topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYPlorer ($15) Nov 24 at BDJ  (Read 16293 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYPlorer ($15) Nov 24 at BDJ
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Am i the only one who feels this is an overrated application? I mean, when I manage files, I like to be able to launch directly to the folder I want by using the run dialog. I cannot do this with XYPlorer. There are so many little nauances about this application which make me turn away from it. I have tried each version hoping it was better than the first, but I guess it's just not for me. DOpus isn't much better and that one turns me off even more so due to its high price.

Ah well, I guess I am the only person who does things this way.

Thanks for the find superboy! Even if I do not use it :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Don already had informed us about this (here), but it's always good to get a reminder, and in the correct section ;)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:58 AM »
I like to be able to launch directly to the folder I want by using the run dialog. ... DOpus isn't much better and that one turns me off even more so due to its high price.

I just tested this as a DOpus user. I am able to launch a folder in DOpus by entering the path in Run. Of course, you're right that it's very expensive.

FWIW, I agree with your assessment of XYplorer -- it seems like they've just thrown a whole laundry list of features in, without much thought as to integrating them into a way that makes coherent sense.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:24 PM »
FWIW, I agree with your assessment of XYplorer -- it seems like they've just thrown a whole laundry list of features in, without much thought as to integrating them into a way that makes coherent sense.
The opposite is true.

About the run dialog (Josh, aka Metshrine is serial-punishing me in fileforum for months now, poor idiot): If you allow yourself to think for a minute: This is a system function. Run dialog = system component. Not software feature. Got it?

And for the future: Before you talk bad about something in public, please get to know it first, or simply shut up.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37 PM »
DonL: I realize you feel that I am posting more than one review on fileforum, but this is not the place to argue that. I have a single account, Metshrine, and apologize if you feel that because my post instigated others to finally post negative reviews on fileforum, that those similar posts are me in disguise. I suggest you sit back and realize that others may share my point of view and that they finally realized that they too can voice their opinion.

Now, I am asking the administration to remove your post here as it is a direct attack on me and I do not appreciate it. I am sorry that your software is unable to do what other programs can do, and that it has many other bugs/issues which seem to go unresolved version after version, but that is not my fault nor my place to try and consoul you into seeing how I view things.

Deal with it and move on.

Mouser, I ask that this be handled.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:04 PM by Josh »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37 PM »
The opposite is true.
Oh, well now I understand completely, and see exactly how I went wrong.

About the run dialog (Josh, aka Metshrine is serial-punishing me in fileforum for months now, poor idiot): If you allow yourself to think for a minute: This is a system function. Run dialog = system component. Not software feature. Got it?

And for the future: Before you talk bad about something in public, please get to know it first, or simply shut up.

Had you read my post, you'd see that this works in DOpus. It's able to replace Windows Explorer with itself, so (almost) everything that Explorer will do, DOpus will instead. It's that simple.

Perhaps before you call someone out, calling them idiots or telling them to shut up, you should make sure you're not putting your own foot in your mouth.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Mouser, this post needs to be removed. I am sorry, but the fact that DonL attacks someone like this on DC is not appreciated.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Xyplorer is a nice piece of software. It is true that it is not a software for casual using. You just need to get into it and start modifying, collecting scripts etc.

I can actually run Xyplorer within any other application, I also can enable Xyplorer in "run" mode in which it comes with the adress bar in the middle of the screen. But I use ahk global keys for these. So it is possible.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 03:02 PM »
note as an xyplorer user: I've been using xyplorer for some time, and consider it a fine piece of software, at least good enough for me to miss it when I'm using a PC that doesn't have it.
Nevertheless, even if I didn't consider XY a good file explorer, I don't think it's correct for people to attack each other for such thing. Honestly, I don't think there's need for Don to offend Josh, and I don't think it's right for Josh to attack Don's work so fiercely.
XYplorer is what it is: and alternative in the field of file explorers, and sure has its upsides and downsides, but those should be discussed sanelly, not with personal offenses.
Anyway, Josh: if you feel so strongly about XYplorer not being a good file manager, you could just not use it and go on with your bussiness :)

note as a mod: I will not delete any posts, as I leave that decision for mouser

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:48 PM »
Whoa!  It's unusual for this to happen at DC, let's not break the great spirit of this site.

Josh, I feel it's a little unfair to call a program overrated due to a missing feature that is rather subtle.  It may not be the program you're looking for because you really need that feature, but I don't think it's a bad program because of it.  I don't think you meant that, though, at least, I didn't read it that way.

