ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis total dirt OS selector - kills hard drives!

(1/6) > >>

nudone:
i'm still wondering if i'm dreaming this but having pinched myself several times i 'think' i'm awake.

as i've got vista and xp nicely working on the same hard drive (on different partitions) i thought i'd have a go at making things smoother when selecting which to boot.

Acronis OS Selector seemed like a good idea to try. it sort of worked - almost. i was prepared to mess about with it a bit to get it working fully if things didn't go right first off.

so, vista booted fine, xp wouldn't boot.

no problem i thought i'll just disable the Acronis loader and go back to how i had things working with the GAG floppy boot loader.

how nice to find that after loading up vista and checking if all my partitions and drives are there i find that the Acronis loader has completely wiped out a 250 gig hard drive - one where i keep all my data. lovely. thank you Acronis, i will make sure you are first on my Christmas list.

the drive is now an 'unallocated partition'. i've tried a couple of programs to scan for lost partitions and they've found nothing. absolutely fantastic.

so, just an innocent bit of messing about has wiped an entire drive - one that the Acronis rubbish shouldn't have touched anyway - there weren't any operating systems on it.

now, at this point i would normally be preparing a noose to put around my neck after losing all that data (that's everything i've created and saved as reference material), but i was using MirrorFolder to keep a duplicate of everything in realtime on another drive. so i 'believe' everything is safe - if nothing else goes wrong.

there's a moral in there somewhere - possibly a few.

here's the bottom line (literally)... don't even consider using that Acronis piece of sh*t OS loader. how dumb can a piece of software be - Acronis should be ashamed to have created such an evil program. what a load of b*stards.

mouser:
that is evil.
it also just reaffirms my recommendation to stay away from dual booting / multibooting loaders.

hang in there nudone -- don't dispair.. hopefully the data is all mirrored.  if not you might still be able to get the drive partition back -- just dont do any more writing to that hard drive.

nudone:
i'm currently scanning it with another program - which at the moment is telling me it's found 8 partitions. some bad, some not bad. well, that's nice then isn't it. with a bit of luck i'll be able to pick the correct one out of the 8 and have it working.

at least, i've learnt how "curiosity killed the cat" - Acronis OS Selector did it.

nudone:
er, correction. it's now found 41 partitions - i obviously am dreaming. there's no other explanation now.

nudone:
oh i love computers. there's always an adventure to be had - all without leaving the safety of an armchair (i don't have an office chair).

the partition is now recovered (although it was reported as "bad").

software used: Active Partition Recovery.

i shall now crawl back under my rock. (i daren't check to see if xp still boots.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version