topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why Windows Rules: the QWERTY phenomenon?  (Read 52678 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why Windows Rules: the QWERTY phenomenon?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Careful with the robe and wizard hat... We're not THAT loose :o :o

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Careful with the robe and wizard hat... We're not THAT loose :o :o

I'll be sure to keep the sash firmly tied.

Just be grateful I didn't say a tam–o'–shanter and kilt!

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=65hOhj94ZGE   ;D

compeek

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11 PM »
There is definitely a lot of truth in all of this.

I've given Ubuntu a fair try many times, and I'm experimented with some other distros of Linux. I use and love Ubuntu Server for running a personal web server because it's free and it does the job well on minimal hardware. I started out my server using Linux.

But on my desktop, it's much different. I've always used Windows and probably will continue to use Windows for a long time. The reason is simple. I've always used Windows, it works fine, and I personally like it. Sure, it has it's quirks. But so does Linux, even more so than most hardcore Linux users will admit.

Especially for those who know little about computers, there's no reason to switch to Linux. The world uses Windows and it works for them. Without a huge incentive to change (and simply being free isn't really as influencing as you might initially think, since Windows usually comes preinstalled).

Whenever I talk to my friend, who has completely switched from XP to Ubuntu, I can't seem to explain to him why I have no desire to switch. Sure, Ubuntu is great for a free, open source system. In fact, it's incredible for that. But in my opinion, it can't compete with Windows yet. It's not really Linux's fault either. Things like hardware support are lacking (though getting much better quickly) in Linux, but they are strong Windows simply because hardware manufactures write drivers for the OS that is used by the majority of people. I'm happy with Windows as it is (I run XP, by the way, not Vista). I'm looking forward to Windows 7. And I simply don't have a good enough reason to switch to Linux.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 01:35 AM »
[compeek]: I've always used Windows and probably will continue to use Windows for a long time. The reason is simple. I've always used Windows, it works fine, and I personally like it.
Now there's a man who knows what he likes. I envy that kind of resoluteness.

Especially for those who know little about computers, there's no reason to switch to Linux.
If it's their first system, I would hope they'd start with Linux. At the very least, they'd save money and have an opportunity to master it before going the other way with the comparison, which is "Linux isn't Windows, who knew!" No, it's not, and that's a good thing for both.

The world uses Windows and it works for them.
Unless, like the Chinese, you've stolen it and your screen goes dark because you won't register it.  :o I'd much rather people around the world use Linux than steal Windows. Microsoft has invested a lot of untold blood, sweat, tears, and acquisitions over the years to make Windows something good enough for 90% of users willing to pay for it. They keep it updated and at the least, they're constantly eliminating its weaknesses.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 09:26 AM »
I'd much rather people around the world use Linux than steal Windows

BUT, Microsoft'd much rather people around the world steal Windows than use Linux  (lesser of two evils, of course, not that they're necessarily happy with it)
I'll have what she's having

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Interesting points of view from everyone  :)

For myself, these days I just stick with Windows because it's good enough and widely supported. My curiosity about other OS's has pretty much died out. Most of the fun went out of computers when I started using them for business, rather than just as a hobby.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 03:07 PM »
Most of the fun went out of computers when I started using them for business, rather than just as a hobby.
-cranioscopical (December 02, 2008, 11:39 AM)

That happened to me too. That's why I started playing with Linux.

Hmmm...but now that Linux has become part of my business, I wonder if that will happen all over again?

computer08.gif

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:10 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 03:15 PM »
I'd much rather people around the world use Linux than steal Windows

BUT, Microsoft'd much rather people around the world steal Windows than use Linux  (lesser of two evils, of course, not that they're necessarily happy with it)

Now that is a very interesting thought! >:D

(I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that were true.  :Thmbsup:)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:17 PM by 40hz »

compeek

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37 PM »
If it's their first system, I would hope they'd start with Linux. At the very least, they'd save money and have an opportunity to master it before going the other way with the comparison, which is "Linux isn't Windows, who knew!" No, it's not, and that's a good thing for both.
-zridling
You do have a very good point there that I haven't thought about much. Someone who has always used Windows is definitely more likely to try Linux and say, "Hey, it's not like Windows! I don't like it." They would be much more open. But I guess that brings up the question, is it better for the world to turn to an open source OS and eliminate for-cost competition? Personally, I say no.

city_zen said that Microsoft would prefer you steal Windows that use Linux. I don't seem to have the link bookmarked any more, but I read an article a while back about that. The basis of the article was that even though stealing Windows takes away money from Microsoft (more like stops them from having your money, I guess), it still helps to keep Windows mainstream. I definitely think that's at least partly true. However, stealing is still illegal and it's still wrong. It hurts the companies who are trying to sell their product.

Back to Windows and Linux. I think having both open source software and software you buy helps to boost the use of both. There's no better competition to a paid-for product than a free one that does the same thing. It helps to keep the paid-for product of high quality, while at the same time it keeps the developers on the open source product to make the free one be as good as the paid-for one. Know what I mean? If Linux (or any free OS for that matter) ever became more widely used than Windows (or any paid OS), I don't things would be so good. There's no guaranteed support for an open source product, which might scare away companies from using the free product. Sure, there's the whole internet for support, but that's still not as solid of support as talking directly to the creator.

