topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Microsoft releases SmallBasic for Newbie Programmers  (Read 26397 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft releases SmallBasic for Newbie Programmers
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 10:34 AM »
Because of .net versions uninstalling mess I needed to reinstall my entire system today. I am not sure if I have any love left for .net. I know what that "." stands for now.
Isn't that stuff a pain!!!!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Friends don't let friends use BASIC! :)

It is possible to write OK structured code with a BASIC flavor like Visual Basic, problem is that the language, IDE, and the type of programmers it attracts usually lead to... horrible... code. And sometimes, irreversible brain damage. Haven't looked at SmallBasic, but doubt it's any different 8)

Funny thing.

I've heard the same things said about people who use C...and Java...and PHP...and Fortran...

And I have one very good friend (who is a true LISP roshi and code warrior ) who says the same thing about all of them - including LISP. ;D

I think the simple truth is that there is no such thing as a computer language so good that some idiot couldn't code and absolute pile of dingo's kidneys using it. And also no language so bad that a real professional couldn't turn it around and use it to do a creditable piece of programming.

Based on what I've observed over the years, I also think most coders tend to prefer (and defend) the first language they truly mastered (as opposed to merely 'learned') over anything else that comes along later.

While it is very true that some languages are inherently more flexible, elegant, and better designed than others, no one language has emerged that is so superior in every technical respect - or for every class of problem - that it emerges as the single best language for everything.

If there were, we'd all be using it and not having any of these discussions. ;)

-----

P.S. In the spirit of full disclosure:  Modula-3 will always be my favorite, which is probably the reason why I'm very partial to Python. I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool Forth fan. :up:

<EDIT on 4/20: fixed a minor grammatical error in one of my sentences above.>.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:54 PM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 08:29 PM »
Because of .net versions uninstalling mess I needed to reinstall my entire system today. I am not sure if I have any love left for .net. I know what that "." stands for now.

The evolution of this stuff kind of reminds me of opiates. We don't want all the applications to duplicate all the code so we have dlls, then we have dll hell so we have COM, then that ain't good enough so we have .NET.. reminds me of the invention of Morphine to get people off Opium, then you have morphine addicts so you "cure" them with heroin, then methadone and on and on.   :)

Let's just all write our code in one stream of consciousness.  It will take a lot of disk space, but with no loops or function calls man with the CPU prefetch those instructions!!!
:)