Anyway, personally, I feel XYplorer is a good program.  I use DOpus mainly, and Total Commander for backup or for obscure tasks now and then, but I've tried XYPlorer and was more than satisfied with it.  And the author is pretty receptive to user's needs.  Furthermore, Zaine (used) to highly recommend it and I respect his opinion on stuff like this.

There are so many choices for file managers.  A lot of them are good.  That's great for us, because we can get whatever we want!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Not much to add beyond what's already been stated by superboyac and João - just wanted to add my support to the perspective that they're both offering and to reiterate their request for calmer heads to prevail. I'd hate to see this escalate on either this forum or over on the XYplorer forums (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Honestly, I don't think there's need for Don to offend Josh, and I don't think it's right for Josh to attack Don's work so fiercely.
Anyway, Josh: if you feel so strongly about XYplorer not being a good file manager, you could just not use it and go on with your bussiness :)

I read and re-read Josh's 1st post in this thread and don't see that as a fierce attack. Dislikes many little nuances, says its not for him, says Dopus is nearly as bad and thanks superboyac for the find. It may be that he has attacked it more strongly in another place - but I don't see it in his first post in this thread. CWuestefeld is more critical. And Don's post is undoubtedly insulting to both. I don't want to add fuel to the apparent flames, but I think that trying to calm things by inaccurately suggesting that the tone in the posts is equivalent is not the way to go.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 07:07 PM »
João is referring to the FileForum postings and an exchange that occured on the XYPlorer forum, I think...

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 07:24 PM »
I appreciate that might be the case (but have no wish to check), but I think it is important not to import the antagonism and bitterness that might be expressed in other forums here. I don't think Josh's post did, but can see that can have happened with Don's.

Equally, I don't think it is for us while we are here to express views on what is acceptable on other forums, some of which are very fiery or crude. OTT posts in other places need to be dealt with there and not here.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Well said, Dormouse  :Thmbsup:

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 11:29 PM »
Josh, I feel it's a little unfair to call a program overrated due to a missing feature that is rather subtle.  It may not be the program you're looking for because you really need that feature, but I don't think it's a bad program because of it.  I don't think you meant that, though, at least, I didn't read it that way.

Superboyac, with all due respect, I did not say it was due to lack of THIS feature that I felt the program was overrated. I feel most file manager in general are overrated as I am not able to fully replace windows explorer due to lots of nagging little issues. The big killer for me on any file manager, yes, is the run dialog shell intercepts, however, I do not and will not rate a program down completely on that sole feature. I have been testing each XYPlorer version, as well as several other file managers, over the course of the past 2 years in an attempt to find something which could rid me of certain bugs which were present in Windows Explorer (Not so much anymore with Vista) but alas, many minor things equate to a big problem for me in many programs.

Now, I have posted a total of 4 reviews on betanews, as can be seen here Most of which have now been removed in typical betanews fashion. My reviews were of the same manner as the post I originally made above, however, all an author has to do is complain to betanews and they will remove them. That said, I will not sugar coat my thoughts. If I feel a program is to be rated lower due to lots of little things, I will rate it as such. I don't rate on the basis of what the program is STRIVING to be, I rate it on what it is. Now, apparently DonL could not take my criticism and has had mine and several other legitimate reviews removed because he doesn't like criticism of his program. If he can't take the criticism, perhaps software is the wrong field for him.

Sorry, I will not hide my ratings or feelings because some author is unable to stand any sort of criticism.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 12:06 AM »
I can understand Don's feelings, especially if he believes that Josh is 'serial-punishing' him whenever he can, but as someone who frequents the DC forums I would like to be able to slam software whenever I feel like it without having to worry about the thread getting personal.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 12:26 AM »
nosh: I have not been serial-punishing anyone. I am not sure what he implies by that but I can only assume it's what others have accused me of which is having multiple accounts. Apparently, when one person posts on certain sites, it sparks others to do the same because they dont feel they have to hide anymore due to the "fanboys" consistently posting. And as such, anyone who posts negatively must be the other negative posters in disguise.

Anyways, whatever, I do not want DC to become a flame factory and as such will concede this topic for my remaining time. I felt my initial post was pretty well mannered and wasn't intended to be inflamatory, merely a statement of my opinion. Oh well, such is life on the intarweb.

