topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What is Donation Coder?  (Read 27549 times)

Paul Weinstock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What is Donation Coder?
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Hi, is DonationCoder a Software or a scripts maker?..
Paul Weinstock

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is Donation Coder?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:52 PM »
DonationCoder is really a community.
The founder of DonationCoder essentially makes software, but there are quite a few members of the community that do scripts.

For more information, you can read the About Us section of the site ;)

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:08 PM »
We also cook!
* scancode grabs his trusty salt'n'pepper shakers and chases jgpaiva.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:31 PM »
DonationCoder is a community of people who have a passion for Computer Software.  Some of us are professional programmers, some of us are new programmers or just dabblers, and many of us don't program but enjoy participating in the software development process by testing, suggesting features, etc.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 06:18 AM »
As  non-programmer/scripter, it's a site where you learn a lot (if you are willing) and the best place I know to find good free software that makes using your PC a lot easier!  :Thmbsup:

Mum is always saying "Where did you get that programme?" and my answer 90% of time is..

"Donation Coder, of course!;D

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:55 AM »
People here are most cordial, patient with newbies and full of humour.  :P

BTW, welcome to the forum Paul!   :Thmbsup:

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:16 PM »
I believe this post is spam of some sort.  The same person has posted only one question on many forums in the last several weeks.  Sites representing everything from astronomy to light boxes to computers to aikido to david allen.  They all say something inane like "What's GDT?"  Gets people worked up answering him, but never posts again.  Probably racking up google hits for some reason.  For example, donationcoder pops up first when you search for the poster (whose name shall not be used by me), then a long, long string of other links.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 01:18 PM »
momonan: I suspected the same - it's probably the same old tactic of coming back some weeks later to edit the post and make it point to the product they want to spam.

That doesn't mean we can't have a meaningful thread about the topic, though, and spambam the user if it turns out our suspicions are true :)
- carpe noctem

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 08:00 AM »
As  non-programmer/scripter, it's a site where you learn a lot (if you are willing) and the best place I know to find good free software that makes using your PC a lot easier!  :Thmbsup:

Mum is always saying "Where did you get that programme?" and my answer 90% of time is..

"Donation Coder, of course!;D

I have become very aware recently (and have become a bit self conscious about it) of how much I give out links to this site. It seems nearly every issue someone has that could be solved with either a useful tool or some info, either the tool is already made (usually by skrommel) or there is a post with the info here.

I just hope people elsewhere do not perceive me as a broken record or think I am attempting to actively promote the site just to drive traffic to it. The truth is, we just seem to have everything they need.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 08:04 AM »
I just hope people elsewhere do not perceive me as a broken record or think I am attempting to actively promote the site just to drive traffic to it. The truth is, we just seem to have everything they need.

I'll second that app! I was saying the other day that FARR does everything but make tea!  ;D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 09:54 AM »
I was saying the other day that FARR does everything but make tea!
It probably could, but you'd have to wait toolong.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 08:26 PM »
-cranioscopical (November 23, 2008, 09:54 AM)

Ouch!

BTW, I agree that this poster is a fraud; check Google here.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:36 PM by J-Mac »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 08:43 PM »
it's probably the same old tactic of coming back some weeks later to edit the post and make it point to the product they want to spam.

@Mouser: Could the post editing be time limited? I makes sense to allow editing for 1-2 hours after posting, but why should we be allowed to edit posts that are 1 week old, or more? Some sites don't allow editing, you post it, it is there...

I appreciate the possibility to edit posts, but it could be limited in time.. after all subsequent posts are responses to that post, not an edited (possibly totally different) one.

Just my 2 cents
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 08:49 PM »
@Mouser: Could the post editing be time limited? I makes sense to allow editing for 1-2 hours after posting, but why should we be allowed to edit posts that are 1 week old, or more? Some sites don't allow editing, you post it, it is there...

