topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Collectorz.com... again!  (Read 93342 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Collectorz.com... again!
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Also, please note, Alwin has removed that entire topic, 5 pages of posts, which I just quoted.

ropt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2009, 09:11 AM »

hi
two years ago,

one of my friends wrote a similar app to Alwin's collectorz application. if I remember, it was for movies collecting...
He was promptly served with copyright legal notices and websites which linked to his sites got DCMA take-down notices.

I guess Alwin is busy "protecting" his applications from competition...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2009, 02:14 PM »
I downloaded DVDProfiler. Feature set looks good, but I'm not in love with the GUI. What the heck is that programmed in? E.g., I right-clicked on the Toolbar and clicked "Customize" to see what I could do about the humongous toolbar & icons. Unfortunately the "Customize" dialog had a drop shadow on the right and bottom - and they never did go away. Whatever I looked at after that had four black lines in the center: two from where the dialog initially opened, and two more at the location where I moved it to.

Didn't go away until I rebooted. I've seen this before and I hate apps that do that. Is it a Java app? Anyone know what does that?

Thanks!

Jim

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Here is, although very ugly (Thanks foxit pdf printer), another thread which is liable to be deleted. This one shows alwin basically saying "I do not care if you stop using it, my sales figures show that we will replace you in no time".

Check it out

original thread: Here

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36 PM »
I like this quote from Alwin (to put it in context, he's responding to darksoul's argument that IMDB access should be restored to version 6). Very nice:

darksoul wrote:
what I'm trying to say is why don't they realize they'll make even more money by bringing back this one feature

No, "they" won't. I am 100% sure that sales will go DOWN as soon as we re-introduce the other sources.
So, we won't.

Sometimes less really IS more.

Why not just give it up? It's been over 3 months now.
We will NEVER EVER bring back the other sources. There's simple too many reasons why this single source setup is the way to go, now and for the future.

I don't get any of his arguments. But WTH do I know?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2009, 10:37 PM »
PS How would allowing customers to access more than one database drive sales down?!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2009, 11:17 PM »
PS How would allowing customers to access more than one database drive sales down?!

Another thing - Alwin keeps insisting that Movie Collector 6 sales are way up, much higher than ever, and all due to restricting users to their own less-than-sufficient database. Whether or not the user posting claims that they are losing sales, he keeps making sure to herald that his sales are up soooo high that he's just, well, delirious.

Why on earth would Alwin care so much what unhappy users are saying in the forum that he insists on shouting out how much his sales are up? Certainly not necessary, unless he is just dying to gloat about it and shove it in their faces. Personally I have no idea what his sales are like, and to be honest I haven't a care about it either. However, methinks he doth protest too much!

His personality seems to be such that he must lash out against any criticism whatsoever, damn the consequences! I am trying a few other products so I can move my data to something new. Who knows if the new program I decide to use will last long either, but Alwin has already stated that he will be shutting down all support for MoC5 sometime this year, and seeing as to how venomous he is, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him shut it down very quickly and unexpectedly - maybe right after his big upgrade plea this past weekend. He would see anyone who did not upgrade as his tormentors and figure that he'll show them. Truly sad.

Jim

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 06:18 AM »
I right-clicked on the Toolbar and clicked "Customize" to see what I could do about the humongous toolbar & icons. Unfortunately the "Customize" dialog had a drop shadow on the right and bottom - and they never did go away. Whatever I looked at after that had four black lines in the center: two from where the dialog initially opened, and two more at the location where I moved it to.

Didn't go away until I rebooted. I've seen this before and I hate apps that do that. Is it a Java app? Anyone know what does that?

Does happen on my system at all. As for large icons you can turn off large icons in the toolbar context menu options.

Have you tried using a different layout if you don't like the default version? There are 4 supplied with the app and loads more that can be downloaded from the website.

My only regret is that this isn't an all in one solution for CDs and Books too. It works great with a barcode reader - very few misses in the database (and those that are are pretty obscure - I am into opera and I don't really expect it to have 1970s opera listings), the cover artwork is good (once you register it), it is much quicker and more intuitive to use (IMHO) than Collectorz.

I suppose ralistically with Collectorz I should get all my databases updated while there is the option of using an older version with multiple sources and then convert to the new version. At least then I would only have to manually add stuff one at a time as I buy it, and I'd guess popular recent releases will get into the database. I have lifetime licenses on Books, Music and Movie products but I suppose my biggest worry is that Alwin will make similar unilateral and unpopular decisions in the future that mean I really don't want to be locked in to his system.

I wonder if I can get a refund on the lifetime licenses now - I bought them quite a while ago?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2009, 12:16 PM »
There's a cross-platform app out called... crap, I can't remember! Librarian Pro. There I did it, that might be worth a look.

If you have both a Mac and a Windows machine, this is a nice option as you pay for one license for both of them and you get 5 or so installations. It's also one application that accepts and categorizes everything (DVDs, CDs, Books, etc.). I gave it a whirl in the fall and liked it enough. However, I uninstalled it because I have lifetime licences for collectorz apps (mp3, Music, Books, and Photos) AND I find that the reality is that I don't use them much. Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there for consideration. I remember little about it - the version I tried wasn't nearly as flexible as the collectorz equivalents.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Thanks Darwin, I'll take a look.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Hey - Librarian Pro is almost exactly what I want!

