ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?

<< < (8/25) > >>

rjbull:
Well... what's worse about Nuance (unless they've changed their tune of late) is that they won't let you run a trial of their software - you MUST buy it.-Darwin (December 08, 2008, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I admit I did that with Instant Text, and haven't regretted it (other than wishing I had it ten years ago).

The upside is that they've got a generous 90 day no questions asked return policy, which I have used without fanfare or drama twice.

--- End quote ---

Twice???   :o

BTW, they should have most of their stuff on sale over the next two months - you might want to hold off in anticipation of that...

--- End quote ---

If I can: my hand may be forced.  Do Nuance routinely have a winter discount?  Price is $99 as of this morning.  Unless you visit their UK site, in which case the price is £99, about $147   :mad:

I took a very quick look at a couple of their videos, but couldn't see what I was looking for.  Does the program have an editor-style search-and-replace, or would one have to work on every repeated text object separately?  In the latter case, it would probably be better to convert to Word .DOC.

Darwin:

Twice???   :o

BTW, they should have most of their stuff on sale over the next two months - you might want to hold off in anticipation of that...

--- End quote ---

...Does the program have an editor-style search-and-replace, or would one have to work on every repeated text object separately?  In the latter case, it would probably be better to convert to Word .DOC.
-rjbull (December 08, 2008, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

In both cases I bought the software only to be offered large discounts at a later date, so I simply returned them and bought them again  :-[

RE: discounts, my experience is that they usually offer a discount around the middle/end of Decmeber. Often, this precedes a new release, but not every year. I guess you've nothing to lose, really - if you buy now and the sale DOES happen, you can pull my little stunt and return it, then buy at the discount!

Finally, in place text editing/search-and-replace... I'm going to test it now. I'll post back in a few minutes  :)

UPDATE: AFAICT there is no replace feature. However, you can both Find and Search throughout a document - Find functions more or less like Find in Word while Search reports back with a list of all occurences of the search term:

Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?

rjbull:
In both cases I bought the software only to be offered large discounts at a later date, so I simply returned them and bought them again  :-[
-Darwin (December 08, 2008, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D

UPDATE: AFAICT there is no replace feature. However, you can both Find and Search throughout a document - Find functions more or less like Find in Word while Search reports back with a list of all occurences of the search term:

--- End quote ---

Thanks for checking!  Find sounds helpful.  At least you can easily get to the next point where you need to make a change.  There's nothing like that (AFAICS) in the current version of the Foxit PDF Editor.  Sounds like Search is like a grep.

MikeMcLoughlin:
Just to chip in - I have used Serif PagePlus X3 for editing some fairly complex PDFs (CAD drawings, forms with images, etc) and have found it to work extremely well. I think there's a trial version and there's normally discounts available from various sources.

Darwin:
Thanks for posting that, Mike. I just gave my copy of PagePlusX2 a shot and it does have a very nice find and replace function. Almost makes me regret not jumping at the $29 upgrade to X3 I was offered recently! I"m going to play around with X2 some more - I've only test it with a pdf I generated from a text file - and report back here  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version