topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Proxy / Tunneling ???  (Read 4959 times)

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Proxy / Tunneling ???
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:19 AM »

Hello.... In one of the computers I use, almost all the ports all blocked and there are forbidden websites - even facebook or similar sites.... The web based proxy servers are blocked too.... To summarize --- webalizer is used and there is some sort of censorship..

What I want to do is to install a proxy/tunneling software on another computer of mine in different location and use it as a proxy on the computer in another location... So I want to use my other computer on the internet as a proxy....

I tried some software as ccproxy but haven't managed to make it work... I guess it is a proxy for network computers - not computers on the internet...

Is there any software that can accomplish what I want to have done?.. I prefer freeware...

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Proxy / Tunneling ???
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:55 PM »

My solution needs several things:

• ssh
  • screen
  • shell-access somewhere

When my laptop starts it automatically executes the following command:
screen -S irc_tunnel -d -m /home/housetier/bin/irc_proxy.sh

the shell-script contains only two lines:
#!/bin/bash
ssh -D 2048 -l housetier somehost.somewhere-on-the.net

After this I can tell my program (xchat in this case) to use localhost:2048 as a SOCKS5 proxy.

Of course I needed to enable password-less login on the target host. This setup works quite well, thanks to the powers of ssh.

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:06 PM »
well... I can be considered as a computer novice although I use it a lot as a daily user --- can not get into details like these -- but will try your solution housetier.. while at that time, can anyone else suggest any software to install to my other computer that is not blocked, to use it as a proxy for the computer that is blocked?.... ((in laymans terms))...

thanks house tier... will try to understand the solution you mean....

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:27 PM »
If you can login into that other computer via ssh, you can use it as a proxy without needing to install any additional software - such is the might of ssh. :-)

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:45 PM »
hi housetier .... actually I use logmein software to use my other computers..... but the computer that I will use as a proxy is too weak in respect of ram and cpu, displaying web pages or using programs would freeze it (I do not want to use my other strong computers as proxy because I use them in the evening and using them 24hrs would be an extra expense in the future - so I will use the old computer) .... It would be more appropriate for me to use the old computer only as a proxy that only transfers internet (no display of web pages or programs that consumes cpu or memory.... only as internet transfer which I will route to the computer that is blocked)

however I will take a look at the ssh issue more a it appears to offer different possibilities.....  Thank you one more time !!!

:Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 01:47 PM by gorinw13 »