ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to start a new AntiVirus/Internet Security Suite review thread?

<< < (11/17) > >>

J-Mac:
Similarly, I have read only good things about PrevX; however virtually all I have read about it has come from very loyal and dedicated users, so these are not unbiased opinions. I haven't seen any truly independent reviews - or whatever passes anymore for "independent" reviews.

Jim

4wd:
And I just realized that I got a better deal than I thought...that lifetime license is good for 3 PCs.
-Innuendo (June 02, 2009, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also took them up on their offer, (which they extended to the end of January, IIRC).  I thought it was an absolute bargain at the time...and still do :)

Innuendo:
I bought Agnitum's suite for the firewall mostly. In every firewall test I have seen 3 products dominate the top of the charts every time: Agnitum's Outpost, Comodo, and Online Armor.

Comodo has way too much drama swirling about it for me to ever take it seriously as a product that's going to keep my PC safe no matter how well it does in tests. Online Armor, while good, is quirky at times and the numerous BSODs people are reporting with the product doesn't leave me feeling warm and secure. Online Armor does not yet support x64 or Windows 7 yet, either.

Even if I eventually end with turning everything off in Outpost except the firewall and using it alongside another anti-virus I still think I got a good deal.

mnemonic:
So, I guess that you can get away with a fairly low-cost setup:

(1) A good anti-virus
(2) A hardware router
(3) Firefox with Adblock and Noscript
(4) A bit of "safe surfing" (i.e. not clicking on that "download Smileys!" link)

Avira security suite looks interesting, but I'd want to turn-off the firewall due to the annoyance factor.  Does it really offer a lot more than the free anti-virus?  Reading the Avira comparison chart, it seems that the suite includes "enhanced antispyware" and "antibot".  Unfortunately, it doesn't really explain what extra protection these functions really give you.

Innuendo:
When you're dealing with Avira one thing that you will have to get used to is false positives. Every release I have tried to date has way too many false positives for my liking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version