ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to start a new AntiVirus/Internet Security Suite review thread?

<< < (3/17) > >>

tomos:
I've been using the trial of AntiVir "Premium"

One process running:

* 3 to 4 MB "Private Bytes"
* 0% CPU-tomos (November 26, 2008, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ooups, I didnt have "Show proccesses from all users" ticked in Process Explorer
make that:-

5 processes running (may depend on your settings)

CPU           Private Bytes
avesvc.exe          74176 K     7868 K
avgnt.exe             4052 K     4712 K
avguard.exe         80296 K   9084 K
avmailc.exe          1848 K       912 K
avwebgrd.exe      3536 K       6564 K

Darwin:
FWIW, Sunbelt is selling Vipre today for $9.95. When you checkout, you are also offered the Sunbelt Personal Firewall for $9.95 as well. In addition, they have multi-licence deals - an unlimited home licence for Vipre is $49.95 (I think).

Click link for deal:

http://www.vipreantivirus.com/blackfriday/

EDIT: Just to note, the deal linked to is no longer active.

nontroppo:
What I do notice as interesting is that NOD32, which has always had superlative overall reports on av-comparatives.org, has been really slipping dowm the charts both for on-demand and retro-active tests this year (it won overall best AV in 2007). Is that because of the shift to Version 3, and/or is it being outperformed by the new generation of malware more than its peers now?

Darwin:
I purchased a copy of VIPRE for my Win2k machine (PIIIE 600Mhz, 512MB RAM) and it is truly a wonderful thing! It's blazing fast in scanning and any issues I had in trialling it a few months ago are gone - updates are quick and I've not seen any issues WRT runaway processes. I'll post back later with resource usage numbers (I'm on OSX at the moment...).

Darwin:
I started out adding this as an edit to the post above, but have moved it to a new post (too much added info):

From Win2k machine. VIPRE runs two processes, SBAMSvc.exe (16,072K Private bytes) and SBAMTRay.exe (3,708K Private bytes). CPU usage is 0% for both processes. I'm starting a quick scan now:

SBAMsvc.exe - 18,564K private bytes started out at 41% CPU, immediately fell to about 29% and then after about a minute to 19%. Still fluctuating between 17% and 29%
SBAMTray.exe - 3,732 private bytes 0% CPU

Incidentally, the "bits" of this post relating to VIPRE actually running were added while the scan was in progress. No degradation of performance at all. My only real concern is that even without a scan running, the GUI takes a while to load. On the order of 20 seconds or so...

Overall, I wish that I had bought more licences for this - I'd love to see how it stacks up against Webroot on my XP and Vista machines (both with MUCH, MUCH RAM and CPU power).

Overall, my 80 GB harddrive is scanned in about 10 mintues when running a Quick scan and about 45 minutes when running a deep scan. Pretty decent on such old hardware, I think.

EDTI: er, no... The quick scan that I started with this post just finished after 2 hours 22 minutes  :o Weird, as I ran both a quick and a deep scan yesterday with the results indicated above. Will have to monitor this. Still like VIPRE better than BitDefender at any rate. Afterall, who cares how long the scan takes if you can still use your computer!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version