ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Regular Expression Designer: Free Program to Help you Build Regular Expressions

<< < (4/4)

ewemoa:
Does anyone know any regex tester that can work on the focused window content? So basically I would type my regex in the regexpap, and  the app would look for a match that is under the regex app window, like Firefox, Word etc.
-kartal (February 17, 2010, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Don't know of any such tool -- sounds like an interesting idea.

<dreaming>
I guess for each application type (and perhaps by type of window), specifically what you want your regular expressions to work on may vary.

For Firefox, if your current tab happened to be a web page, I presume you'd want the regular expression to apply to the underlying HTML (so -- would this be what was retrieved or some representation of the current DOM?).  What if I'm looking at an FTP directory listing though...perhaps whatever you can get via "View Page Source"?

For something like Notepad, it seems like it might be straight-forward.

One might even get OCR involved for certain types of situations...e.g. PDFs that are basically a series of images of text.

May be a plug-in system for such a tool could provide a means for people to contribute handling for specific situations...
</dreaming>

Anyway...hope there is something like this already ;)  (May be some of the text expansion tools are in a good position to provide this type of functionality?  Or perhaps some AHK script?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version