ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does anyone know any free alternative to Driver Updater Pro?

(1/2) > >>

Paul Keith:
After encountering a problem where an HP printer won't print in landscape and would constantly hang when deleting items from the print queue, I decided to download the latest drivers from it only to find out about Driver Updater Pro and it detected some outdated drivers.

Problem is, it requires a registration to auto-download the lacking drivers.

PhilB66:
gHacks "Free Driver Update" article mentioned RadarSysnc 2009.

hpearce:
how about this ... just saw it recently http://elitefreeware.blogspot.com/2008/10/drivermax-will-keep-all-of-your-windows.html

40hz:
Innovative Solutions's newest version of DriverMax can check for updates.

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

The procedure for downloading and installing driver updates is a little unintuitive, but it works. Mostly.

Note of caution: I'd suggest you ignore any recommendations it makes for updating your mobo, graphic, or chipset drivers. For those, you'd be better off going directly to the respective manufacturer's websites. My girlfriend's machine that had its sound disabled after a DriverMax recommended update was made to her Realtek drivers. I had to roll back the driver and go over to her PC manufacturer's download page to get the correct Realtek update for her machine.  Meh! :down:

I think it's best to use an application like this purely for informational purposes. I use DMax to get a heads-up on driver updates, but I always go directly to your hardware vendor to get the actual drivers.

Paul Keith:
Thanks for the heads up 40hz, I nearly did that when Driver Updater Pro said it was outdated.

Edit: Oh wow, how to trust both programs. DriverMax requires registration while RadarSync doesn't even know which Opera version is the latest so how can I trust both? Hmm...

Interestingly enough, both didn't show my HP printer drivers as out-of-date.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version