ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?

<< < (3/25) > >>

Lutz_:
Hello Darwin,
no, Nitro PDF does not do any OCR at all. It just embeds bitmaps and the created PDFs are consequently not fully searchable. I guess you have tried omnipage OCR?

Hope the avatar shows off my brain capacity.  :huh:

Darwin:
Hello Darwin,
no, Nitro PDF does not do any OCR at all. It just embeds bitmaps and the created PDFs are consequently not fully searchable. I guess you have tried omnipage OCR?

Hope the avatar shows off my brain capacity.  :huh:
-Lutz_ (November 25, 2008, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

As does mine! Actually, Amud 1 has the highest recorded cranial capacity of any known hominin... However, given that it's empty space... you get my drift!

At any rate, I have Omnipage Pro and ReadIris Pro and both work well  :Thmbsup:

mateek:
Everyone missed a PDF editor I've been using for a few years: PagePlusX3 is about three years more advanced than my version, but i don't do all that much PDF editing to care.  It's going for $100.  You're always going to run into locked and uneditable PDFs, but this puts out great looking rebate forms, or whatever you happen to need professional looking.  I like the interface, but I hope they've improved the page manager. 

I don't have any ads on my websites, but two of Serif's programs impressed me enough to make it the only advertisement on my website, unsolicited.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that I got emails for great bargains on out of date versions.

As for OCR, I've used ABBY and Omnipage, and I'd say it's pretty much a toss up between the two.

Antonimo:
Not sure if the OP is still interested, but ABC Amber PDF Converter might be worth a look. They make converters for almost anything - I have used / bought several in the past and they have been excellent.

Here is their opening blurb:
ABC Amber PDF Converter is a powerful tool which allows you to convert PDF to any document format (HTML, CHM, RTF, HLP, TXT, DOC, DBF, XML, CSV, XLS, MDB, DB, etc.) easily and quickly. You can export all pages or just selected pages, as plain text or as preview pictures.
--- End quote ---
http://www.processtext.com/abcpdf.html
Price: $12.95

rjbull:
Not sure if the OP is still interested, but ABC Amber PDF Converter might be worth a look.
-Antonimo (December 03, 2008, 02:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd briefly looked at just a few programs and services, and decided that while Zamzar came very close, none of them did a perfect job.  Besides, though I'd forgotten it when I started on this, Gizmo's TechSupportAlert premium edition newsletter did a group test of a number of converters.  He came to the same conclusion as I did, though he rated one of the commercial ones best, a whisker ahead of Zamzar.  However, at some point I suppose I'll have to take another look, making sure to try before I reach for my credit card this time...

@mateek:
I thought PagePlus was a DTP program, not a PDF editor?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version