ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to start a new AntiVirus/Internet Security Suite review thread?

<< < (9/17) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'm running Sunbelt's VIPRE on four notebooks. It's been very solid under XP 32-bit SP-2 and SP-3, Vista 64 bit SP-1 and SP-2, Vista 32 bit SP-1 (hasn't been updated to SP-3 yet), and Win 2k SP-4.
-Darwin (June 01, 2009, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm still using Avast due to its being light, fast, free, & reasonably accurate ... But I have been curious about VIPRE for awhile. How (Um...) "Modular" is it? (To clarify what I'm after) I noticed the free version comes bundled with/includes a firewall (Which aggravates the bloody hell out of me) ... Can it be removed from the package during the install, or does it have to be suffered through and crippled later?

Darwin:
Sunbelt's Firewall is a separate download/install from VIPRE, as far as I know. I have a licence for the firewall but don't have it installed because it annoys the bloody hell out of me, as well! Thus, at worst it will need to be uninstalled while at best it isn't part of the package at all.

Innuendo:
I'm not using anything right now when I have been using something I usually install Agnitum's Outpost Security Suite Pro. In the past their AV has been weak, but recent AV comparison tests show that they've been working on fixing that flaw.

Their firewall is best in class. It's one of the few that consistently scores 100% on leak tests. For those with affinities towards skulls, Agnitum thoughtfully included an auto-learn mode for the firewall. For one or two weeks you can put it in auto-learn mode and all your programs will be given firewall permissions.

It's a little more resource-intensive than I would like, but it protects you from everything & the latest beta will allow you to opt not to install the components you know you aren't going to use.

I bought it on a whim during their last sale when they were selling lifetime licenses and I was in a mind to putting an end to yearly AV subscription costs.

Darwin:
I bought it on a whim during their last sale when they were selling lifetime licenses and I was in a mind to putting an end to yearly AV subscription costs.
-Innuendo (June 02, 2009, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dang! I'd jump at something like that... Though $15-30 a year for peace of mind is a small price to pay, all things considered. Still...

mwb1100:
-Innuendo (June 02, 2009, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dang! I'd jump at something like that... Though $15-30 a year for peace of mind is a small price to pay, all things considered. Still...
-Darwin (June 02, 2009, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Too bad you missed it - it was discussed on DC in at least one thread.  Anyway, if you're in a mind for lifetime licenses, Agnitum is currently selling lifetime licenses for Outpost Pro (but not the Security Suite as far as I can tell).  It doesn't include the antivirus, but is a lifetime license for the firewall (2 June 2009):

http://www.agnitum.com/purchase/outpost/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version