ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Regular Expression Designer: Free Program to Help you Build Regular Expressions

<< < (3/4) > >>

widgewunner:
I was going to download and try it until I saw this...

.NET Framework 1.1/2.0 Required

I've managed to keep my box free of .NET up until now. Although I am aware that the .NET regex engine is quite powerful after reading about it in Mastering Regular Expressions (its one of the only engines that allows for variable length look-behind). I'd give it a try, but my regex tool of choice is regexbuddy, which does everything I need (except recursive expressions).

mwb1100:
I was going to download and try it until I saw this...

.NET Framework 1.1/2.0 Required

I've managed to keep my box free of .NET up until now...
-widgewunner (February 16, 2010, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

To each his own, but I don't understand this aversion to .NET - it's been around for about 8 years now and as far as I know it hasn't been the cause of any security holes or other major problems.

It is a fair sized download, but that only happens once (or once every major upgrade) and it's smaller than service pack. I can also understand the irritation of having to wait for a .NET application to start up; but if the application does what I want, it might be worth the wait. On the other hand if the application isn't good enough to justify the startup delay then I don't use it.

However, to be 'against' the .NET framework itself doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's just a tool.  I know there are people who have a similar attitude toward Java programs, but if the program looks and acts like a native program (and there are Java programs that do), performs well and does what I want, why would I refuse it simply because it's Java?

f0dder:
And .NET programs don't really take that long to start, anyway. Paint.NET, for instance, is around 1 second on my machine - I find that acceptable. And C# is a pretty darn nice programming language :). I understand aversion to Java better, but only because most Java UIs look like crap and are pretty darn sluggish... the platform itself offer acceptable performance for a lot of stuff, really :)

Eóin:
Not just C#, been reading a book on F# these days and it also seems really nice.

kartal:
Does anyone know any regex tester that can work on the focused window content? So basically I would type my regex in the regexpap, and  the app would look for a match that is under the regex app window, like Firefox, Word etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version