ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis total dirt OS selector - kills hard drives!

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
in the past i would have done what zaine said and unplug the other drives. i'd just become over confident by how well everything else had worked with the GAG loader, etc.-nudone (November 26, 2008, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you want to try something a little more up-to-date interface-wise than GAG, you could try XOSL.
-4wd (November 26, 2008, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is XOSL still under development? Last time I heard, they stopped doing anything with it after 2000 or 2001 - and XOSL2 (its successor) seems to have died around the beginning of 2007. Last news on SourceForge is 16-FEB-2007, and the xosl2.com website looks like it's been abandoned.

nudone:
here's a good link for an overview of what to expect from boot loaders: http://www.multibooters.co.uk/managers.html

having said that, i obviously decided to ignore what it said and tried the Acronis loader anyway.

back when windows 98 was all the rage i was using XOSL and it certainly was magical back then with what it could do. i'm tempted to give it a try but you'll see the drawbacks to using it on the page i linked to above. nothing a bit of time and effort can't resolve though.

worth thinking about...

...maybe i'll unplug the other hard drives this time.

4wd:
in the past i would have done what zaine said and unplug the other drives. i'd just become over confident by how well everything else had worked with the GAG loader, etc.-nudone (November 26, 2008, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you want to try something a little more up-to-date interface-wise than GAG, you could try XOSL.
-4wd (November 26, 2008, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is XOSL still under development? Last time I heard, they stopped doing anything with it after 2000 or 2001 - and XOSL2 (its successor) seems to have died around the beginning of 2007. Last news on SourceForge is 16-FEB-2007, and the xosl2.com website looks like it's been abandoned.
-40hz (November 26, 2008, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe it has been abandoned but since the only really new boot loader is Vista's Boot Manager, it's still relevant for 98% of the other systems still running XP, 98, Linux, etc.

Otherwise, there GRUB4DOS, syslinux and Vista's own Boot Manager.

Personally, I'd probably go with GRUB4DOS, (in fact I use it on my external recovery drive), because it can do things that leave the others for dead, eg. boot ISO/floppy images.

kcs3295:
I kept a 2006 version of Norton System Works which had PTedit. It can still be loaded and used to see if the drive is bootable. Second digit set should be 80 & if "00" the drive will not boot. Change the 00 to 80 and the OS may still be there.

Ken

y0himba:
Whatever program you are using to scan is not just finding the partition with a damaged MBR but also any partitions you have deleted, hence the large amount of partitions being found.  You should try repairing your MBR (Master Boot Record)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version