DonL, peace! I do not want a fight with you. I just ask that you respect my opinion. You might not think my requests are necessary but as a potential end-user, my requests might be that feature which I require for daily interaction with my PC and as such, can cause me issues if I do not have said feature. Your product is OK, but as I said, there are many problems with it which make me turn away. I am sorry if you feel I am trying to "serial-punish" you, but that is not the case.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 02:01 AM »
DonL, peace! I do not want a fight with you. I just ask that you respect my opinion. You might not think my requests are necessary but as a potential end-user, my requests might be that feature which I require for daily interaction with my PC and as such, can cause me issues if I do not have said feature. Your product is OK, but as I said, there are many problems with it which make me turn away. I am sorry if you feel I am trying to "serial-punish" you, but that is not the case.
Giving a program a rating of 1 out of 5 because it does not have a particular feature is not fair. Doing this repeated times, because "it still does not have the feature" is less fair. Josh, you know very well that public user reviews and ratings are an important part of a software's public image, and for me as an independent software developer, it's even more so because I cannot afford bought campaigns. So, isn't it logical that I'm not happy to see that somebody is constantly working on lowering my overall rating on an important site (fileforum) and now is continuing this ("There are so many little nauances about this application... ") on another imporant site (DC).

If you are a user of XYplorer, and you find a bug or have a wish, why don't you simply tell me about it in the user forum? It will be usually handled very fast. And if it's not handled you will learn why. Then you can move on to another software that's better for you. No problem.
I cannot take criticism? Come on, I'm working in this business long enough now, and I get my share every day. I can take it. What I won't tolerate, however, is unfairess.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 02:14 AM »
Give Don some credit please. He is releasing a patch every couple days. That is so rare in this business. Software development is hard, bitching is easy. I personally think that the bitching should be directed to the developer and should be done in private unless the developer chooses not to respond to the user questions and features.In this case, I thought that Don has been very very responsive and responsible at least under Xyplorer forums.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:16 AM by kartal »

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 02:25 AM »
Addendum to explain my rage: Indeed the offensive "serial punishment" comments have been removed from FileForum yesterday. Leaving XYplorer with 206 votes and an average rating of 4.1/5 points. This morning, exactly 10 hours later, I see 220 votes and 3.9/5 points (just enough to change the color of the ratings graphic from silver to bronce). Do the math and you see: Somebody (whether one or more cannot be safely said) has given XYplorer 14 times a 1/5 rating. Since you cannot vote two times with the same account, he must have created 14 accounts just to achieve this. So, how would you feel if you were me?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 02:42 AM »
DonL: As I said, the application is OK. It is just not my cup of tea due to many little quirks about it which I do not like. Most of which are minor and I can overlook, but a lack in functionality which causes me to be non-productive is something I will rate down. I am sorry that someone is smearing you on fileforum, but I assure you, my sole account is Metshrine.

Anyways, Peace, I do not want to ruin this thread any further. Let others speak to the merits of this application as just because it is not for me, it might be for others.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 02:49 AM »
Addendum to explain my rage: Indeed the offensive "serial punishment" comments have been removed from FileForum yesterday. Leaving XYplorer with 206 votes and an average rating of 4.1/5 points. This morning, exactly 10 hours later, I see 220 votes and 3.9/5 points (just enough to change the color of the ratings graphic from silver to bronce). Do the math and you see: Somebody (whether one or more cannot be safely said) has given XYplorer 14 times a 1/5 rating. Since you cannot vote two times with the same account, he must have created 14 accounts just to achieve this. So, how would you feel if you were me?
I can understand why you are suspicious, and factually you may or may not be right - I don't know - though Josh denies it.

However, that is an issue you should be raising in/with FileForum and not here. Josh's tone in his comments here was much more moderate than yours, and I do not believe that a more aggressive tone should be imported into this forum. What I'd also say is that aggression and insults from a vendor, however justified the feelings behind them may be, are likely to be very offputting to potential customers.

Even more so when out of context and with no immediately visible back story.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:57 AM by Dormouse »

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 02:58 AM »
I can understand why you are suspicious, and factually you may or may not be right - I don't know - though Josh denies it.

However, that is an issue you should be raising in/with FileForum and not here. Josh's tone in his comments here was much more moderate than yours, and I do not believe that a more aggressive tone should be imported into this forum. What I'd also say is that aggression and insults from a vendor, however justified the feelings behind them may be, are likely to be very offputting to potential customers.

Even more so when out of context and with no immediately visible back story.
Yep, I blew a fuse. Sorry about that.