topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: WaggleImage on Bits du Jour (Nov 18 2008)  (Read 49394 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WaggleImage on Bits du Jour (Nov 18 2008)
« on: November 19, 2008, 12:16 AM »
Bits du Jour are offering WaggleImage tonight at 62% discount.

This looks interesting - in the same category as Nuance's PaperPort. Anyone heard of/used it before? The price is certainly attractive at that discount.

Developers website is here.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WaggleImage on Bits du Jour (Nov 18 2008)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:01 AM »
No OCR?

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 06:50 AM »
At present we don't include OCR functionality although the hooks are in place in the application.  The royalties required for any OCR engines that provide a good recognition rate are high which effectively prohibits us from supplying them and still keeping the product price the same.  We do include Barcode support (1D and 2D) and are looking at some options here to provide OCR in the future.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50 AM »
At present we don't include OCR functionality although the hooks are in place in the application.  The royalties required for any OCR engines that provide a good recognition rate are high which effectively prohibits us from supplying them

I have a suggestion:

Microsoft Office has OCR capability; this is used by the nifty little tool JOCR. Perhaps for customers that have already paid for this OCR API by purchasing Office, you could employ that.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Microsoft Office has OCR capability; this is used by the nifty little tool JOCR. Perhaps for customers that have already paid for this OCR API by purchasing Office, you could employ that.

That sounds like a good interim solution, we will take a look at it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:25 PM »
I bought this on another BDJ promotion- between moving and wedding I won't have any time until the first of next month, but I'll try to post a mini-review then.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:26 PM »
Darn - I missed this one!

Bits is screwing up their daily emails again. After they stopped for a few weeks the admin posted about email server problems and said all was finally fixed. I did start getting their emails again, but usually about one email every other day or so. Plus, instead of the target email time of shortly after midnight EST, they sometimes come the following afternoon or evening - only hours before the deals expire.

Guess I need to drop them and try to remember to check the RSS feed from now on. Don’t know why but apparently they can't get a handle on daily email notifications at all.

Jim

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:14 AM »
Darn - I missed this one!

If you send us an email at the sales address, I am sure we will be able to make a plan.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 12:56 PM »
We have WaggleImage on special again on the 26th of June if anyone is interested.  It's the same deal as before - 62% off.  We are almost ready with OCR as part of the application (which does not require MS Office) and it is due out next month.

http://www.bitsdujou...oftware/waggleimage/

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 08:57 AM »
We have a July 4 special on WaggleImage 3.0 for anyone who is interested. The product will be selling for only $9.99 starting at 00:00 on July 4th 2011 and the special will be available for only 24 hours. The product now has OCR and a number of other new options.

You can find more information on the special at:

http://wagglesoft.co...;id=31&Itemid=31

Alternatively the main page of the web site is available here:

http://wagglesoft.com/web/index.php

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:55 PM »
the offer is generous and tempting: $10 instead of $129...: wow! Version 3 was launched 16 December 2010, so it is still quite new - hopefully not a soon-to-be-replaced-by-a-major-version offer. (?)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Anyone here using this now? Sounds like a great deal, but only if it's a good program. I haven't found anyone who is currently using it.

Jim

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 04:17 AM »
the offer is generous and tempting: $10 instead of $129...: wow! Version 3 was launched 16 December 2010, so it is still quite new - hopefully not a soon-to-be-replaced-by-a-major-version offer. (?)

New product sales include a year worth of software assurance that entitles the user to all new versions (major and minor) released over the next 12 months.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 03:42 AM »
Anyone here using this now? Sounds like a great deal, but only if it's a good program. I haven't found anyone who is currently using it.

I have asked a couple of our customers to post here but they are not members here so we will have to wait and see if any sign up and post. There could be some customers who are members here but I am not sure.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 04:05 AM »
New product sales include a year worth of software assurance that entitles the user to all new versions (major and minor) released over the next 12 months.

I see that the Software Assurance is also on sale - would it be pointless to purchase it for a new license or would it extend the software assurance to 2 years?

By the way - thanks for letting us know about this special.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 05:32 AM »
This looks tempting, organising/sorting my documents is a key need I have, and haven't fulfilled yet in spite of trying.

What concerns me a little is that it seems the documents are moved into a database, they are no longer on disk as files that can be viewed elsewhere. Is this correct?

I produce most of my documents through writing/printing to pdt/capture from web/capture from camera rather than scanning so I am wondering - are the benefits more on the scan/ocr/index side of the process or are the tag/organise/dispatch features also worth it (of course at 9.99 it is a bargain and I could try, but each software bought does demand time to learn, so I better check)

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 06:11 AM »
I see that the Software Assurance is also on sale - would it be pointless to purchase it for a new license or would it extend the software assurance to 2 years?

By the way - thanks for letting us know about this special.

Purchasing the software assurance will extend the software assurance to 2 years.

It's only a pleasure, I have been a long time lurker on this site so it's nice to give back a bit.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 06:18 AM »
This looks tempting, organising/sorting my documents is a key need I have, and haven't fulfilled yet in spite of trying.

What concerns me a little is that it seems the documents are moved into a database, they are no longer on disk as files that can be viewed elsewhere. Is this correct?

The documents are stored on the file system with indexing information in a database. They are named through Guids so it's not possible to view them from outside the system. The DMS that we are are busy finalizing exposes these documents to all applications on a drive letter.

