topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Simple line by line truncator  (Read 46361 times)

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Simple line by line truncator
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 04:11 AM »
Good Evening Sir Agent! Thanks for upgrading the software for me…  :) I noticed there is an undo button in the latest version of the software, Forgive me sir, I did not make my self clear, the button undo is a great idea Sir, but I think just a simple Ctrl+Z for undo and Ctrl+Y for redo shortcut without the button will do… :)

I just thought of a new function that would greatly help us Sir… I’ll edit this reply to post the new function and its purpose… I’ll try if I can make a mockup for it Sir…  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: I can’t make a mockup Sir, balsamiq trial doesn’t have the UI I was looking for  but I’ll describe what I mean Sir, can you make collapsible options at the bottom of the software Sir…

Purpose: Just like what I’ve posted early this morning, we use the Line Truncator to extract the order numbers, Sir can you make a collapsible textbox at the bottom of the software that we may be able to add order numbers separated by commas to be automatically deleted when they appear on the results?

Example:
In this example, I would exclude order number 1346795, 64482, 84101 and I chose a length of 7…

I put a filter in the collapsible textbox at the bottom of the software and add the order numbers or characters I want to exclude

1346795, 64482, 84101

The result must be from:
123456789 words words endless words
1346795 words words endless words
12345678 words words endless words
1234   words words endless words
64482 words words endless words
84101 words words endless words
12345 words words endless words

Into:

The 2nd, 5th and 6th line were automatically omitted because the process result shows the characters “1346795, 64482 and 84101” and it was in list of excluded words…

One more thing Sir… Can you make the color white background except for the textbox to be the same like the button of about and Shortcuts  :-[

Thank You once again Sir Agentsteal… You’re such an excellent programmer! not to mention your very long patience… :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:39 AM by usemyname »

agentsteal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 07:44 AM »

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 05:31 PM »
I just got home sir… I hurried to get home just to see the update!  :D I used and test the truncator at the office, my line lead saw it and liked it!  :Thmbsup: She loves it!  :-* She even wants to give it to some other people at the office right away, I just told her it’s under development, She asked me who made the software and I showed her the about button and told her a friendly programmer from other part of the world made this! ;)

I just tested the latest version sir and it works great! but perhaps you’re to tired that you’ve made the color of the text box same as of the button instead of the whole window

I think a tooltip at the collapsible button would be a great help for other people who will use the software… You may put on the tooltip something like “Excluded order numbers. please use a space separator.”

When I used the software the whole shift at work, I did not press the Copy to clipboard and Submit not once, I learned that shortcuts are sufficient enough sir… because it’s much quicker than pressing the buttons… I think it will be much better without the Copy and Submit buttons Sir Agentsteal

The filter box with collapsible button is working perfectly sir!  :Thmbsup: But… I’m having a hard time looking back what filters I’ve made because it just a horizontal text box… perhaps a 5 liner text wrapped enabled text box with a vertical scrollbar is much better sir for easy reviewing of filtered words or characters

BTW Sir, I can’t undo using Ctrl+Z anymore…  :(

Sir, the test I’ve made last night with the truncator cuts my processing time by significant amount… probably a 90% quicker than the former method of manually selecting order numbers and I haven’t got any error at all! Many thanks to you sir!  :)

That’s all for now sir, I will try do a mockup or something that will help you visualize my UI thoughts while eating my breakfast…  :P Thanks again Sir… You’re the best!  :Thmbsup:  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:12 PM by usemyname »

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Here’s the UI I designed… It took me a long time before I finished it using mspaint…  ;D

new_collapsed.PNG

new_expanded.PNG

UI Revision
  • Removed Copy to clipboard button
  • Re-arranged buttons
  • Line Counts moved to lower right, space allowance up to 3 digits ex. 999
  • Tooltip at Expand Button or Less Button
  • Program color changed
  • Exclusion textbox word wrapped

I hope my UI design is neat Sir…  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:22 PM by usemyname »

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 09:13 PM »
BTW Sir, can you add a few functions to the Ctrl+Enter Shortcut

Old global Ctrl+Enter shortcut
  • Process text
  • Automatically copy processed text

New global Ctrl+Enter shortcut
  • Clears the Text Box
  • Paste whatever text that is the clipboard
  • Process text
  • Automatically copy processed text

That’s a BIG time saver I think Sir… Hope it will be implemented in your future version of Truncator… Thanks a lot! I’ll check the forum later this evening before I go to work… Many Thanks again Sir Agentsteal!  :)

agentsteal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 05:15 AM »
Goodevening Sir!  :) I’ve tried the latest version, this is so far the things I’ve noticed… Very nice GUI! copied as is!  :Thmbsup:

Here’s the new list!  :)
  • Exclusion textbox or the lower textbox is not yet word wrapped.
  • Tooltip should popout only when it hovers the More or Less button after 1 second.
  • The separator still uses the old comma separator instead of space separator, Space separator is much faster.
  • Please change length option to 10. (It’s the most efficient length size at work)
  • Change Shortcut definition of Ctrl+Enter to "Ctrl+Enter = Clear, Paste, Submit and Copy All"
  • Shameless, but Sir can you add me on the credits section? I think still deserve it… :P
      "Programmer  : Agentsteal
       UX Designer : Herbert
       www.donationcoder.com"
  • Add Shortcut Shift+Enter for simple Submit and Copy All without Clear and Paste for manually processing of text.

