ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Vista's DRM Is Bad For You and other jewels by Bruce Schneier

<< < (4/8) > >>

f0dder:
Well said as usual f0d man.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=j-uulRB1OmY
-Ehtyar (December 08, 2008, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
That was a pretty funny video - that guy is pretty pissed off. And no wonder.

Finding a no-cd crack has always been one of the first things I've done when I've purchased a new game. I've always thought it to be ludicrous requiring the CD/DVD to be in drive even after all data files have been copied to my harddisk. In the case of Unreal Tournament (iirc), getting rid of the copy protection even caused the game to start around 50-60 seconds faster (yeah, I had a crappy CD drive back then - that, combined with the cd-standard violating copy protection tricks caused quite a slowdown).

In later years, it turned from mere nuisance to "I have to do this in order to be able to play certain games" - either because I had daemon-tools running (when you have a fileserver for storing ISOs, you don't really feel like mucking around with optical discs), or because the game copy protection was buggy or just incompatible with 64-bit windows. Once copy protection is removed, the games tended to work pretty well.

I'm pretty fed up most game titles nowadays. Gameplay usually sucks, system demands are too high, and many games are unstable as hell (and no, this is not because of cracks - checking game forums clearly reveals this). Every once in a while, true gems are released though - like World Of Goo or Left 4 Dead. Both titles that don't have over-the-top copy protection (infact, WoG has none!) and are worth every penny.

DRM sucks. Any form.

Ah yes, I should add that one of my brothers has just purchased the newest Need For Speed, and it doesn't work on his box. He's running a pretty bog-standard 32bit XP, so it's not like it's a 64bit incompatibility or anything. I guess I'll have to go hunt for a crack for him to make the shit actually work.

Ehtyar:
Actually, I forgot to credit Scan Man for that vid, thanks scancode :)

Ehtyar.

Darwin:
 ;D That video was funny - very colourful vocabulary - I learned at least one new idiom...

Josh:
I still fail to see how the movie studio controls my PC? I use AnyDVD which removes any and all nasties from the DVD and even without that, playing a DVD/BRD takes absolutely no effort at all. Am I missing something here? Would you tell me that the movie industry controlled my VCR because of Macrovision protection built into every VHS tape? This just sounds like a bunch of paranoid hooey to me as again, I have yet to experience any issues with DRM up to this day.

40hz:
I still fail to see how the movie studio controls my PC? I use AnyDVD which removes any and all nasties from the DVD and even without that, playing a DVD/BRD takes absolutely no effort at all. Am I missing something here?
-Josh (December 08, 2008, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you mean 'something' other than the fact you're probably in violation of US law by doing so? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version