I produce most of my documents through writing/printing to pdt/capture from web/capture from camera rather than scanning so I am wondering - are the benefits more on the scan/ocr/index side of the process or are the tag/organise/dispatch features also worth it (of course at 9.99 it is a bargain and I could try, but each software bought does demand time to learn, so I better check)

It mainly about organization, management and fast searching of documents. It can import documents and images from the file system but I am not sure if it will benefit you directly. It all depends on the number of documents you have. There are some nifty features that may be of use such as the advanced printing and the ability to email images as PDF's but it really is touch and go for your situation.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 10:57 AM »
@WaggleSoft - Committing all my records to your system is a pretty big leap of faith. I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable in doing so if there were a way to export the data into some standardized format (XML, CSV, Excel, whatever). Do you have any way to do that?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 11:29 AM »

My concern with this program - as well as others so categorized as "document management" apps - is that they are actually just for managing PDF files that are scanned into them; not truly managing all of the documents on my computer. I have yet to find any program that even attempts to assist with organizing - let alone managing - all my actual "documents", of all types.

That said, I am not certain yet just what Wagglesoft does so maybe I shouldn’t rant about this software category in general here.  :)

Thanks!

Jim

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 11:51 AM »
@WaggleSoft - Committing all my records to your system is a pretty big leap of faith. I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable in doing so if there were a way to export the data into some standardized format (XML, CSV, Excel, whatever). Do you have any way to do that?

I understand your concern. We haven't had anyone move off the system yet so it hasn't been needed. It will be as simple as drag and drop when the DMS is released as all of the documents are exposed on the normal file system with the DMS as a drive letter. They are secured so one would obviously need a user name and password to copy them off. It you are really concerned about it I could ask one of the developers to put something together and we can upload it to the site in the next two week or so. We will have to add a user name and password to prevent unauthorized access but it's relatively simple.

We have been in business for almost 10 years if that helps to make you feel more comfortable.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 11:54 AM »
My concern with this program - as well as others so categorized as "document management" apps - is that they are actually just for managing PDF files that are scanned into them; not truly managing all of the documents on my computer. I have yet to find any program that even attempts to assist with organizing - let alone managing - all my actual "documents", of all types.

That said, I am not certain yet just what Wagglesoft does so maybe I shouldn’t rant about this software category in general here.  :)

Our Home DMS should be right up your alley then :). I will post here when we release it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Waggle,

I'm not certain what you are saying. Does your software offer organizational and/or management of all types of documents? Or just PDF files, as most software in this category seems to do? I will most likely make the purchase because, hey - at ths price I can't really lose! But before I actually install and use it I would want to take the time to learn what it really offers in the way of "document management".

On my main PC I currently have two so-called document management programs installed: One came with my Fujitsu Scansoft document scanner, and the other is Nuance Paperport 12 Pro. The Scansoft program simply takes documents that I scan with their scanner and save as PDF files and puts them into a folder where I track all of them. Can't even import any other existing PDF files though. Extremely weak IMO. Paperport appears to be another program that allows me to scan documents - with any supported scanner - and store them within a set of folders that Paperport tracks. Paperport also has a fairly decent search facility for searching any folders for PDF files. It also allows the import of other PDF files and folders. However it doesn’t handle any other type of document, like .doc, .xls, .txt and others. IMO I have two main types of user data files on my computer: document files and media files. I do have programs that track all my media files very well. It's the doggone document files that no one seems to want to offer a program to track!

Thanks!

Jim

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 12:22 PM »
I'm not certain what you are saying. Does your software offer organizational and/or management of all types of documents? Or just PDF files, as most software in this category seems to do? I will most likely make the purchase because, hey - at ths price I can't really lose! But before I actually install and use it I would want to take the time to learn what it really offers in the way of "document management".

WaggleImage is primarily for managing scanned documents and imported PDF's. While it does support other document types, that's not really it's primary function. It won't do what you need above.

WaggleDMS is a completely different beast. It is used for managing all types of documents. Word, PDF, Excel, etc. The document type does not matter. It helps that WaggleImage integrates into
WaggleDMS as you can then scan documents and manage them directly in the DMS. It is presently in a closed beta and because it integrates into the OS shell, I would hate to give a release date.

On my main PC I currently have two so-called document management programs installed: One came with my Fujitsu Scansoft document scanner, and the other is Nuance Paperport 12 Pro. The Scansoft program simply takes documents that I scan with their scanner and save as PDF files and puts them into a folder where I track all of them. Can't even import any other existing PDF files though. Extremely weak IMO. Paperport appears to be another program that allows me to scan documents - with any supported scanner - and store them within a set of folders that Paperport tracks. Paperport also has a fairly decent search facility for searching any folders for PDF files. It also allows the import of other PDF files and folders. However it doesn’t handle any other type of document, like .doc, .xls, .txt and others. IMO I have two main types of user data files on my computer: document files and media files. I do have programs that track all my media files very well. It's the doggone document files that no one seems to want to offer a program to track!

Both of these above are competitors to WaggleImage. They don't really play in the DMS space. Managing all of your document files is where WaggleDMS plays.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 12:50 PM »
It is presently in a closed beta and because it integrates into the OS shell, I would hate to give a release date.

Just to give some more detail. The OS integration is means that the software needs to be 100% stable. For this reason we are making sure that we test on all possible environments.