topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Rebound" to last file  (Read 8474 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Rebound" to last file
« on: November 22, 2005, 05:51 AM »
Direct Folders has this feature:

It "rebounds" back to the last item that you opened in a folder. You no longer have to browse through the file listing for a particular document you were working on before - the list scrolls to the last opened file.

That would be important to me.  If, for example, you need to use Acrobat Reader to print a long series of files, you wouldn't lose your place, and either miss files or repeat them.

Will the presence or absence of this feature be noted in the reviews, please?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Rebound" to last file
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 05:54 AM »
interesting, i've never thought of it but i'll certainly examine it and note its presence or lack thereof in the other tools.

keep these comments coming - very helpful.

and don't feel shy about testing out tools and giving me your thoughts.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Folder View crash-prone?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 03:51 AM »
and don't feel shy about testing out tools and giving me your thoughts.

FWIW, I briefly looked at Folder View.  It crashed/hung my system so badly I had to promptly remove it again.  This might be an issue with this particular machine.  It's a Win2000 at work, and partially crippled by the IT Dept. on grounds of "security."  No direct access to CMD.EXE, for example, and some programs can't even "see" the C: drive because IT Dept. expect you to save everything directly on the server.

I've partially got round the need for a folder box extender by using <ahem> Total Commander.  TC has built-in "macros."  I have one attached to a button.  With the cursor on a file, or a directory, I click the button, and it sends the full UNC path+name to the clipboard.  If whatever program I'm using has a standard dialog box, I can paste it in and go straight to the file.

Neither Agent Ransack nor Bulk Rename Utility (BRU) seem to have standard dialog boxes, just dropdown lists of visible drives to pick from.   That means that, combined with the "invisible C: drive" problem noted above, I can't use either of them.

(Later) I should have added a link etc. for Folder View, which I originally heard of on Nudone's blog.  Quoting him:

Folder View  http://www.folderview.com/folderview/  is freeware, and enhances Explorer in several useful ways to help find often-used folders easier.  It's very configurable, and I've found it quite useful once I got used to it.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 06:01 AM by rjbull »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Rebound" to last file
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 04:20 AM »
my real world usage over the years started with filebox extender + dialogxrsizer, then i switched to pshotfolders for a while, then went back to filebox extender.