ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

DC loads fast. What is the secret.

(1/4) > >>

alivingspirit:
As a religious reader of DC forums I can't help but notice how fast the pages load compared to other websites. On my computer it sometimes loads faster than the Google homepage so I use it regularly when I want to check my internet connection. What is the secret to this speed? Why don't other websites know about it? Or am I just imagining things?

mouser:
The secret is a $279 a month dedicated server.  :huh:

And it needs to be pointed out that the only reason we can afford that is because of donations from ordinary people to support the site.

CWuestefeld:
How does DC avoid spam users?

I have a SMF forum that's been under attack for the past week, getting numerous user registrations that are clearly bogus. I've responded in a completely reactive fashion. Since my forum is only of local interest, and the bad guys are using IP blocks that ARIN says are European, I just ban IP ranges as they hit me. But this means I'm always playing catch-up.

I don't want to switch to the model where I have to approve each registration -- I think that interferes with getting new users participating.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it?

f0dder:
As a religious reader of DC forums I can't help but notice how wonderful the people who participate are, compared to other websites. Why do we fail to attract nasty trolls and stupid idiots? Or am I just imagining things? :-*

mitzevo:
Get a grip f0dder ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version