ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Server 2008 R2 - 64 bit only from here on ...

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
WIndows Server 2008 R2 is due for release and looks like a hefty update - the most striking feature is that from this version 32-bit servers are history ..

See: http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/100766/windows-server-2008-r2-not-your-average-r2.html

CWuestefeld:
the most striking feature is that from this version 32-bit servers are history
-Carol Haynes (November 11, 2008, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sigh. That's going to be a big problem for my team. We're developing server software, so we naturally want to use the platform we're developing for (i.e., Windows Server).

However, our development tools (Microsoft's own Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, etc.) are completely unstable in the 64-bit environment. For example, the two tools I mentioned specifically cannot run simultaneously; when they're both up, one of them will always crash within a few minutes.

The only way we can be productive today is in the 32-bit environment. Microsoft is going to have to do something to stabilize the OS and/or the tools (I'm not sure on which side the fault lies).

When they're done with that, they should do something about the confusion of managing the 64-bit environment, what with the WOW thing, the bizarre remapping of the Program Files, the fact that .Net recognizes different machine.config files depending on which environment is running, etc.

Darwin:
Thanks for the heads up, Carol. I just installed Windows Server 2008 64-bit on my notebook and will watch out for the update to R2  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
The question that doesn't seem clear is what happens to 2008 32-bit users? Does R2 automatically update them to 64-bit or are they simly dead in the water.

I presume that once 64 bit only appears then 64 bit workstation OSes will also start to become the norm and the tools will become stable when they don't have to cope with separate code bases.

Can't help but feel that this is the way forward. Now all we have to do is convince MS that only one version of the workstation OS is required in Windows 7 - ie. a single 64 bit OS for users and a server version.

Now wouldn't that be nice?  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
WIndows Server 2008 R2 is due for release and looks like a hefty update - the most striking feature is that from this version 32-bit servers are history ..

See: http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/100766/windows-server-2008-r2-not-your-average-r2.html
-Carol Haynes (November 11, 2008, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
About fscking time - it's the only way to get 64bit accepted (and developers, possibly including Microsoft itself, to support it properly).

CWuestefeld: is that 32bit apps on the 64bit OS, or 64/64? Would surprise me a bit if MS couldn't make stable 64bit versions of their flagship server apps, considering that NT supports some pretty massive x86 systems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version