Thanks a lot! I’m going to use your latest version at work, I’ll make list of anything I encounter during testing of the latest version… Thanks again Sir!  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:27 PM by usemyname »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Don't forget that if the program saves your company some money perhaps you can make a donation to agentsteal to show your appreciation.

agentsteal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 05:06 PM »
@Sir Mouser

I would like to give something in return to Sir Paul but I can’t, the company I work for has their own programmers outside the country but the software they have provided us is not sufficient for the work we do… It’s hard to convince my company to pay Sir Paul to give something in return since they don’t even bother upgrading the software we use daily… I just have my own initiative to ask someone who can help me do my task… I’m just a regular low wage employee Sirs… As much as I would like to give some monetary donations in return, I just can’t for financial reasons… I hope you understand Sirs… :( I hope you and Sir Paul would understand…

The only thing I can do right now is to give credit to donationcoder.com  and Sir Paul for making the software every time my co-workers ask me who made the software, that’s why I asked Sir Paul to put an About button at the top of the application that people may easily see it…  :-[

Thanks for everything Sir Paul, if I can give the favor back in anyway except for something monetary, just give me a message and I will gladly try my best to return the favor back…  :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Not a problem -- money is not the most important thing in the world -- and agentseal clearly was not motivated at all by a hope for money.  Different people can show their appreciation in different ways, according to their means and their desires  :Thmbsup:

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 12:00 AM »
Thanks Sirs for being understanding…  :)

Sir Agentsteal I’ve tested your latest release, It works great! I think the application is nearing its completion… These are some ideas that I hope to be implemented on the hopefully the final release…

-On the exclusion text box, I hope the truncator can remember the excluded order numbers even when the file was closed or when the Less button is clicked

-Tab Spaces should be removed before processing like ordinary spaces…

Example:

The current version turns this example…
   123456789 with tab space.
   123456789 with spaces.

Into…

that should be…

-I hope, I can still undo changes after I accidentally process the text…
-Remove Ctrl+A = Select All from the Shortcuts Button since the Ctrl+C can do it and to avoid confusion to others.

That’s all I can think of as of now Sir Agentsteal… I hope the next version will be the final release… Thank You Sir…  :)

BTW, I’ve made a mockup of the latest version just for fun…

truncator collapsed.png

truncator expanded.png
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:36 AM by usemyname »

agentsteal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 12:33 AM »
http://agentsteal.110mb.com/LineTruncator.zip

* excluded order numbers aren't forgotten
* Tab Spaces are processed like ordinary spaces
* Ctrl-Z shortcut
* Removed Ctrl-A shortcut
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:38 AM by agentsteal »

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 12:50 AM »
Wow! That was fast!  :Thmbsup: Thank You so much Sir, I think this will be the Final release, I’m to going to post next week if everything works perfectly at work, we don’t have any work for today because we are affected by US Thanks Giving Holiday… Again, Thank You so much Sir Paul for helping me and other few individuals make life easier at work, and Happy Thanks Giving Day!  :)  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

PS: I love the way you add the "Enter key" feature in the Exclusion text box that moves the words and adds a space, that was a clever idea Sir Paul! Thanks for adding it even though I did not request it.  :-*
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:58 AM by usemyname »

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 01:27 AM »
One minor thing Sir, I can undo my changes even after I accidentally process the text, but I can’t redo it using Ctrl+Y for easy flipping of undo and redo history and you can add it to the Shortcuts list sir, Ctrl+Y = Redo… Thanks Sir Paul!  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:06 AM by usemyname »

agentsteal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2008, 09:13 PM »
I’m sorry for a very late response Sir Paul, I’ve been very busy these past few days… The software is Perfect Sir! I think that is the Final version except for something you probably misunderstood because of, I admit a confusing explanation of mine…

Remove Ctrl+A = Select All from the Shortcuts Button since the Ctrl+C can do it and to avoid confusion to others.

What I meant was you may still Select All using Ctrl+A using the shortcuts button but just remove the explanation in the Shortcuts button since it’s common for any user to be able to use Ctrl+A to anything that has a text in it…

Except for that one trivial lack of feature, I think it is an excellent application!

Honestly, It’s kind of strange not being able to use Ctrl+A for selecting all the text… I hope you can do something about it Sir…  :-[

Thank You!  :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:23 PM by usemyname »

agentsteal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2008, 10:28 PM »

usemyname

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 01:10 PM »
I just woke up to try the latest version Sir, it’s around 3am now… It’s Perfect! The Line Truncator is finally complete! The application is very appealing and very useful Sir, Thanks for taking up the challenge and helping not only me but other few individuals who will greatly benefit from your software… I Sincerely Thank You Sir for the effort, patience and willingness to help other people! You’re simply the Best! :-*  :)  :Thmbsup:

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2008, 03:35 PM »
You selected the text as a block, using the cursor and mouse keys, copied it, and the copy just excluded everything outside the block. It left embedded spaces intact, if they were included in the block.

I know the program Textpad will do columnar cut, copy & paste. I bet lots of others do too -- apologies for not having read every message in the topic in case somebody might've already suggested it, but I'm in a rush right now. :)  Just wanted to hurry & post in case it helps anybody.

Textpad also has macros, so it'd be a breeze to have one dedicated to removing all the whitespace first. (It already comes with one on the macros menu to remove blank lines from an entire document.) You could probably automate the entire operation.
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

agentsteal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 12:28 AM »
The program is now hosted at http://agentsteal.dc...om/LineTruncator.zip

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • "Premature Optimization is the root of all evil."