ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to start a new AntiVirus/Internet Security Suite review thread?

<< < (2/17) > >>

nudone:
using the free version of antivir too (after allen recommended it a while back on the forum). seems fine. it's warned me of a few things that appeared legitimate - whether it's any better than something like grisoft AVG i don't know. less resource hungry i'm assuming.

one thing to remember - the free antivir doesn't do email scanning.

mnemonic:
Couple this with the newly released PrevX Edge and I agree with Carol:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225190
-Paul Keith (November 26, 2008, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Paul, that looks very useful - will have to read-up on it properly.

I have to stay away from Wilders these days as everytime I read anything there it makes me want to don my little tinfoil hat and wave a baby monitor around  ;D

Fedorov:
Online Armor for firewall - nice and light
Avast for Antivirus - again nice and light

Also, Online Armor is soon to get a new Antivirus engine to replace Kaspersky so keep your eyes open ;)

Ralf Maximus:
NOD32 continues to impress, because of its performance and lack of paranoia.

I use AVG 8 on my test machines, and am constantly pelted with false positives.  This can be more dangerous than actual infection; the Cry Wolf syndrome.  On the other hand, AVG detects real threats as soon as the file exists -- NOD32 seems to require the file be executed before swinging into action.

This can be a catastrophic failure, since some of the newer malware fires off zillions of threads to attack your system, and NOD32 gets tangled up trying to stop them all.  In these circumstances, I simply ignore NOD32's "repair" option and go straight to restoration of a backup.  The end result is the same -- PC not infected by nasty trojan or whatever -- but AVG would have prevented the infection to begin with.

I've encountered people who run multiple virus scanners concurrently, and always thought them a bit paranoid.  Am now questioning this assumption.

Opinions?

Darwin:
I've encountered people who run multiple virus scanners concurrently, and always thought them a bit paranoid.  Am now questioning this assumption.

Opinions?
-Ralf Maximus (November 27, 2008, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I assume that these people use one to scan their systems in real-time and use the other(s) to scan on demand? If this is indeed what they are doing, I can't see that it would help in the scenario that you describe. On the other hand, if they are running multiple AVs scanners in real-time, I'd expect them to experience serious stability problems running two or more AV scanners that are vying with each other for access to resources and rogue files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version