ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Direct Access 2.0 - Getting Too Pricey for Me!

(1/6) > >>

J-Mac:
Direct Access, which has been running a beta of their version 2 for a few months, recently announced a major change in their pricing scheme - and I do mean "scheme".

Instead of the current standard license, this version will require users - existing users - to purchase a one year subscription for $24.95. ($49.95 for new users). One year and done. No option to continue using the current version - I asked and that apparently will not be allowed.

On top of that, if you want to run Direct Access on both your desktop and a notebook computers - as I presently do - you must pay an additional $9.95 for some kind of "Power User License". Oh, and that additional license is both user AND computer restricted; Direct Access must be used by the same person on the same desktop and notebook. I guess Andrea thinks that Direct Access has reached some kind of "elite" plateau. I think not!

This is the kind of bull that I refuse to accommodate. Time to take my software dollars elsewhere.

Adios, Direct Access. Hello Phrase Express, I guess!

Jim

Darwin:
Hmmm... I've been pondering posting about this myself, but wanted to wait and see what happens when version 2 goes "live". I'm not happy with the switch to a subscription scheme, either. I'm quite distrubed by the assertion that current users will not have the option to simply stick with version 1.x. I'm not sure that Andrea will be able to enforce this - version 1.x of DirectAccess wasn't sold with an expiring licence... was it? I don't have it installed so can't check, but I'd be very surprised if there is anything in its EULA that says that after a certain point a subscription fee must be paid for ongoing use!

mwb1100:
These policy changes are unfortunate.  I wasn't too interested in paying for an upgrade to 2.0 to start with, but with the more restrictive licensing, I doubt even some sort of stupid impulse will get me to buy (stupid impulses probably drive most of my software purchases).

One year and done. No option to continue using the current version - I asked and that apparently will not be allowed.
-J-Mac (November 12, 2008, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Are you sure about that one?  I got an email about the impending release of Direct Access 2.0, and the way I read it, the annual subscription is for support, updates and upgrades - pretty much standard stuff for an annual subscription fee.  It doesn't say anything about the license for what ever you have at the time running out:

To get Direct Access 2.0, you need to have an active upgrade subscription. You can buy the upgrade protection now for only 24.95$/year and get priority support and free updates and upgrades for 1 year.-nagarsoft.com
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
I wasn't too interested in paying for an upgrade to 2.0 to start with, but with the more restrictive licensing, I doubt even some sort of stupid impulse will get me to buy (stupid impulses probably drive most of my software purchases).
-mwb1100 (November 13, 2008, 12:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D Hear, hear - my sentiments exactly (right down to the stupid impulses driving software purchases)  :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
Here's a quote from my email:

We you purchase Direct Access you get 12 months of upgrade protection: you will get priority support and access to any version (minor or major) of Direct Access that is released during your coverage period. Upgrade protection costs 24.95$/year.
--- End quote ---

Please note that the emphasis is mine. "access to" sure sounds like you need the subscription to use it. Either way, I have no desire to use Direct Access through a subscription plan, and definitely no desire to pay for an additional license for my notebook.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version