ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Windows Rules: the QWERTY phenomenon?

(1/15) > >>

zridling:
It's called the QWERTY phenomenon. David Williams nails it again, this time in a column titled, Why doesn't everyone just run Linux?

In one sense, the Redmond monopoly is self-perpetuating. The first reason Linux doesn't have a stronger foothold in the market is because Windows is already there. For most people their first experience with a computer is Windows. That's the operating system bundled with almost every desktop and laptop you can buy from retail outlets.... Consequently, any competing operating system is at a disadvantage from the beginning: unless a person seeks out Linux or is introduced to it in some way there will be no catalyst for change. Even if the computer operator grumbles about Vista's many foibles, they will lump it often not realising that a choice exists.
--- End quote ---

Technology -- and in this case Windows -- symbolizes the way in which it can all too often serve not as a force for progress but for keeping things stuck as is. Look at the QWERTY arrangement: it has no rational explanation, only a historical one. It was introduced in the 1870s in response to a problem in the early days of the typewriter. The keys would jam. The idea was to minimize the collision problem by separating those keys that followed one another frequently. If you're over 45 you might remember using a manual typewriter in school.

Once QWERTY was adopted, it resulted in many millions of typewriters and -- the social cost of change -- mounted annually with the vested interest, created by the fact that so many fingers now knew how to follow the QWERTY keyboard layout. QWERTY has survived despite the existence of other, more "rational" systems, which we never think to consider. QWERTY works!

The same phenomenon applies to Linux adoption, as David Williams illustrates in the article above. Once you spend time immersed in it, you can't imagine ever going back to Windows. However, I don't think the same applies to Apple, because the transition is made easier, less geekier, so to speak. Many see it easier to switch to Apple than to Linux.

Nod5:
There's much truth to this!

The obvious remedy would be and EXTREMELY detailed official XP-to-ubuntu transition site where almost any feature in XP can be looked up -- and the Ubuntu equivalent is presented. There are some such sites around (http://www.osalt.com/ is a good example when it comes to software) but I haven't seen one that is comprehensive and simple enough for the imagined target audience.

Kamel:
There is a huge difference between keyboards and this IMO. You can easily learn new operating systems (we didn't all start on vista, afterall, many of us started on windows 95 or even DOS). Learning to type on a different keyboard arrangement such as DVOARK (most likely the wrong word, but work with me here Edit: did have it wrong, the v and o were switched, fixed now) is synonymous with learning to speak a new language in many ways. It's something that comes natural and has to do with the physical movement of your body.

I think that there is a lot of truth to the article, but I think the analogy that it's the same thing as the QWERTY adaptation is a bit of an exaggeration. I do believe that if new PC's came with linux more than other OS's, it would make adaptation go at an amazing rate. I believe that linux on a new PC, especially if it meant a few bucks knocked off of the bottom line, would mean that people would really begin to switch. There are few motivators as strong as money in America.

Paul Keith:
Kamel, actually the analogy isn't so exaggerated.

Think of it this way:

You're used to scanning for viruses having come from Win 95 and suddenly this Linux comes without any scanning requirements and you're twiddling and thumbling your fingers while chanting the mantra "Linux is much more secure than Windows. Linux is much more secure than Windows..." then suddenly due to a hardware/software failure, some thing broke in your Linux! You can't access this or you can't boot that and you're thinking, well when something goes wrong in my Windows (often attributed to a virus) I'll just ask this guy I know to fix it and cross my fingers I won't have to reformat BUT suddenly this guy doesn't use or know Linux and suddenly all these step by step instructions require you asking in the forums.

Now you're ****ed. Day in and day out, you receive the dreaded "well...no PC is the same so you'll have to list this and that and check this and that" Wait...where's my Hijackthis. What? No Hijackthis? It's most likely not due to a virus because Linux is uber secure? NOOOOO!!!

Finally you decided to trash everything and just re-boot Linux from it's default settings but wait...what's this? You have to upgrade within months? NOOO!!! Pressure...pressure... the casual user inside of you keeps chanting "You don't need to upgrade now. You don't need to upgrade now." and soon you find yourself delaying your upgrades that Linux has become slightly less secure.

So now as a casual user similar to someone who's not getting DVORAK, you're thinking...wait... Why do I need to learn DVORAK when I know QWERTY and the results are the same? For Linux, you ask...Wait, why do I need Linux when I can secure a much more familiar Windows XP with an antivirus? Come to think of it... I did read that Norton was a bad antivirus and Win 95 was outdated but outside of DOS, Win XP sounded the same...and the only reason I'm settling for DOS games was cause Linux didn't have any modern games...wait...What the...?! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Hail to my new Windows XP! Pirated copies if Microsoft doesn't want my arm and leg. Hell no! I'm not giving away my hot wife!

zridling:
Kamel, but learning a new OS these days isn't so simple, especially from scratch. Perhaps I should have compared it to switching to a new kind of keyboard. For example, my wife absolutely hates the Microsoft Natural keyboard whereas I'm lost without one. But just like learning a new language in a different country, immersion speeds the process.

Paul makes some good points about user psychology, and no doubt those many Linux fanboys who keep one hand on a Windows system nearby. It takes application and hard work. I honestly cannot imagine what it's like to drop a person in front of Vista today. It's elegant and powerful, but by no means simple. One look at the Control Panel dialog will cure that illusion.

Whether it's games or security, there are pros and cons -- and you have to love the pros of using Linux/OS X/...whatever and realize that you can do without the pros of using Windows, simply because there's a point at which you can't stand the cons. Of course, you could mirror the same point using any of the three OSes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version