ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CHS - New feature coming in next release - SendKeys

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
I'll be uploading a new release of CHS this weekend.
Mostly it's minor stuff and a couple of bugfixes.
But i wanted to tell you about a cool new feature:

Normally CHS pastes text by putting it on the clipboard and then simulating a CTRL+V in the target window.  This works fine in 99% of cases.

But now if a clip starts with {sendkeys} then CHS will use an alternative method of pasting the clip into the target application (or you can set it to use the alternate method by default).

The new method simulates each key press one at a time, and most importantly, can send tabs, function keys, ctrl keys, etc.

This will let you create clips that actually fill out multiple fields by putting a TAB after each field.

And a really cool example of this is that you can create a Formatting Preset for example, that takes a string like 1111-2222-3333 and converts it to:
{sendkeys}1111{TAB}2222{TAB}3333

If you call this formatting preset something like "Paste Serial Into Fields" you can see why it would be useful -- you can use it to fill in a multi-field serial number dialog in an installation program using only a couple of key presses:

* Select the string with dashes in it
* Move to the first serial number field in the installer
* Hit Ctrl+Alt+Q to bring up the quick paste menu (or whatever hotkey you configured), and choose the "Paste Serial Into Fields" preset from the menu.
* All done.

rjbull:
mouser,

Will there be a configurable delay between simulated keypresses?  You've nearly got a macro application there.

mouser:
I can't really take credit for the functionality -- i'm using a 3rd party library -- but actually it does support delays.
See the help page for the different kinds of keys you can send and other options:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/help/advanced_sendkeys_method_of_pa.htm

I uploaded a CHS beta if you want to experiment:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/downloads/beta/ClipboardHelpAndSpellSetup.exe

rjbull:
I can't really take credit for the functionality -- i'm using a 3rd party library -- but actually it does support delays.
-mouser (November 28, 2008, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Updated help file as well :)  With those features, you might get people wanting to use it for passwords/logins.  I presume that CHS's database isn't secure enough for that?  Not sure I'd need it to be - too used to KeePass and Roboform now, not to mention Linkstash.  But it should come in handy for filling in repetitive forms, especially for people who don't have Roboform, or use browsers Roboform doesn't support, like K-Meleon.

I uploaded a CHS beta if you want to experiment:

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  I'll download and try it out as soon as I can.

mouser:
I presume that CHS's database isn't secure enough for that?
--- End quote ---

correct -- i would not use it for anything like that, and RoboForm is so much better at such things, as are all browser form fillers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version