topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Photology - Photo collection filtering  (Read 5153 times)

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Photology - Photo collection filtering
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:44 AM »
I recently downloaded and am testing Photology, a free download that indexes your photo collection and then lets you find photos by applying filters like faces, sky, color, location, orientation, and time of day.

It doesn't get everything right, but not bad.

The initial indexing takes a while because it not only indexes the file names and locations, but it must do some sort of analysis of the images so it can apply the filters. You tell it which folders to index, and then it watches those folders for new images and adds them to the index.

The program used to be offered for sale, but earlier this month it was made available for free (donations accepted).

We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Photology - Photo collection filtering
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 05:53 PM »
It is a different and interesting program.
Very powerful too.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:39 PM »
Thanks for the pointer to this.

Would be interested in any further observations once you have acquired  more experience of 'Photology'.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:51 PM »
Just heard about Photology, searched the forum and saw this thread. I checked out the free software which requires .NET 3.0 and well, ermm...about all I can say is Photology shows potential. It should be interesting to watch its development, but I found it generally underwhelming in its present form. Maybe I've somehow overlooked the app's brilliance, but there was nothing there that made me think "wow, I must have this advanced image sorting tool".

If somebody tried Photology and thinks its great software, don't hesitate to let me know if I've overlooked some special feature.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:54 PM by sajman99 »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:52 PM »
Depends on what you use some pics for.
For instance in design and creative, or crafting there are choices of color, shapes and more in a large collection to sift through.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Yes, well I guess what I'm saying is that Photology still seems a little too basic in its early form. For sorting through an image collection, I would rather use a software like ImageSorter at http://www.pixolution.de . In any event, these types of image sorting softwares are likely to get much more sophisticated in the next few years.