OK the detail isn't that comprehensive and the graphics are much smaller (and it is more clunky to add graphics if you need to) but the fact that I can sit and just go through a stack of items with a barcode reader and it just adds them instantly (and confirms verbally what it is doing) is great.

So far I have tried some really obscure things and it is has found anything with a barcode. The only issue I have is that I have a lot of DVDs from Region 1 and Region 2 and so I occasionally have to swap Amazon UK to Amazon US to get the code to work (shame you can't specify a search sequence so that if it doesn't find it at one site it moves on to the next in the list).

Add to that you can catalogue Books, CDs, MP3 and iTunes libraries, hardware and software all in one application and it is exactly the sort of thing I need.

Also as a single user I can install it legally on as many computers as I want (for my use) including Windows and Mac machines and it seems ideal.

Thanks for the heads up.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Cool - glad that Librarian Pro looks to be useful. I have a license for it so may try it again. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have much use for cataloguing my stuff. I like the cataloguing, but find that I don't make much use of the catalogue  ;D Not unlike WhereIsIt? - great bit of software but I barely used it when I had it installed, other than to keep it up to date (USB Thumbdrive contents). No doubt I'll reach a point where I need this functionality and rue the day I uninstalled the software (and stopped updating the catalogues), but such is life!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2009, 03:32 AM »
Be advised, collectorz WILL be changing to a SUBSCRIPTION model for their online service:

See here

Thread zipped and attached in case of deletion.

Also, please note, if you use collectorz' product and wish to import your database into DVD Profiler you can do the following from the premium version (29.95).

Install the UPC Import plugin.

In collectorz movie collector, create a custom export where only the UPC is selected and save it to a file.

Open that file and remove all quotation marks and save the file. Then use the import feature from within DVD Profiler.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 04:14 AM by Josh »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 05:12 AM »
Be advised, collectorz WILL be changing to a SUBSCRIPTION model for their online service

Does that really come as a surprise?

Doubtless Alwin will still charge for the software and then expect you to pay to be allowed to submit data!

Actually this is another reason why the single data model was designed (IMHO) - in the older software third party scripts were possible to access data. In theory that means that someone could set up a rival database or update the access scripts for Amazon etc.

Maybe there is a future in Movie Collectorz 5 and that will be user support access to sensible databases for free.

I love that in that thread he says the problem is the user is using a barcode reader (and the bar codes for new titles are not in the database instantly) - given that they actively target the software at barcode use (and charge a premium price for barcode reader packages)!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 05:15 AM »
Cool - glad that Librarian Pro looks to be useful. I have a license for it so may try it again. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have much use for cataloguing my stuff. I like the cataloguing, but find that I don't make much use of the catalogue  ;D Not unlike WhereIsIt? - great bit of software but I barely used it when I had it installed, other than to keep it up to date (USB Thumbdrive contents). No doubt I'll reach a point where I need this functionality and rue the day I uninstalled the software (and stopped updating the catalogues), but such is life!

One of the things I like is the innovative idea (currently in beta form) to use barcodes with a webcam - so ultimately it may allow you to simply wave the barcode at your webcam. Now that would be brilliant.

The reason I need to catalogue everything isn't so much to know what I have but I have large collections of Books (literally thousands), CDs and DVDs and most of the time struggle to find what I am looking for. Using software to catalogue my collections means I can add a location code to find things quickly.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2009, 10:07 AM »
One of the things I like is the innovative idea (currently in beta form) to use barcodes with a webcam - so ultimately it may allow you to simply wave the barcode at your webcam. Now that would be brilliant.
-Carol
:tellme: Judging by the number of times the supermarket cashier has to drag the same can of Heinz Beans across the scanner before it registers its presence that day may be a long time coming. It is an appealing idea though.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Using software to catalogue my collections means I can add a location code to find things quickly.
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2009, 05:15 AM)

Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of, and a use for cataloguing software that hadn't occurred to me... Sadly, however, I'd have to change my habits to make this work for me - I tend to grab a book, get the information I need and then put it down. Weeks later I'll go into a cleaning frenzy and file a stack of books whereever there is space. Thus, cataloguing them and noting location would be futille for me as things stand  :o :-[

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Using software to catalogue my collections means I can add a location code to find things quickly.
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2009, 05:15 AM)

Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of, and a use for cataloguing software that hadn't occurred to me... Sadly, however, I'd have to change my habits to make this work for me - I tend to grab a book, get the information I need and then put it down. Weeks later I'll go into a cleaning frenzy and file a stack of books whereever there is space. Thus, cataloguing them and noting location would be futille for me as things stand  :o :-[

Easy add a small sticky to each item to give the correct location to put it back. That way you aren't wasting time looking for a shelf (or in my case boxes and piles too) with space on it either.