This post could go on and on, so I'm going to wrap it up now. I think Linux is great for how far it's come and how far it's probably going. I look forward to major improvements in distros like Ubuntu. There are many situations in which I'd use Linux. For example, sometime I'd like to build an HTPC. I've dabbled in MythTV and it seems extremely promising for this. Running Windows on my HTPC would cost me the price of Windows, but I also would have the opportunity to get the many plugins developed for free by others. But for my main desktop for work and play, I think I'd feel a lot safer using Windows. It's very widely supported. It works. That's the bottom line for why I refuse to switch to Linux completely, even if I wanted to.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 05:40 PM »
city_zen said that Microsoft would prefer you steal Windows that use Linux. I don't seem to have the link bookmarked any more, but I read an article a while back about that.
I think Mouser posted about that here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=765.0

@40hz: Google "robe and wizard hat" and you'll see what I mean. On second thought, don't.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:45 PM by Edvard »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Edvard: would that get us the legendary bloodninja chat transcript? NSFW, but fairly innocent imho :)
- carpe noctem

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53 PM »
Microsoft does not only allow it, they let you say it in their face. There was an old article about a Transylvanian Prime Minister (I think?) that hosted a conference where he thanked Bill Gates for all the pirated copies of Windows and Bill Gates just laugh.

Piracy hurting business is a myth for large companies especially monopolies. Rentals hurt their business but piracy doesn't.

It's classic supply and demand. MS knows they can't compete with the supply of free programs so what they do is they create demand for their products and let piracy take care of their supply.

The moral guys will pay for their products and the immoral or poor guys will pirate it. MS knows the poor guys outweigh the immoral guys by a lot so they let these immoral guys be their free salesmen to these poor guys. Since poor guys won't be able to afford legitimate products anyway, they lose little in net gains but they gain alot in brand marketing and maintain their influence around the world.

Add a little bit of anti-piracy message and MS gets away with supporting piracy indirectly.

In fact, they're almost a pioneer of this concept just based on their success with this while many novelist/musicians are only starting to wisen up to this marketing strategy of providing their paid products for free via p2p.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08 AM »
[Paul]: In fact, they're almost a pioneer of this concept just based on their success with this while many novelist/musicians are only starting to wisen up to this marketing strategy of providing their paid products for free via p2p.

Wow. So true. However, cheaper generally wins. How many times over the years have we seen a program break out during its beta and 1.x versions, gaining wild popularity, only to declare it's going shareware in version 2.0, and then it falls off the table? Even for music, the new DRM-free MP3 store at Amazon.co.uk is a better value than any DRM music.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I think it depends on the actual items. Apple products for example are king of using price to create value.

Creative is widely known time and time again for releasing a better mp3 player in general at a cheaper price but the Ipod continues it's dominance time and time again because of the right hype that is partially due to it's image as a quality item that requires an above average price in the eyes of the masses.

I think cheaper generally only wins if it can give the image of a bargain in a definitive clear cut manner.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 03:08 PM »
I think it depends on the actual items. Apple products for example are king of using price to create value.

I think "create value" is too modest. Apple uses price to create a whole separate reality for their customers.

I wonder if Jobs got his marketing plan from Dr. Seuss's classic story The Sneetches? ;D

UIOA_Dr-Seuss sneeches mural 2_by_Michael_Kingery.jpg

THE SNEETCHES
by Dr. Suess

Now the Star-bellied Sneetches had bellies with stars.
The Plain-bellied Sneetches had none upon thars.
The stars weren't so big; they were really quite small.
You would think such a thing wouldn't matter at all.
But because they had stars, all the Star-bellied Sneetches
would brag, "We're the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches."

With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they'd snort, "
We'll have nothing to do with the plain-bellied sort."
And whenever they met some, when they were out walking,
they'd hike right on past them without even talking.

(Read the rest here: http://www.uulongvie...lies_with_stars.html )

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 02:03 AM »
40hz,  ;D

(I know this was too short to post but that was funny)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Heaven help me but I couldn't resist!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
sneeches.jpg

@f0dder: sadly, yes...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:51 AM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Now the Mac-using Sneetches, their bellies had apples
While the Win-using Sneetches were nothing but dappled.
Just plain yellow dapple, without any graphic
To show off in public, or maybe stop traffic.
And although no OS makes you 'better in bed',
You'd never suspect from some things that were said.

And so, the Mac-Sneetches would taunt, and would boast,
That "Our systems are better, and you'll soon be toast!
If you don't come on over and use these machines,
Then the projects you're working on won't be worth beans.
'Cause you can't be productive, creative, or cool
If you're using an OS that's just so old-school."

(Should I go on?  ;D)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:11 PM by 40hz »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Edvard, 40hz
You, gentlemen, are droll!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Should I go on?
-40hz

Yes, preferably a long trip!  ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 01:08 PM »
keep going 40hz, i'm loving it.
and nice pic Edvard -- how about the two of you team up and make a version of the book for mac vs pc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:10 PM by mouser »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 02:51 PM »
and nice pic Edvard -- how about the two of you team up and make a version of the book for mac vs pc.
There's a nice idea!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Careful now... It took at least 3 accidents with copy and paste to make that (and a perspective tool).
Taking on such a project would involve me actually learning something!  :o

(though I think it's a good idea too...)

p.s. Anybody have scans of the book, maybe I'll give it a good running start and see if I can actually complete something.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:08 PM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 03:06 PM »
If the Mac-using Sneetches came up with new apps,
Did they share it with others, like some decent chaps?
"Not a chance!" Big Steve laughed, with his wings all akimbo.
"You won't run our genius on Windows, you Bimbos!
Our license is Berkley's - it's not GPL.
So before you see open, I'll see you in hell!"

If the Mac-using Sneetches appeared at tech shows,
They'd just hang out together, in small, clubby droves.
They'd act mostly amused by whoever was talking.
And if not about Macs, well...they'd mostly keep walking!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:18 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 03:08 PM »

Whassup Mouser? You looking to score your very first DMCA takedown notice? ;D

(Come to think of it, am I looking to get sued just in time for the holidays? :tellme:)