ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Vista's DRM Is Bad For You and other jewels by Bruce Schneier

<< < (6/8) > >>

Josh:
OK, so I am in violation of customizing a disc for my daughter. The only thing AnyDVD is set to remove is the forced previews of other movies. I am not redistributing it, the disc is still being played back in accordance with the terms of their license which is "For private home viewing". But regardless, they do not control my system as gladly watch previews when it comes to my wife and I watching a movie as it makes it seem more like a theater, especially when you have auto-dimming lights and a 46 inch LCD. By the way, isn't this thread about why DRM is so bad and not the legality of AnyDVD? I still don't see the use of AnyDVD in the manner I am using it as proof that DRM has negatively affected me. As said above, it's not something I use for 99% of my DVD viewing because most of my viewing is done on a PS3.

Ehtyar:
You'd be negatively effected if the RIAA were ever to take you to court for circumventing their DRM with AnyDVD. And if you weren't breaking the law as you are by using AnyDVD, you'd be negatively effected by being subjected to their commercials on a product you already paid for *ahem*.

Ehtyar.

Josh:
That would be a negative affect of the RIAA not DRM. DRM has yet to negatively impact me, again. The RIAA is the one taking me to court, not the DRM. And last I checked, a preview of "You don't mess with the zohan" is not DRM, but merely content.

Eóin:
Surely that you need to use AnyDVD to skip the previews is itself a negative effect.

Josh:
Nope, not at all. Most of them allow you to hit MENU to bypass them but I design a custom disc for my daughter so she can insert and watch without having to worry about menus. I try to make things as simplistic for her as I can so she doesn't have to fumble with our remote or break the player. Just insert a disc and away it goes. Is it a violation? Yes. Do I care about said violation? No. Is it a negative affect? No because most discs are designed so that an adult will be working the controls. To me, there is absolutely no bother in having to do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version