ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to start a new AntiVirus/Internet Security Suite review thread?

<< < (15/17) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I jumped onto the beta DL (which now appears to be closed) and grabbed all 3 (32, 64, & XP) and will be playing with this later this weekend. From the video it appears to have been brilliantly done (simple, quick, & straight forward).

Innuendo:
MrCrispy, I never used OneCare. I was just passing along what I had heard. This new beta is supposed to use the same engine as their corporate/enterprise product and is supposed to be quite good.

For those who missed out on downloading the beta when last I checked one could download it from Softpedia.

EDIT: Found where I heard OneCare wasn't all that great. MrCrispy, you link to AV Comparitive's latest Retrospective/Proactive test. However, their latest On-Demand test did not show OneCare in such a flattering light:

http://av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf

MS OneCare scored 87.1% on the On-Demand test ranking them 16 out of 17 participants. That's awful. Hopefully, MS will rise to the challenge and do better in future tests.

MrCrispy:
I'm sorry, I should have read the on demand report as well. Now OneCare doesn't look so good after all. I myself don't use it anymore (switched to Avira) but it was simple to use and had integrated backup etc.

From the remove-malware.com review, MSE does seem to handle the latest threats very well, so it looks like a good start.

Stoic Joker:
However in the same report MS had the best score for the least FP's out of any of the tested products. Which begs the question; are the others really better (more accurate) or are they just jumping blindly at anything?

Trust must factor into the assessment, and if the scanner is just flagging anything that confuses it then it's really more chicken little then trusted companion. Especially when it's hogging massive amounts of system resources like Symantec or McAfee which scored high on said accuracy test.

cyberdiva:
Trust must factor into the assessment, and if the scanner is just flagging anything that confuses it then it's really more chicken little then trusted companion. Especially when it's hogging massive amounts of system resources like Symantec or McAfee which scored high on said accuracy test.
-Stoic Joker (June 28, 2009, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
I hate the fact that McAfee is a resource hog--I've thought of ditching it several times just for that.  However, I still use it, and I think these results help to show why.  They certainly do not suggest that McAfee is "just flagging anything that confuses it."  Indeed, it scored 3rd best on false positives, while also scoring very high on overall anti-malware effectiveness. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version