topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: WaggleImage on Bits du Jour (Nov 18 2008)  (Read 49420 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WaggleImage on Bits du Jour (Nov 18 2008)
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Version 3 was launched 16 December 2010,

The new version is 3.02

OCR is new. Quite a big thing to add to a minor update, I think.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Version 3 was launched 16 December 2010,

The new version is 3.02

yeah, my email only mentioned versions 2 and 3.0.2 so I thought it was a 2 => 3 upgrade
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 09:19 AM »
you were not told about 3.0 because emails about updates  are an exception, until the automatic updater has been re-fixed.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 10:22 AM »
My thoughts on the upgrade:

• OCR is indeed nice, however since this is supposed to be in competition with Paperport and Fujitsu's ScanSnap document management software (per Wagglesoft rep on page 1 of this thread) I would have expected OCR to be a standard feature from the start!
  • Same goes for "PDF Support"; after all this is for managing scanned documents to PDF files, isn't it?
  • And Windows 7 support? Seems to a little past due also!

Then again, maybe I'm just being an overly nit-picky pain in the ass! (Some tell me that I CAN be like that....  every now and then...   :P  )  If so, I apologize for nothing at all!  (OK, maybe a little...)

Thanks!

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59 AM »
... before I actually install and use it I would want to take the time to learn what it really offers in the way of "document management".
WaggleImage is primarily for managing scanned documents and imported PDF's. While it does support other document types, that's not really it's primary function. It won't do what you need above.

WaggleDMS is a completely different beast. It is used for managing all types of documents. Word, PDF, Excel, etc. The document type does not matter. It helps that WaggleImage integrates into WaggleDMS as you can then scan documents and manage them directly in the DMS. It is presently in a closed beta and because it integrates into the OS shell, I would hate to give a release date.
-WaggleSoft

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05 PM »
Not sure what your point is Curt. I understand what DMS will be but WaggleImage was supposed to be the one that manages your PDFs - you don’t think that a PDF/scanned document organizer should have had built-in PDF capabilities? Especially since the Ghost driver is free?

Or maybe I'm missing the point of your post?

Thanks!

Jim

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2011, 01:58 PM »
The Bad (?):  Doesn’t look like a whole lot of was added; biggest seems to be you can now export from WaggleImage...   :huh:

The Ugly:  They added a "ribbon" interface, though why anyone would announce this as a feature is a mystery to me. Could be beneficial if WaggleImage had innumerable menu and sub-menu items like MS Office, but nothing but poor window-dressing for any programs that don’t. I would love to hear the reasoning behind a ribbon for this app.

We had to do an email announcement because we broke the automatic updates when we switched to our new hosting provider. Some technical limitations which we thought we could overcome prevented the automatic updates in the software from picking up new versions (we used to host the updates in an ISAPI DLL but could not get it converted and working nicely at our new host which is running on linux). A bit of an oversight :( . We have switched the server portion to a standard web service to prevent this from happening in the future and it is now fixed in the new version.

The upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 was fairly minor and included only the Export, some bug fixes and the crucial fix to the automatic updates.

And now, the ugly part :)

The Ribbon and a number of other features were added in 3.0 in December. 3.0 was a major upgrade which included the OCR, scanning profiles and a lot of other features which are listed on the 'what's new' page. One crucial new feature in 3.0 is the splitting of the software into two parts, a service and a client. This was necessary because of a number of other features we have planned of the software (including home multi-user access) but also, more importantly, to get it ready to work alongside and integrate into the DMS.

The Ribbon is a matter of preference and we were pushed a lot by clients to add some spit and polish to the software (and Ribbon). We feel that it works better than it did before but not everyone will like it.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 02:01 PM »
I havent installed it yet (any version), so cant really comment - did get email notification of (free) upgrade from 2.x [upgrade price may depend on when you bought it]

If you receive the email then you are entitled to a free upgrade. We increased the software assurance for a number of people because of the delay in releasing version 3.0.

The upgrades work as follows. All updates to the software will work for minor updates even after the software assurance expires. New major upgrades will not be included unless the software assurance is up to date.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 02:04 PM »
yeah, my email only mentioned versions 2 and 3.0.2 so I thought it was a 2 => 3 upgrade

We included some new features on the 2 to 3 upgrade (which included OCR) because we still have some customers on the old version who have not upgraded. Support normally answers these emails from people and suggests an upgrade but it helps to tell everyone about as we had to send out the email because of the broken auto-updates.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2011, 02:24 PM »
  • OCR is indeed nice, however since this is supposed to be in competition with Paperport and Fujitsu's ScanSnap document management software (per Wagglesoft rep on page 1 of this thread) I would have expected OCR to be a standard feature from the start!

It's been out for a bit. The reason why it wasn't included by default was just a cost one. Paperport, for example, make their own OCR engine and licensing for them is quite expensive. We needed an option that didn't impact the price. We also include barcode recognition which is not supported in all of the products.

• Same goes for "PDF Support"; after all this is for managing scanned documents to PDF files, isn't it?

We don't store documents as PDF files internally. It's not an ideal format, especially when you start dealing with documents with hundreds of pages. This really becomes an issue when people start accessing documents from a remote location. A PDF file needs to be downloaded in it's entirety. We stream the pages down individually and someone can choose to move to another document after two pages without having the overhead of a huge, unnecessary download.

• And Windows 7 support? Seems to a little past due also!