I appreciate the possibility to edit posts, but it could be limited in time.. after all subsequent posts are responses to that post, not an edited (possibly totally different) one.

Just my 2 cents
Might actually be a good idea - it would thwart the spam-edits, as well as prevent people from going rampant and removing their old posts in pissed-off-fury :)
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 09:17 PM »
it's a pretty good idea i agree..
the only trouble would be those occasional posts where an update is useful, like changing a download link, or a first post of a thread which summarizes info, etc.

not sure how to strike a balance between the two.. maybe if by default editing was blocked after 24hrs, but a mod could reset it for a post on request?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 09:58 PM »
not sure how to strike a balance between the two.. maybe if by default editing was blocked after 24hrs, but a mod could reset it for a post on request?

Sounds to be a good compromise. One can always make a new post to refresh the information in a topic.
When everything else cascades from an early post, however, I can imagine situations in which an edit to that
early post would be useful to those coming to the topic for the first time.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 11:44 PM »
it's a pretty good idea i agree..
the only trouble would be those occasional posts where an update is useful, like changing a download link, or a first post of a thread which summarizes info, etc.

Set a filter limiting all new members to posts without URLs in them. I know that this is possible with Invision PowerBoard. Don’t know much about SMF's forum software; never had the opportunity to setup a forum using SMF. Worth a look.  8)

Jim

alivingspirit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 12:06 AM »
I don't like this.
Changing your post is a feature I really like about the forums.
A better idea would be to be able to see any changes made to a post. Kind of like a wiki.
As a rule. Things are usually better when you add features not when you take them away or limit them. So if the problem can be solved by adding a feature rather than taking one away, I'd go the adding way.
As far as spam goes. An edit is like a new post and should be treated as such. Nothing should be posted on a forum without a moderator seeing it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:11 AM by alivingspirit »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31 AM »
A better idea would be to be able to see any changes made to a post. Kind of like a wiki.

i think this should be done.. i've posted about this idea in the past and i think it's a great solution.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 12:33 AM »
I don't like this.
Changing your post is a feature I really like about the forums.
As a rule. Things are usually better when you add features not when you take them away or limit them. So if the problem can be solved by adding a feature rather than taking one away, I'd go the adding way.
As far as spam goes. An edit is like a new post and should be treated as such. Nothing should be posted on a forum without a moderator seeing it.

Problem with that is that I don’t believe there are any moderators with such permissions here - except mouser! Of course, if he has the time to moderate ALL posts here......  :P

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 02:06 AM »
Surely it all depends on the scale of the problem.

The community here has a lot of active protective members who would report spam etc when they saw it, so no need for moderators to be scouring posts themselves. Having moderators update useful links would be extra work too.

If you are going down the route of limiting how long posts are open for edit for, one option is for supporting members etc to have a longer period to edit than participants. I assume that this might be possible, though again no recent experience running a SMF forum.

Having all edits appear to moderators (if they automatically see all new posts already) makes sense. Lots of extra work if they don't already read all new posts.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 04:32 AM »
-cranioscopical (November 23, 2008, 09:54 AM)

Go on - have a go then!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Having all new posts having to go through moderator = bad idea. Lots of work for the moderators, and would "slow down" the forum. The spam problem is not bad enough that this is necessary at any rate.

"Wikifying", as in having revision control, is an interesting idea - but how difficult would it be to implement?

Disabling post-edit after <some timespan> seems like a reasonable compromise. And it could perhaps be re-enabled for people with more than X posts...
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 12:33 PM »
Having all new posts having to go through moderator = bad idea.
did anyone suggest that?

the various ideas as i saw them were:
  • wikify post changes -- my favorite
  • disable editing a post after 24 hours -- with mods being able to reset the time limit on request
  • leave everything as is

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 12:56 PM »
mouser: that's how I intepreted the last part of alivingspirit's post: "An edit is like a new post and should be treated as such. Nothing should be posted on a forum without a moderator seeing it." - emphasis is mine :)
- carpe noctem