Josh!
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2009, 10:02 AM »
heh. For anyone who isn't tracking, Ken and I have a very joking relationship on IRC ;-)

Anyways, Collectorz does make a nice application, but I am not entering all of this information only to submit it to collectorz and have them charge for it later. Nuts to that.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2009, 01:32 PM »
heh. For anyone who isn't tracking, Ken and I have a very joking relationship on IRC ;-)

Anyways, Collectorz does make a nice application, but I am not entering all of this information only to submit it to collectorz and have them charge for it later. Nuts to that.

Josh, I know that you remember all the "way out there, ranting" posts made about two years ago, where out-spoken users claimed that Collectorz.com would be locking customers into their database and having users build it. And then moving the program to a web-based program and taking away all control over your collections.

Man oh man, the raging, conspiracy-theorist maniacs were right!!!   :o  The sky truly IS falling!!   :P ;D ;D

Jim

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Latest news from Collectorz - now you can save $79 (ha ha) when you 'buy' Collectorz software:

This is Alwin, with great news:
Our new service "Movie Collector Connect" is now live!

Here's quick reminder of what Movie Collector Connect is:

* An easy way to put your movie list online, on Collectorz.com servers
* Share your movie collection with friends by just emailing them a web-link
* Browse your movies from any online mobile device
* Uploading your data to Connect is easy, just use the new Synchronize feature
 from the "Connect" menu (available in Movie Collector 6.3 only!).

Here's a preview of what your collection could look like online:

http://connect.colle...om/users/demo/movies

Special offer - $79.90 discount. Valid through August 15:

** Movie Collector 6 plus one year of Movie Collector Connect for $39.95 **

Yeh right ...

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Who in their right mind spends $50 a year to host a movie collection? Well, good luck to them... :-\

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56 AM »
Who in their right mind spends $50 a year to host a movie collection? Well, good luck to them... :-\
I know.  That's insane.  I like Collectorz software, but that's no good.  I'd have to be buying a hell of a lot of movies (like mulitple DVD's per week) to justify spending money for a $50/year catalog database.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I've never used or purchased any Collectorz software, but I remember checking their software out when they first released all their programs & I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "These guys are taking one program and database, changing the labels to suit different types of collections, and reselling the same program over and over masquerading as different, distinct programs. Is there any possible way a software company could exhibit more greed and be even more unscrupulous?"

Sadly, all these years later, Collectorz has shown me the answer to that question. My sympathies to all who bought into their crap & may the authors have a special circle of Hell reserved for them due to their greed & business practices.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I've never used or purchased any Collectorz software, but I remember checking their software out when they first released all their programs & I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "These guys are taking one program and database, changing the labels to suit different types of collections, and reselling the same program over and over masquerading as different, distinct programs. Is there any possible way a software company could exhibit more greed and be even more unscrupulous?"

Sadly, all these years later, Collectorz has shown me the answer to that question. My sympathies to all who bought into their crap & may the authors have a special circle of Hell reserved for them due to their greed & business practices.
I don't have a problem with them making a core engine, and then tweaking it for several different applications.  A lot of developers do that.  Like Powermarks and MP3Rat, which are both developed around the same search dialog box feature.  So that doesn't bother me.

But they have always had somewhat of an abrasive attitude.  Years ago, in the lifetime license era, they were good with customer support.  But then they became more and more shady.  You could see that more of their decisions were becoming slanted towards "good business" at the expense of customer satisfaction/preference.  There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it does tend to rub people the wrong way, especially in the software world.

They do make good software, though.  I still haven't found a better alternative.  I'm hoping someone will eventually come along that does it better with a better attitude.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Today's email:

Alwin here, with some bad news.
It looks like we have a problem. And because it could affect almost all
Collectorz.com customers and their usage of our software,
I wanted to let you all know what is happening, immediately.

Anyway, here it is. This morning, I received the following email from Amazon:

========================================================
Subject: Your Amazon Associates Acount

It has come to our attention that you have created applications for use with
mobile devices which use Amazon.com content.  The use of a mobile application
in conjunction with the Product Advertising API or the Associates Program
without our express prior written approval is not permitted.

As a result, we must insist that you cease this use of our services immediately.
Moreover, because of this violation of both the Product Advertising API License
Agreement and the Associates Operating Agreement, your Associates accounts have
been closed and your access key turned off.

We thank you for your understanding and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Is it me being cynical when I think Alwin will be say 'yippee' at this amongst crocodile tears?

It puts another nail in the coffin of early versions and means anyone still using Collectorz will  be 'encouraged' to move to the new version.

At the moment Amazon still works and the email goes on to say that all iPhone apps have been withdrawn so that the Amazon account might be preserved.

Maybe I am being unduly cynical but I can't help feeling the death of the Amazon account would be more in line with Collectorz forward view so the comment that iPhone apps may never reappear sounds a bit iffy to me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:22 PM by Carol Haynes »