ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Direct Access 2.0 - Getting Too Pricey for Me!

<< < (4/6) > >>

J-Mac:
Just in case...  (  8)   )

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Jim

Edit:  BTW, I know that you know this, Mike, but I didn't want anyone else here to think that I am seeing with forked eyes!  ;D

Darwin:
No worries, Jim! My fault, really, as I didn't give the background - Andrea's original note DID read as you related it here; he edited it today, noting that the original wording was a typo  8)

Merida:
Why used DirectAccess anyway? It is a .NET bloat and PhraseExpress is much more powerful anyway. All features of the upcoming DirectAccess 2 are already existing in PhraseExpress and it does so much more. Plus it is free for personal users.

So why bothering with DirectAccess? Have you found any particular feature I missed while I tested a few text replacement utilities?

Merida

J-Mac:
Why used DirectAccess anyway? It is a .NET bloat and PhraseExpress is much more powerful anyway. All features of the upcoming DirectAccess 2 are already existing in PhraseExpress and it does so much more. Plus it is free for personal users.

So why bothering with DirectAccess? Have you found any particular feature I missed while I tested a few text replacement utilities?

Merida

-Merida (November 16, 2008, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I already downloaded the latest version of Phrase Express. I tried PE about a year and a half, maybe two years ago - probably V.4 - and it was difficult on my machine. For one, it overrode some of my existing keyboard shortcuts and had no facility to undo that other than shutting it down. At that time the developer told me to just shut all other programs down except the one I am using plus PE. That was reason to remove it IMO. And DA was much less intrusive on other applications; didn't override any shortcuts or at least allowed me to edit them.

Also, PE has the "predictive test" feature, which to be honest was driving me crazy! I thought I had turned it off several times but upon restarting it, same thing would occur. Too many times I ended up with phrases inserted that I hadn't intended. Granted I probably didn't take the time to learn all I could and get it working a little more like I wanted, but the program is designed to determine what you are trying to type and do it for you. DA only inserts exactly what I want it to, and when I want it to.

PE6 looks like it has evolved a good bit, and I might just give it another go, though it appears that I may be able to stay with Direct Access after all.

Thanks!

Jim

Merida:
You have probably installed the sample phrase library while installing Phrase Express. You could have simply removed the sample items.

I cannot imagine that you did not know that you can switch off the features you don't want/need. ;-)

The predictive text can be switched off. But as you said, PE has been improved in this department. I am happy with this feature and you can taylor the options to your needs.

Just for entertainment I have tried the last DA beta version but it does not seem to have improved. I have many abbreviations (in the thousands) and DA totally shipwrecks if you store more than about 500 commands. The program takes forever to load, throws fatal error messages and takes >100MB of memory.

I keep sticking to PE. It is more powerful and stable.

Merida

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version