ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

advice needed.....FirstDefense-ISR, ShadowProtect, ShadowUser, Rollback Rx???

<< < (3/6) > >>

icekin:
I've used Rollback Rx and while it was a good backup tool but had 2 serious limitations:

1. Unable to defragment with any other defragmenter besides Rollback's own defragmenter.

2. Eats Disk Space! Once I installed Rollback, I started to notice that my C drive starting to shrink. No, I don't mean more used space, I mean the whole drive shrank. I was supposed to have a 60 GB HDD, yet Explorer and even Space Monger only showed it as 34GB. I then learnt that Rollback backs up differentially meaning it allows every change and file you have deleted to be restored if necessary. Thus, if you downloaded a 10GB file and deleted it, it would be deleted from your working system, but Rollback would still have it in its backup partition. I found that characteristic of Rollback to be undesirable.

I now use Acronis 8 (still works great) to snapshot every week and Karen's Replicator to regularly backup folders to an external drive.

Paul Keith:
I haven't use these kinds of programs before. Any guide on how to use ShadowProtect and Returnil together?

J-Mac:
Edit:[/b]  I just checked my invoice: the added support package I purchased is as follows:

"Gold Support - 24hour response, email of updates, patches and new builds"

Ha! Some fools' "gold" I paid for, eh?
-J-Mac (November 17, 2008, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you paid by credit card trying getting a refund because they are not providing the service and if that fails go to the credit card company for a refund.

I don't know where you are based but in the UK the Consumer Credit Act means that the credit card company is jointly responsible with the seller for sales and services bought on credit.
-Carol Haynes (November 18, 2008, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice thought, Carol, but I purchased FD-Rescue back in July. It appears to work as designed, but the fact that it must be installed on the system drive coupled with the fact that it will not allow you to exclude a lot of user data makes it get too large for my comfort.

The support issue is a disgrace but it is probably too late to get the money back from the credit card company.

Jim

Carol Haynes:
If they aren't providing the service (ie. priority support) you purchased they are in breach of contract. Worth trying to get that charge back.

Paul Keith:
Anyone? Ok, to be more specific, what I don't get is doesn't either Returnil or ShadowProtect already back up your files on their own?

So how does having two backups secure the pc more than either program alone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version