ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Collectorz.com... again!

<< < (13/24) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Hey - Librarian Pro is almost exactly what I want!

OK the detail isn't that comprehensive and the graphics are much smaller (and it is more clunky to add graphics if you need to) but the fact that I can sit and just go through a stack of items with a barcode reader and it just adds them instantly (and confirms verbally what it is doing) is great.

So far I have tried some really obscure things and it is has found anything with a barcode. The only issue I have is that I have a lot of DVDs from Region 1 and Region 2 and so I occasionally have to swap Amazon UK to Amazon US to get the code to work (shame you can't specify a search sequence so that if it doesn't find it at one site it moves on to the next in the list).

Add to that you can catalogue Books, CDs, MP3 and iTunes libraries, hardware and software all in one application and it is exactly the sort of thing I need.

Also as a single user I can install it legally on as many computers as I want (for my use) including Windows and Mac machines and it seems ideal.

Thanks for the heads up.

Darwin:
Cool - glad that Librarian Pro looks to be useful. I have a license for it so may try it again. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have much use for cataloguing my stuff. I like the cataloguing, but find that I don't make much use of the catalogue  ;D Not unlike WhereIsIt? - great bit of software but I barely used it when I had it installed, other than to keep it up to date (USB Thumbdrive contents). No doubt I'll reach a point where I need this functionality and rue the day I uninstalled the software (and stopped updating the catalogues), but such is life!

Josh:
Be advised, collectorz WILL be changing to a SUBSCRIPTION model for their online service:

See here

Thread zipped and attached in case of deletion.

Also, please note, if you use collectorz' product and wish to import your database into DVD Profiler you can do the following from the premium version (29.95).

Install the UPC Import plugin.

In collectorz movie collector, create a custom export where only the UPC is selected and save it to a file.

Open that file and remove all quotation marks and save the file. Then use the import feature from within DVD Profiler.

Carol Haynes:
Be advised, collectorz WILL be changing to a SUBSCRIPTION model for their online service
-Josh (March 24, 2009, 03:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does that really come as a surprise?

Doubtless Alwin will still charge for the software and then expect you to pay to be allowed to submit data!

Actually this is another reason why the single data model was designed (IMHO) - in the older software third party scripts were possible to access data. In theory that means that someone could set up a rival database or update the access scripts for Amazon etc.

Maybe there is a future in Movie Collectorz 5 and that will be user support access to sensible databases for free.

I love that in that thread he says the problem is the user is using a barcode reader (and the bar codes for new titles are not in the database instantly) - given that they actively target the software at barcode use (and charge a premium price for barcode reader packages)!

Carol Haynes:
Cool - glad that Librarian Pro looks to be useful. I have a license for it so may try it again. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have much use for cataloguing my stuff. I like the cataloguing, but find that I don't make much use of the catalogue  ;D Not unlike WhereIsIt? - great bit of software but I barely used it when I had it installed, other than to keep it up to date (USB Thumbdrive contents). No doubt I'll reach a point where I need this functionality and rue the day I uninstalled the software (and stopped updating the catalogues), but such is life!
-Darwin (March 23, 2009, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

One of the things I like is the innovative idea (currently in beta form) to use barcodes with a webcam - so ultimately it may allow you to simply wave the barcode at your webcam. Now that would be brilliant.

The reason I need to catalogue everything isn't so much to know what I have but I have large collections of Books (literally thousands), CDs and DVDs and most of the time struggle to find what I am looking for. Using software to catalogue my collections means I can add a location code to find things quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version