ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to start a new AntiVirus/Internet Security Suite review thread?

<< < (8/17) > >>

J-Mac:
While that is good advice J-mac, it ignores the context of this thread.

I mean theoretically everything can be safe if you have a backup irregardless of your security settings and it might help improve your security settings if you have the correct attitude in dealing with these but this ignores people who have different habits as well as people who don't have the technical knowledge to rely on anything but their antiviruses.

-Paul Keith (December 03, 2008, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Paul,

That wasn’t my point, actually. I just kinda threw that in there for good measure!

My point was that using an A-V with well-tested heuristics is about as good as almost anyone here would need to protect against zero-day infections. Fearing that special zero-day infection even with that good A-V is, well, fatalistic. If you don’t feel that an A-V with good heuristic capabilities can protect you to your satisfaction, then yes: you definitely need a fall-back plan. Like backups! Rather than a "better" Anti-Virus. 8)

Jim

Paul Keith:
Ahh, sorry for missing your point.

tinjaw:
I am at that point in rebuilding my laptop (Vista) that I need to choose some AV. I am old school and rely on my experience to know what to avoid. The only AV I need is an on-demand scanner. For example to scan email attachments on-demand when I get attachments from people I know or when I download a program to install.

I have looked at AV-Comparatives and AV-test.org and think I am going to grab a copy of Avira AntiVir Personal. I will use it 99% of the time as a console app invoked by another program like Firefox, WinRAR, or similar.

mnemonic:
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I'd be interested in finding out what everyone decided upon in the end.

Darwin:
I'm running Sunbelt's VIPRE on four notebooks. It's been very solid under XP 32-bit SP-2 and SP-3, Vista 64 bit SP-1 and SP-2, Vista 32 bit SP-1 (hasn't been updated to SP-3 yet), and Win 2k SP-4.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version