ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Windows Rules: the QWERTY phenomenon?

<< < (6/15) > >>

Edvard:
Careful with the robe and wizard hat... We're not THAT loose :o :o

40hz:
Careful with the robe and wizard hat... We're not THAT loose :o :o
-Edvard (December 01, 2008, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll be sure to keep the sash firmly tied.

Just be grateful I didn't say a tam–o'–shanter and kilt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hOhj94ZGE   ;D

compeek:
There is definitely a lot of truth in all of this.

I've given Ubuntu a fair try many times, and I'm experimented with some other distros of Linux. I use and love Ubuntu Server for running a personal web server because it's free and it does the job well on minimal hardware. I started out my server using Linux.

But on my desktop, it's much different. I've always used Windows and probably will continue to use Windows for a long time. The reason is simple. I've always used Windows, it works fine, and I personally like it. Sure, it has it's quirks. But so does Linux, even more so than most hardcore Linux users will admit.

Especially for those who know little about computers, there's no reason to switch to Linux. The world uses Windows and it works for them. Without a huge incentive to change (and simply being free isn't really as influencing as you might initially think, since Windows usually comes preinstalled).

Whenever I talk to my friend, who has completely switched from XP to Ubuntu, I can't seem to explain to him why I have no desire to switch. Sure, Ubuntu is great for a free, open source system. In fact, it's incredible for that. But in my opinion, it can't compete with Windows yet. It's not really Linux's fault either. Things like hardware support are lacking (though getting much better quickly) in Linux, but they are strong Windows simply because hardware manufactures write drivers for the OS that is used by the majority of people. I'm happy with Windows as it is (I run XP, by the way, not Vista). I'm looking forward to Windows 7. And I simply don't have a good enough reason to switch to Linux.

zridling:
[compeek]: I've always used Windows and probably will continue to use Windows for a long time. The reason is simple. I've always used Windows, it works fine, and I personally like it.
--- End quote ---
Now there's a man who knows what he likes. I envy that kind of resoluteness.

Especially for those who know little about computers, there's no reason to switch to Linux.
--- End quote ---
If it's their first system, I would hope they'd start with Linux. At the very least, they'd save money and have an opportunity to master it before going the other way with the comparison, which is "Linux isn't Windows, who knew!" No, it's not, and that's a good thing for both.

The world uses Windows and it works for them.
--- End quote ---
Unless, like the Chinese, you've stolen it and your screen goes dark because you won't register it.  :o I'd much rather people around the world use Linux than steal Windows. Microsoft has invested a lot of untold blood, sweat, tears, and acquisitions over the years to make Windows something good enough for 90% of users willing to pay for it. They keep it updated and at the least, they're constantly eliminating its weaknesses.

city_zen:
I'd much rather people around the world use Linux than steal Windows
-zridling (December 02, 2008, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

BUT, Microsoft'd much rather people around the world steal Windows than use Linux  (lesser of two evils, of course, not that they're necessarily happy with it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version