ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A fork in the road - dangers of web services

<< < (2/5) > >>

Darwin:
I'm too paranoid to have my data held on someone else's server, anyway...

f0dder:
I'm never going to rely on having important data (solely) on the web ... Unless the server it's hosted on is phyically mine.-Stoic Joker (November 25, 2008, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I'd do it with a server that's mine either, unless I have easy-ish physical access to it.

Tis an Evil Cloud coming me thinks.-Stoic Joker (November 25, 2008, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed. I don't like the idea of all that web application and cloud computing stuff. Lousier application interfaces, slower, and "all your data are belong to us". Yay, what a step back!

I'm too paranoid to have my data held on someone else's server, anyway... -Darwin (November 25, 2008, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Even with stuff like that data backup services that "encrypt your data", I wouldn't use such a service without encrypting my data client-side first.

Jammies:
Since web services started, I've always been wary of them & have preached to my customers the pros and cons of them.  I personally don't like  a company possibly holding me hostage to either their whims or profit.  Because you can be sure that very soon one of these companies will look at the profit potential of saying "if you don't want to lose your data, we can save it for you at the new company at such and such price!"

Reminds me of the political situation America is in with the Oil Countries - they've got us by the balls because we need the oil.

Ehtyar:
It isn't just free web-services either - what is to stop paid for services being sold and shut down? It has happened a lot to software titles - but at least you keep the version you have paid for - with a web service you get to keep nothing.
-Carol Haynes (November 25, 2008, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was going to say just the same thing after reading Mouse Man's post.
I'm too paranoid to have my data held on someone else's server, anyway...
-Darwin (November 25, 2008, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
More power to the tin-foil-hat brigade!!

Ehtyar.

40hz:
We spent the last thirty years trying to get away from the old terminal-mainframe centrally controlled computer metaphors. Web services are just trying to bring them back, except they're now dressed in prettier clothes.

Sod web services. I insist on the "personal" in personal computing: my CPU, my machine, my universe to be a lesser deity in.

Funny thing: that attitude used to be what got me branded as a rebel. Now they call that same attitude old-fashioned.

I must be on to something! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version