Incidentally, the quote from Alwin about Collectorz going to a subscription based model that Josh mentions is:

As I said earlier: This is simply not true. You are NOT paying for a service. You paid a one time fee to buy our software. The service we provide has always been free.
Which is crazy, I know. And which is why for our online cataloging SERVICE, we will move to a subscription model, that is, a monthly or yearly fee.

It also looks like a neat sidestep around the promise of life time licenses for people who purchased during that period (even thoygh he promised life time licenses would be honoured).

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2009, 01:59 PM »
That was my thought. I am completely ditching collectorz for this. That is a backstab for the many years I supported their software. I would have gladly paid for another license rather than have to pay to use their database which I HELPED POPULATE!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2009, 04:32 PM »
I hope another application comes along that can do what MP3 Collectorz does.  Librarian Pro may be okay for now, but from first glance, it still isn't quite as hard-core of an application as mp3 collector was/is.  maybe I should look at it a little bit more.

it's a shame that the two best applications for mp3 organization are dying (I made a thread on this earlier).  MP3Rat is gone, and Mp3 collector is slowly PO'ing everyone.  All the other apps are not nearly as good from what I've seen.  It's because everyone is using whatever default cataloging system comes with their preferred jukebox software...itunes, winamp, etc.  I'm not bashing them, they work fine and are obviously satisfying their users.  But there's something so beautiful about a dedicated program for mp3 cataloging...like, it's specifically built for doing that exactly and it does it really, exceptionally well.  But only a handful of us appreciate it, i suppose.  Darn.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Some more threads have mysteriously vanished from the Collectorz board :-\

I'm starting the conversion to eXtreme Movie Manager. While not the most beautiful app out there, it's got tons of features, uses a number of scripts (more can be added by users) to import data, is actively developed by an author who seems genuinely interested in his customers. The program only costs $10 btw! Data exported from Movie Collector to XML can be imported (images as well!) so the change didn't take long, but there's a fair bit of updating needed. Best alternative I've found!

Only 10$ , unlimited updats included!
(sic) ;)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2009, 05:01 PM »
It also looks like a neat sidestep around the promise of life time licenses for people who purchased during that period (even thoygh he promised life time licenses would be honoured).
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2009, 01:45 PM)

I'd say it's unethical because even today, when they've admitted that they plan to charge for the service, they are requiring people to PAY for software with an (implicit) promise of a free service for their one-time expenditure.

It's one thing to change their business model. I have a lifetime license, so I wouldn't like it. But I think they're free to launch a NEW product that is subscription-based.

But now it looks like they're trying to suck as many people in as possible in a way that makes them dependent on the service, and then switch models in midstream, getting the poor consumers coming and going. And this is why Alwin thinks that he'll be prospering: he's got a tidy little plan for shaking down his customers when they can't do anything about it.

I've got a lifetime subscription to Movies and Books from them. But they'll be going into the trash.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Some more threads have mysteriously vanished from the Collectorz board :-\

I'm starting the conversion to eXtreme Movie Manager. While not the most beautiful app out there, it's got tons of features, uses a number of scripts (more can be added by users) to import data, is actively developed by an author who seems genuinely interested in his customers. The program only costs $10 btw! Data exported from Movie Collector to XML can be imported (images as well!) so the change didn't take long, but there's a fair bit of updating needed. Best alternative I've found!

Only 10$ , unlimited updats included!
(sic) ;)

I have just downloaded XMM to have a look-see but I find it a bit worrying on their download page that there is a link about Vista compatibility. It says you need to run in in XP SP2 compatibility mode and with administrator privileges. Given that Vista has been out for quite a while now and XP (at least from a commercial perspective) is dead it is worrying that the latest release (on 23rd March) is still only really an XP application. Stating that it is fully Vista compatible seems to miss the point if you have to use XP/admin tweaks to get it to run properly ???

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2009, 05:13 PM »
P.S... URGENT NOTICE: While Movie Collector is the fastest, most powerful
version we've ever made, it does not fit the cataloging methods or
collection styles of all of our customers. If you have an collection of
older films, mostly adult movies, or MUST have data from sources like IMDb,
this upgrade is NOT FOR YOU. I repeat, if you fit into one of these
categories, then you are most likely not going to be happy with Movie
Collector 6.1.

Why?

Because in order to make our software easier, searches faster, and move
toward things like an online version and iPhone apps, we had to bring all
the search data into our in-house database. The Collectorz.com database has
over 100,000 movies, with almost 150,000 barcodes... and it continues to
grow, get faster, and be more complete everyday. But it still does not
have very many older or more obscure movies.

Again, with Movie Collector 6.1 you will NOT be able to access info from
IMDb, DVD Empire or ANY OTHER external source. Wondering if your movies
are in the new version?
Give v6.1 a test drive with the trial version and see.

Of course, you can continue to use Movie Collector 5 indefinitely, but
coming December 31, we will no longer support this version. Already all
development and upgrades have stopped on this out-dated version. I hope
you'll join us as we move forward, but understand if you can't.

From alwin and posted to this thread.

I have also attached the topic zipped in case he deletes it.