topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Intro  (Read 139067 times)

rulfzid

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Intro
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34 PM »
I'd like to participate (mostly AHK coding), but don't have any ideas of my own (that I'll be able to implement by Jan. 1 - I've got some bigger things brewing and not enough time).

Is it too late to join?

If not, I'm looking for ideas. I looked at the communal idea thread: the virtual folder thing (at a quick glance) might be a little beyond me atm, but I'll need to take a closer look. I can probably pull of the mouse-wheel scroll thing pretty easily, so I suppose I could start with that.

I want to play, but I'm definitely looking for some inspiration - any more ideas?

-rulfzid

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2008, 08:39 PM »
2rulfzid
Idea for you: text generator.

Sometimes I need to generate quickly plain text numbered lists for various purposes.

It might be even better to allow to define formatting styles (BBCode, HTML), repeated content schemes (ex. user will need five times "added:" sentence ) or auto-counters (ex. each list item will start with different number: 1, 2, 3, ...) for it.

Utility for automizing text writing in such way could be great.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2008, 04:29 AM »
Is it too late to join?

Certainly not! In fact we're thinking of officially extending the Pledge Deadline - the more the merrier!

If you'd like to pledge your commitment, just do it here (you don't necessarily have a completed proposal) and PM me.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2008, 04:36 AM »
2rulfzid
Extending generator idea more:
Many applications allow you to search for some phrases using Regular Expressions but I've never seen text generator which could parse RegExp. It would be killing feature.

Imagine that you write "f[eE]nix " and tool generates "fenix fEnix ".

Or you write "(t[eE]st \n){3}" and see:
test tEst
test tEst
test tEst

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Suspect
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2008, 04:40 AM »
-fenixproductions (December 09, 2008, 04:36 AM)
I love that idea. Wouldn't it get a little out of hand with complicated regular expressions though?

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2008, 04:53 AM »
2deviantopian
-fenixproductions (December 09, 2008, 04:36 AM)
I love that idea. Wouldn't it get a little out of hand with complicated regular expressions though?

It might but it depends how could it be implemented.

Additionally I think that such tool would be better for learning Regular Expressions than many other "regexp helper" tools. Currently for testing your expressions you have to have text file with already written content. That way you have to write each possible combination by yourself and then - check does expression match. Getting that in opposite way would be lot better even if crippled a little bit.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2008, 05:12 AM »
Additionally I think that such tool would be better for learning Regular Expressions than many other "regexp helper" tools. Currently for testing your expressions you have to have text file with already written content. That way you have to write each possible combination by yourself and then - check does expression match. Getting that in opposite way would be lot better even if crippled a little bit.
-fenixproductions (December 09, 2008, 04:53 AM)

What a great point! I love it more!! What do you think rulfzid?

Maybe limiting the number of results would be helpful: I can imagine getting an unmanageable number of results would not be helpful  :)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2008, 05:31 AM »
2Perry Mowbray
Yes. Some limits have to be taken into mind.

Ex.
Teoriticaly "k{1,}" means find "k" letter 1 to infinity times. Generator should allow to define upper limit by user but only up to  some hardcoded value.

rulfzid

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2008, 02:20 PM »
2Perry Mowbray

I'm definitely in. Consider this my pledge.  :)

2fenixproductions

I think the idea is interesting, but I see a couple of problems:

First, I think result lists would get out of hand too fast, and crippling the number of results would cripple the usefulness of the tool. Consider the regex "(.*?)\(" or even just "[a-z]{2}", which would yield 26^2 results.

-fenixproductions (December 09, 2008, 04:53 AM)

Given the regular expressions are a tool for searching (finding patterns in strings), it makes sense to me that you test your regexes against currently existing content (in other words, a filtering tool is supposed to be different from a generative tool). And tools like: http://www.gskinner.com/RegExr/ allow you to see the result lists updated on the fly in the text, so I personally find those more valuable.

I'm kicking around a couple of ideas now, including your first textgen idea. I hope to decide on something soon, in order to get cracking!

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2008, 02:51 PM »
2rulfzid
I understand all plausible problems with that so...

I'm kicking around a couple of ideas now, including your first textgen idea. I hope to decide on something soon, in order to get cracking!

... please add some kind of scripting to it at least (ex. for generating lines with numbers).

puzzlebox

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2008, 04:51 AM »
Am I too late? :D hehehe new guy here.. :) I would like to pledge if it's still ok.. :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2008, 04:53 AM »
Am I too late? :D hehehe new guy here.. :) I would like to pledge if it's still ok.. :)

Welcome! Not too late: PM me your email address, thanks

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2008, 11:34 PM »
I'll *try* to be in this year, probably posting one of my programming class final projects (rewrites of previous apps that have been lost/damaged/abandoned). No guarantees, but I'm hoping. :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2008, 12:12 AM »
I'll *try* to be in this year, probably posting one of my programming class final projects (rewrites of previous apps that have been lost/damaged/abandoned). No guarantees, but I'm hoping. :)

:Thmbsup: Let me encourage you... I had a carrot around here somewhere...