It always used to work in Windows 7. This is just now official support (was released in December last year). To get listed on the Microsoft site you need to "officially" support Windows 7 32bit and 64bit versions.

Then again, maybe I'm just being an overly nit-picky pain in the ass! (Some tell me that I CAN be like that....  every now and then...   :P  )  If so, I apologize for nothing at all!  (OK, maybe a little...)

Nit-picky is good. I would prefer it if our customers were happy with the software. Anything we can change to help that is always going to be a good thing. Far too often people just keep quiet and don't tell you when there is something they don't like. We had a customer where one of the staff accidently deleted one of the database tables on their server. The staff just kept ignoring the errors while complaining to each other about the software.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 07:09 PM »
wagglesoft - thank you for being so active here and answering questions... I have one, I've installed Wagglesoft but can't log-in! What to do?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 09:17 PM »
wagglesoft - thank you for being so active here and answering questions... I have one, I've installed Wagglesoft but can't log-in! What to do?

Log-in coming in 3.03...  OK KIDDING!!   :)  :P

I do thank you also Waggle. I don’t know - I read the update features and first of all I thought it was a major upgrade. My bad.

Regarding the ribbon though, I still feel that is only a valid UI when standard menus become too overloaded with multitudes of sub-menus, as Office had become. But if standard menus are reasonable then the ribbon UI is completely superfluous. IMO it should only be added by necessity, not for "looks".

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2011, 10:54 PM »
 ;D

Yeah... My problem is that I can't see how to set up an account, it won't let me leave the fields blank and logging in with user credentials under Win7 4-bit doesn't work. Is there an ini file somewhere, or a registry key, that I can edit or something?

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Log-in coming in 3.03...  OK KIDDING!!   :)  :P

Ahh, but we can release it through an auto-update :)

I do thank you also Waggle. I don’t know - I read the update features and first of all I thought it was a major upgrade. My bad.

No problem at all. We don't like to send out emails because a lot of people hate getting them so it's unusual for us to send them out which is probably why it seemed like a major upgrade.

Regarding the ribbon though, I still feel that is only a valid UI when standard menus become too overloaded with multitudes of sub-menus, as Office had become. But if standard menus are reasonable then the ribbon UI is completely superfluous. IMO it should only be added by necessity, not for "looks".

In the early betas for version 3 we included both the old menu system and the ribbon. Not one of the testers used the old version. They all preferred to use the ribbon version. The dynamic nature of the system (we can and do add new modules which are loaded dynamically by the software) means that we have no idea how many modules (and how many actions for those modules) will be loaded in the future so it could easily become very saturated with the standard menu system.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2011, 06:43 AM »
;D

Yeah... My problem is that I can't see how to set up an account, it won't let me leave the fields blank and logging in with user credentials under Win7 4-bit doesn't work. Is there an ini file somewhere, or a registry key, that I can edit or something?

You can only add new users, etc from inside the software (i.e. you need to log in first). Typically you would use the repository manager to add new repositories. The user is only presented with a button indicating that the software is running in open mode when first accessing a repository. They can then change the default password for the Administrator and add new users.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Thank you, wagglesoft. I got my head out of my rear-end and e-mailed support directly and everything was resolved VERY quickly. I'm very impressed. FWIW, it was the repository that I couldn't login to view. As advised,  I used the Repository manager to create a new repository and set up a new password for it, then shut down WaggleImage and fired up the repository manager again and deleted the original, and inaccessible, repository. It's all good...

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I finally got around to setting up WaggleImage, as the wife finally wants to switch our accounts over to electronic billing. So WaggleImage should wind up replacing our filing cabinet.

Anyway, after installing, I immediately ran into a problem where I wasn't able to start up the program. But upon contacting their support, WaggleSoft's Dean spent a good deal of time with me, right through the weekend, eventually finding a way around my problems. So the app is running properly now, and I'm off and running.

I just wanted to return the favor for their dedicated customer service, by publicly giving them kudos for it.

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Is Waggle alive? I'm unable to download the software from their website with FF or Opera.
(Last update was in April)

http://wagglesoft.co...;id=11&Itemid=16
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2012, 06:16 PM »
-oh, did you realize the license is running out in a few weeks, and wanted to save the latest version? But you're right, wagglesoft.com/[link now fixed]2b.exe is empty, not working. I have posted about it on his waggle facebook profile, but it seems he never goes there either.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:38 PM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2012, 04:08 AM »
Thanks Curt, that's a bummer
Tom

WaggleSoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2012, 05:32 PM »
-oh, did you realize the license is running out in a few weeks, and wanted to save the latest version? But you're right, http://wagglesoft.co.../WaggleImage302b.exe is empty, not working. I have posted about it on his waggle facebook profile, but it seems he never goes there either.

Sorry about the problem. We switched to a new hosting provider a while back and it's not exactly been a bed of roses. They keep switching IP addresses on us which causes all sorts of problems as our domain controlled through them. We are planning a move to Rackspace but it does take a little while to action these things without impacting clients too much. We have already moved our Email to them and they really are brilliant.

We did receive the note on Facebook and that alerted us to the problem which we have since resolved it. We have some big things in the pipeline which should make all of our existing customers very excited. We increased the software assurance for all clients by another 12 months to cover the delay in this new release.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2012, 07:54 PM »
We increased the software assurance for all clients by another 12 months to cover the delay in this new release.

-wow, Thanks!  :up:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Very nice!

Thank you Wagglesoft.

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2012, 10:02 AM »
thanks!

that's good to hear
Tom