topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Thumb trackball wanted  (Read 21907 times)

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thumb trackball wanted
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:06 AM »
I own and love a Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0.   The trackball is thumb operated and it has 5 configurable buttons (including depressing the scroll wheel).   Of course I seem to be the only one left in the known universe who likes a thumb trackball since Microsoft and all other mouse manufacturers seem to have stopped making them.

I am worried that if anything happens to this one I'll be forced back into the pack having to move the mouse around or using an ordinary trackball.  I have thus searched a ton of stores on and off line and have gone to eBay in desparation.  On eBay the few I found were from questionable sellers, used (too risky), or more than I want to pay (especially since I don't believe any are really new - I have puchased new on eBay before and gotten reconditioned).

Picture is attached and info on the product can be found here: http://www.microsoft...9724d3d&type=ovr

Bottom line:  Anyone know of a reliable source for the product or a comparable product that I have somehow failed to come across in my search?  Maybe you have one you didn't like and so didn't use much tucked away in a drawer?

BTW - this is the one and only Microsoft product I have ever owned that I really liked (although I just don't have enough motivation yet to change OS).  I have had it since 1998 if I remember correctly and it still works perfectly - with occasional removal of lint.

You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Thumb trackball wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Logitech still makes them:

http://www.logitech....kballs/&cl=us,en

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:20 PM »
I went through the same thing a year or so ago.  Trackballs seemed to vanish from the local stores.
FWIW I bought a few Logitech models from here which all were good, and cheap (I'm using one right now).
I'm not associated with this outfit in any way but the odd item(s) that I've bought from them all have arrived well-packed and in good working order. 
I'll buy from them again without qualms if/when they have something I can't find locally.

[edit: can't spell]

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:22 PM by cranioscopical »

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Holy Cow!  I clicked on your link and there is a logitech thumb operated trackball on the first page!  Someone forgot to tell the Logitech webmaster because I have checked for such a thing on their website.  Sadly it apparently has only 3 buttons but I am ordering one anyway.

Thanks much Cranio!
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Thanks Deozann!  I don't know how I missed it - maybe I wasn't desparate enough when I was hunting and dismissed it because it didn't have enough buttons.  Logitech was the first place I looked I am pretty sure.

Anyway thanks to both of you for quick and useful responses.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 05:40 PM »
I wish I had a thumb tackball. I tried to use one that had the ball in the center, but I did't like it. I need my scroll wheel. when I buy a new mouse I will defently have to see if I can find one of the logitech ones.

edit: I have one question though. Why would you need a cordless trackball? The only reason I could think of needing a wireless mouse is because the cable gets tangled up, and when you are moving the mouse around, it will only go so far, so you have to yank on it. With that said, a trackball almost never moves from its current spot, so I don't see what the cordless trackballs are needed for.
[Insert really cool signature here]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:45 PM by nite_monkey »

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:21 PM »
I would say if you had a laptop that you moved around the house - like to the recliner in front of the TV - you might want to retain your favorite mousing device without fooling around with a cord.  Other than that.....?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I wish I had a thumb tackball. I tried to use one that had the ball in the center, but I did't like it. I need my scroll wheel.

I thought a trackball with a ball in the center wouldn't work out too -- but I found a Kensington one that has a scroll ring around the ball and although it took a bit of getting used to, I'm happily adjusted to it now :)

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:20 PM »
I wish I had a thumb tackball. I tried to use one that had the ball in the center, but I did't like it. I need my scroll wheel.

I thought a trackball with a ball in the center wouldn't work out too -- but I found a Kensington one that has a scroll ring around the ball and although it took a bit of getting used to, I'm happily adjusted to it now :)

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

$100 for a mouse? It better be good for that price. As for me, I'll stick with my $30 thumb Trackman from Logitech.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:17 PM »
It's true it was expensive -- though I believe I picked it up for less at Amazon -- but I've been a pretty happy user of it.  Perhaps I should try a thumb-based one sometime -- I may not have given one a fair chance (just casual attempts of models on display).