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I've participated the first two times and I'm not about to miss another NANY mug.  I'm in.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2008, 07:53 PM »
I've participated the first two times and I'm not about to miss another NANY mug.  I'm in.

:Thmbsup: Glad to hear it  :Thmbsup:

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2008, 07:08 PM »
 :) Count me in!

Skrommel

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2008, 07:21 PM »
2skrommel
About two weeks left until 1st of January. Will you code 14 apps then? Or maybe 14 x 8 (one hour tools)? ;)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53 PM »
:) Count me in!

'bout time Skrommel! What you trying to do, give my drumming fingers RSI?  ;)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2008, 05:56 AM »
I'm feeling rather discouraged/overwhelmed at trying a desktop app.
Tried in wxperl (since i can do perl in my sleep, or close) but realised that there is pretty much no way to package things properly for distribution. So will have to tackle something else.

Netbeans/java perhaps but I already have another product with a steep learning curve so I don't know.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2008, 08:20 AM »
I'm feeling rather discouraged/overwhelmed at trying a desktop app.
Tried in wxperl (since i can do perl in my sleep, or close) but realised that there is pretty much no way to package things properly for distribution. So will have to tackle something else.

Netbeans/java perhaps but I already have another product with a steep learning curve so I don't know.

It'd be great to see something from you.
Let me offer a truly self-serving idea (feel free to ignore it, of course).
I mention this because I feel it would be quick to do for someone capable.

Some while back I asked if someone could do this.
There were many helpful responses but none resulted in quite what I was seeking.
This was easy to do under OS/2 and I've always wished it were available under Windows.
None of the 'canned' applications does it.
It's Here.

As I say, if this strikes you as ludicrous, or beneath your talents, just ignore the idea.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2008, 11:05 AM »
It'd be great to see something from you.
Let me offer a truly self-serving idea (feel free to ignore it, of course).
I mention this because I feel it would be quick to do for someone capable.

Some while back I asked if someone could do this.
There were many helpful responses but none resulted in quite what I was seeking.
This was easy to do under OS/2 and I've always wished it were available under Windows.
None of the 'canned' applications does it.
It's Here.

As I say, if this strikes you as ludicrous, or beneath your talents, just ignore the idea.

-cranioscopical (December 15, 2008, 08:20 AM)

Funnily enough the only place I ever wrote graphical UI apps was OS/2 (and that was purely to learn it). I still have the Visual Age registration codes somewhere...

I could probably do the math for the spacing and all that, since i did teach numerical physics.

the bit about manipulating icons totally daunts me, I wouldnt know where to start. And the problem is, if you don't know where to start with something, you end up getting sidetracked or procrastinating. Currently i am wasting my time going through tutorials and reading myself back up to date about 3 different languages and checking all the web frameworks out there.
My background is data processing, command line stuff, and web. I think I need something requiring less understanding of how the specific OS or window manager works.

I'm gravitating back to "iphi's memorable passwords" idea - because I don't like using tools that remember passwords for you, that is a security risk, neither is it smart to use the same combination everywhere - the best option is to have passwords that are hard to guess, but that can easily be re-triggered for the person even after not having used them for a while...
My full idea is too much for a nany but i might do part of it... desktop or web, that is the question.

I have actually taken the jump to write it up https://www.donation....msg142274#msg142274
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:41 AM by iphigenie »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Tried in wxperl (since i can do perl in my sleep, or close) but realised that there is pretty much no way to package things properly for distribution.

I admit I know nothing about what packaging a perl distribution would entail, but would it be useful to see how another project does it? You may be familiar with PopFile, probably the first spam filter to use Bayes classification. It's multiplatform, runs fine on Windows, and is written in Perl (although they use the browser for an interface rather than any widget set). You'll find the complete source code from getpopfile.org, which would perhaps illustrate packaging perl for Windows.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Yes, it might - in part it is my ignorance that limits me.
I used popfile many times, awesome product. It stopped working on my machine at some point, although now that i have strawberry perl I should give it a try again

The advantage of doing it in perl is that i can do all the engine bits, and fallback to web if needed

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I'm gravitating back to "iphi's memorable passwords" idea - because I don't like using tools that remember passwords for you, that is a security risk, neither is it smart to use the same combination everywhere

That certainly sounds interesting!