ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Renamers, Picture Viewers, etc., 1999 before 2

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
I extracted the pictures from a video, and they were automatically named  1, 2, 3, etcetera. Explorer doesn't have any problem with this, of course, but my favourite image viewers would display them in the order 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1001, (...), 1999, 2, etc. So I figured I would rename the image files accordingly, 0001, 0002, only to find out that four of my five renaming utility are suffering from the same illness, (and the fifth couldn't handle that many files)!!

Apart from this being a great disappointment to me, it made me wonder what others are doing in situations like this. Is the listed numbering order sometimes a problem to you? Do you have a renaming utility and/or a picture viewer that will show the files in the same order as Explorer? 
:tellme:

Edited:
I forgot to say that I so far have settled with XnView, because it will handle the numbers correctly. But the image quality from XnView really is inferior, so I would like to know your answers anyway.

cmpm:
What program did you use to extract the pics?

Could be the answer is in it's help or faq section.

Strange problem for sure.

CWuestefeld:
About a year ago this topic came up on CodingHorror. I was intrigued, and wrote some code and a CodeProject article that uses regular expressions to handle this.

My algorithm deals with multiple numeric "fields" in the name, decimal values, etc. But a commenter pointed out that Windows actually provides a shell API method that will do this kind of sorting for you.

Curt:
Thanks a lot Chris.
I have passed your informations on to the author of my renamer. Some hours ago I yelled at him (in writing), so I guess he should be the first to know where to (maybe) find a solution :-)

Are you going to tell the forum about this experience:

?
Is it an ongoing hobby, or was it a one of the kind event?

Curt:
What program did you use to extract the pics?

Could be the answer is in it's help or faq section.
-cmpm (November 10, 2008, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, but No help from Help. No FAQ.
And certainly No contact! - I wouldn't dare to contact that site from my own address! The program is SC Video Decompiler from SoftwareClub.ws - any firewall or anti-spyware will be alarmed, but the decompiler does it's job (and does it well), and nothing more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version