topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea: multiple taskbars  (Read 6455 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea: multiple taskbars
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:25 PM »
I don't think this is a new request but have been searching DC looking for the thread without much luck.  I have multiple monitors and would like the taskbar to showing what is open on their respective monitors.

I thought Skrommel had written something but haven't been able to find that as well.

<sigh>

Dave

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: multiple taskbars
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:35 PM »
You could try Oscar's Multi-Monitor taskBar. Haven't tried it myself, but am very tempted to, as this is a feature that I've been looking for as well. Thus, thanks for forcing me out of my apathy to go looking!

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:44 PM »
thanks for the quick reply, Darwin.  I did d/l and try it and seems to work reasonably well (after only a couple of minutes).  I do wish it showed the start button on both taskbars.  Not sure why, but I guess I think it should be there.  I can use winkey for that though.

maybe there is one that will do both??  Preferably free.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Ha, ha - I've just downloaded and installed the trial for the Pro version myself and the one niggle for me is... the absence of the Start button on the second (and subsequent) taskbars  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Actual Windows Manager features a multimonitor taskbar with the ability to have the Start Menu on each monitor's taskbar... but it'll cost 'ya!

EDIT: dug a bit deeper - Actual Windows Manager is $49.95.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:03 PM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Crud. I like the Pro version of Multi-Monitor Taskbar (the free version doesn't feature a Vista skin) but don't think I'd really like the free version... and I can't see paying $28 for it. Sigh... I guess I'll run the trial for a bit and see if it's a "must have" application. Too bad it doesn't just adopt the skin in use on the system.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:05 PM »
I'd be very interested in Actual Tools solution - too bad it is not available as a stand-alone product. AFAICT, most of the features that are available in Windows Manager are also available in stand-alone versions. As Windows Manager 5.2 came out October 14 and this was a brand new feature with that release, I wonder if a stand-alone version will be released in the future?

Alex Belyakov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20 AM »
Darwin, we've released Actual Multiple Monitors recently.
This product includes Multi-monitor Taskbar + ability to set individual wallpaper/screensaver for each monitor + newly added Vista-like previews for opened windows. The code of this product is a part of coming-soon release 5.4 of Actual Window Manager, and it also improves visual compatibility of Multi-monitor Taskbars with Windows 7.

Perhaps it's what you've been looking for :)