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:46 AM »
I had the Microsoft Optical 1.0 Trackball. Sadly, I sold it along with the rest of my computer. Worst decision I ever made. Best pointing device I had ever owned. Due to a very small number of people using them, I doubt we will ever see further innovation and development with the trackball (e.g. a Laser Trackball)

Pricewatch used to have links to sites that still stocked the Optical 1.0 Trackball, but I think its all gone now. Meanwhile, I've become a mouse convert :(

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 04:55 AM »
I would say if you had a laptop that you moved around the house - like to the recliner in front of the TV - you might want to retain your favorite mousing device without fooling around with a cord.  Other than that.....?
...I never thought about that
Now I just need my current mouse to hurry up and die on me so that I can have a better excuse to buy a thumb trackball mouse.
[Insert really cool signature here]

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 07:16 AM »
Now I just need my current mouse to hurry up and die
It seems to me that Mouser ought to be able to help with that.
Or, he might just ignore it.
It is difficult to know which way he'll jump...

Padlock6

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I was reading reviews on the Logitech model, and someone pointed out the obvious problems for lefties...
When I fractured my wrist awhile back, I was forced to train my left hand to use a RH, 3-button mouse at work.  What I discovered was a simple way to mouse and type (or check lists w/pen) using both hands.  I don't do this everyday, but the ability to mouse with either hand has come in handy, as well as get funny looks from co-workers sometimes.   ;)
Yeah, trees don't grow on money either.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I've just got back from a trip to Thailand. In Panthip Plaza (a well-known computer hardware and software shopping centre) in Bangkok they had all manner of mice for sale, including just about every version of trackball and thumb-ball mice I had ever seen - and some I had not seen before.

FWIW, in about 1990-something I used to have a thumb-ball mouse that came with a 286-driven (I think it was that) Toshiba laptop (LCD screen). It clipped onto the RHS of the keyboard. Worked quite well, once you got used to it. This predated the central finger-sticks and touchpads.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 12:27 AM »
I don't know if you're still in the market, but I just acquired a Cordless Trackman Optical and I swear by it. I also acquired the logitech wave keyboard which is a beautiful work of art. After using the Microsoft Trackball Explorer Optical for the last 6 years, I have to say that the Logitech trackman is a well designed and worthy product to switch to from the MS Line of trackballs.

Very highly recommended and I am now a logitech zealot, for lack of a better term, although I won't attack you if you use Microsoft ;-)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 12:33 AM »
You can also contact Microsoft directly via email for purchase inquiries - they still have copies of MS Bob (Yea, I asked) for like $15... I'm sure they can find a mouse somewhere in storage as well :)

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 12:46 AM »
Very highly recommended and I am now a logitech zealot, for lack of a better term, although I won't attack you if you use Microsoft ;-)

Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel
Mine went bad a few months after the 5 year warranty. I called Logitech up and all they wanted was the serial number and model. Two days later I had a brand new Cordless Trackman Wheel.  :Thmbsup: :-*
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:54 AM by Cloq »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 01:05 AM »
And it's companies like that which I have the utmost respect for. I mean, taking care of a product which fails AFTER it's 5 year warranty is definitely a big boost in customer service.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 01:34 AM »
I'm head over heels in love with my Logitech Trackman. Not only is it the awesomest mouse ever, but it also does an excellent job of keeping the family away from my PC should I ever forget to lock it ;)
The only complaint I have is the cleaning, but really who cares when you have the awesomest mouse ever?!?
It's comforting to know Logitech are still making them should mine ever fail (three years or so and going strong).

Ehtyar.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 01:12 PM »
Is this actually a mouse beside being a trackball?  I have the marble mouse but that one is only a trackball. I would love to get a hybrid pointer device.
\

Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel
Mine went bad a few months after the 5 year warranty. I called Logitech up and all they wanted was the serial number and model. Two days later I had a brand new Cordless Trackman Wheel.  :Thmbsup: :-*

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I agree the logitech Trackman is a fine product.   However I am very used to the 5 buttons on the Microsoft product.  3 just doesn't cut any more.  I might even go back to a mouse if I could find one with 5 or more buttons.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 03:57 PM »
I agree the logitech Trackman is a fine product.   However I am very used to the 5 buttons on the Microsoft product.  3 just doesn't cut any more.  I might even go back to a mouse if I could find one with 5 or more buttons.

The Logitech G9 is an awesome mouse - tailored for gamers, but an awesome mouse. It has a total of 9 buttons:

• Back button
  • Forward button
  • Speed down
  • Speed Up
  • Left click
  • Right click
  • Scroll down (press)
  • Scroll left
  • Scroll right

I don't remap the buttons, but there are enough of them to go nuts over.

Its also worth mentioning that the Logitech G11 keyboard has a total of 54 function keys (18 keys, 3 modes) if your into that kind of thing.

Disclaimer: I own and love both these products :P

EDIT: Added links