ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

making a recovery partition

(1/4) > >>

techidave:
is there an easy way to create a recovery partition on a desktop like Dell or HP?  I am needing to setup some computers that will be used offsite by some of our students and need an easy to do an offsite restore by a non techie person.

I will install XP Pro SP3, open office and a few other applications and all of these would need to be recovered.

preferrably it should be made up of free or open source software as I don't have any budget to spend on this project.

I have looked at some of the other threads on DC and also googled but didn't find any real clear solutions.  I know my friends at DC will come through!  :P

thanks in advanced,
Dave

4wd:
This site may help: Optimizing Windows

More specifically:

Setting up a multiboot/dualboot
Imaging: create a Windows system image

By installing the image recovery software on a DOS bootable FAT32 partition, (instead of a floppy/CD), along with the image you should be able to set it up so that choosing the appropriate option in the boot menu automatically restores your normally booted NTFS OS partition.

Uses all free software.

techidave:
Thanks 4wd for the links.  I hadn't heard of this site but looks to be very informative.  I didn't see it posted anyware on the linked pages but how does the recovery menut get started?

Shades:
Pressing F8 before Windows starts booting, shows you a menu that gives you a lot of ways to start Windows, including a Recovery option.

(That would be the answer if I understood your question correctly)

techidave:
Actually I was referring to the recovery menu that was being used off of this site here

they had some kind of dos menu that gave different options.  I will just have to go back and look at those links 4wd posted to see if I can find them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version