ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is Donation Coder?

<< < (6/8) > >>

jgpaiva:
Actually, making an edit count as a new post (thus, appearing in the "new posts" section) would effectivelly solve this problem.
F0dder: that doesn't necessarily mean the mod must approve it. The problem here is that an edit isn't noticeable.

superboyac:
I like being able to edit at any given time.  Unless it becomes more common, can't we just leave it alone?

J-Mac:
Hmm.  My suggestion didn't go over big at all, apparently. (Create a filter that prevents all new users from being able to post external links until after their 10th post).

I guess that no one liked that idea.  :(

Jim

The following is quoted from the InternetBusiness.co.uk web site:

3. Prevent new member links

An excellent plugin for vbulletin prevent new members from posting links according to a specific parameter, usually post count.

In other words, if you set the parameter on the plugin to “20 posts”, it means that new members cannot post a link until they’ve made 20 posts.

You can find the plugins here:
Forbid Users from Posting Links or Images if They Have Fewer than 15 Posts (NOTE: Only for vbulletin 3.5+)
Prevent Users With Low Post Counts Posting/PM’ing URLS (NOTE: Only for vbulletin 3.0.x)

Pros: This is an excellent way to prevent new member registrations simply to post link advertising on your forums.

Cons: It can be annoying to genuine new members linking to genuine third-party websites.

Additionally, some forum spammers add the URL without the http://, hoping they can get traffic from members pasting in the URL.

Worse still, some forum spammers will make “me too” posts in order to reach the required link count, then drop their ads. Combat this by ensuring a long delay between posts (ie, vbulletin Admin > vbulletin Options > Message Posting and Editing Options > Minimum Time Between Posts > 60) to make it least worth their while to do so.
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
J-Mac: that would be very effective against spam, but also pretty annoying for legitimate users. After all, we do have the Announce Your Software/Service/Product section...

J-Mac:
J-Mac: that would be very effective against spam, but also pretty annoying for legitimate users. After all, we do have the Announce Your Software/Service/Product section...
-f0dder (November 24, 2008, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Disable the filter for that and certain other specific forums. But to be honest, how many brand new users really have a need to post a link in their first 10?

Anyway it's just something I have seen done in other forums. I'm not certain that it is even available as an add-on/plug-in to SMF software.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version