ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IDEA: programs that I have uninstalled

(1/4) > >>

techidave:
After reading today the thread about UltraExplorer, I wondered if I had ever tried it before in the past, but then uninstalled it.  So I was wondering if there was a way to tell if I had installed a program and then after a trial period, uninstalled it.  Would almost be nice to have comments on an uninstaller so you would know why you didn't like it.

maybe something already exists but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!

whoops.  I just realized I posted it in the wrong place.  sorry about that.

mouser:
Rather than look for a fancy technical solution to this, i would recommend a simple habit of keeping notes of everything you install and why (and making a note of why you uninstalled).

Think of it like a computer diary -- and keep track also of any tricks you discover, registry changes you make, etc.

It makes putting together a new pc easier.

40hz:
What a great idea!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Mouser is right about just keeping your own log if it's just your machine. But I couldn't help thinking of a bigger picture.

An uninstall log would be extremely useful for forensic and postmortem support analysis functions. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to troubleshoot a system, where the problem was caused by a piece of software that was no longer on the machine. If I knew somebody had installed and removed something in my personal 'rogues gallery' of ill-behaved applications, I'd be way ahead of the game. So if there was a way to keep an automatic audit trail of all installs and uninstalls, I'd be more grateful than words could tell.

Thought: Maybe you could suggest it to somebody the VS Revo Group if you don't want to develop the idea yourself? They make the excellent freeware Revo Uninstaller. They're usually quite receptive to suggestions for product improvements.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/contacts.html

EDIT: If you want to keep a handy tech journal on your computer, check out the freebie Advanced Diary:
Link:  http://advanced-diary.uptodown.com/en/

It's a great little app. I have a copy on each machine I own for keeping notes, registration codes, etc. You could also use any one of the free tree-type note organizers if you don't like the daybook metaphor.

rjbull:
This feature is partially present in Total Uninstall, where uninstalled apps appear greyed-out in the list, but in the old version 3.83 I run there's no place to add notes on why they were uninstalled.

techidave:
I have tried a paper log in the past, it gets misplaced or lost and then I don't have it anymore.  I have tried a word document and then I cannot find it in my unorganized directory structure.

Since windows usually keeps track of almost everything, I thought surely it has something like "uninstalled applications" buried somewhere.  I just didn't know where to look for it or how to read it if it does exist.

I did look at the Revo uninstaller and noticed it can do alot but not what I want.  I didn't think about contacting the developer.

I will investigate Advanced Diary and Total Uninstall later on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version