ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to start a new AntiVirus/Internet Security Suite review thread?

<< < (6/17) > >>

city_zen:
The other site I have been looking at is http://www.av-comparatives.org/ which seems to employ useful selective methodologies to test aspects of performance rather than just a bland overall assessment.
-Carol Haynes (November 26, 2008, 05:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

What I do notice as interesting is that NOD32, which has always had superlative overall reports on av-comparatives.org, has been really slipping dowm the charts both for on-demand and retro-active tests this year (it won overall best AV in 2007). Is that because of the shift to Version 3, and/or is it being outperformed by the new generation of malware more than its peers now?
-nontroppo (November 30, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

A couple of days ago, the results from the latest tests by AV-Comparatives have been released. IMHO, those are the best AV tests currently available. The amount of detail given about the tests results and the author's methodology seem much better than those of other tests.
Anyway, in a (not entirely) surprising comeback after the slipping that nontroppo mentioned in his post, ESET NOD32 was the only antivirus to reach the maximum certification level (Advanced+) in this test. This was a retrospective/Proactive test where NOD32's heuristics typically shine.
Please visit the site (www.av-comparatives.org) to get the full results as the author has asked for the tests results not to be linked directly.

nontroppo:
Note also that NOD32 has V4 in beta:

http://www.eset.eu/products/nod32-for-windows-4-beta

Hard to get past the marketing speak, but I think they claim better proactive support, a new sysinspector module to root out rootkits, rescue CDs and lots of graphs!

Darwin:
Just to note - just ran a quick scan of my Win2k machine with VIPRE: 5 minutes 52 seconds. The last one I suspect was a Deep scan and an anomaly at that (WRT how long it took). Just thought I'd update you all. They don't call me "Mr Interesting" for nothing, you know  ;D

nontroppo:
Darwin: Vipre looks very interesting, I'd love to see it added to av-comparitives.org testing to see how it stacks up.

I also wish there were proper benchmarks done to see how AVs really affect a machine, nothing I've seen is really comprehensive enough...

4wd:
I also wish there were proper benchmarks done to see how AVs really affect a machine, nothing I've seen is really comprehensive enough...
-nontroppo (December 02, 2008, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

There have been tests done to see how various ISS's affected a machines boot time, but I can't find that particular site ATM - although it was last year, (or early this year), I think.

PC Mag did a few simple tests on five of the current ISS's to see what effect they had on boot times and file access.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version