topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?  (Read 98781 times)

blikksem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Curt, thanks for the feedback
I'm still not sure if it's worth the $22 though.
Pity they don't have a trial version

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2009, 04:03 PM »
Why is Evernote2 missing FF ? (And NetSnippets if it comes to that).

OK the add-ins may say they are incompatible but it is worth giving them a try any way (just switch of compatibility testing in about:config). I bet you find both work just fine (I know Evernote 2.2 does).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Why is Evernote2 missing FF ? (And NetSnippets if it comes to that).

OK the add-ins may say they are incompatible but it is worth giving them a try any way (just switch of compatibility testing in about:config). I bet you find both work just fine (I know Evernote 2.2 does).

:-[ Never thought to do that... Right, off to give it a go now!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2009, 05:40 PM »
A better way of doing it is to update the version number in the add-on (just rename the xpi installer file to a zip extension, unzip it, finsd the relevant text file with the version numbers and extend the life of the add-on to the current version of FF you are using, then zip it all up again, change it back to an xpi file and install it).

Alternatively install MrTech add-on and it adds the option to Make Compatible in the extensions context menu. This doesn't require that the about:config is tweaked to ignore compatibility issues.

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2009, 09:32 AM »
I often get asked for PDF annotation software by friends. On OS X, Preview can fill forms, and the magnificent Skim can annotate and add arbitrary text all for free. Payware-wise, PDFPen Pro is really nice.

On windows, most of the things I've tried are clunky. However I recently tried PDF-XCHANGE viewer, and it seems to be the best of the bunch for free. Most importantly, the annotations are later editable which is good, and I can get interoperability with PDFPen on OS X for collaborative notes cross-platform.
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2009, 01:05 PM »
edited: on second thought this may be for existing customers only - they only ask you to paste your existing license code AFTER the purchase has been made - but I am really not sure.
----

Back to the initial subject: a recommendable pdf EDITOR:

Nitro PDF Professional v6 + OCR upgrade

will be launched in January 2010 but is on offer right now:
http://www.nitropdf....s/end_year_50off.htm

nitrorebat1e.gif

nitrorebate.gif

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:16 PM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2009, 02:37 PM »
This could be a winner, Curt. If they retain the OCR version price as the upgrade price for future versions, it will be a bargain. For now, I'm sticking with Nuance's PDF Converter Pro, but I have two licenses for Nitro PDF Professional 6 that I have installed on other computers. Quite impressive, though I am under-whelmed with its start up speed! Another plus is that they offer true 32 bit and 64 bit versions, which classes them ahead of Nuance. With OCR, they will be very competitive. Crumb, I'm quite tempted to pre-order the OCR version...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2009, 05:57 PM »
I should add that my price ended at $92 because of VAT and a $10 "OCR upgrade assurance" (whatever that might be). This price made me a little sad.

Also, the reason for Nitro's slow launching is of course, that it doesn't have a speed launcher placed in Start! hahahadobe.

I was looking at Nuance and was tempted, but the price tag kept me from even trialing it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2009, 11:08 PM »
I was looking at Nuance and was tempted, but the price tag kept me from even trialing it.

I usually buy it on sale - often I can buy the full version (not an upgrade) for less than Nuance's normal upgrade pricing if I wait for one of their (frequent) sales. Thus, I bought a full copy of version 6 Pro for $59.99! However, Curt, I think that you are onto a good thing with Nitro  :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2009, 02:55 AM »
- thanks for the positive thoughts, Darwin. I hope you will be right, because those $92 made it my single most expensive upgrade!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2009, 11:15 AM »
- thanks for the positive thoughts, Darwin. I hope you will be right, because those $92 made it my single most expensive upgrade!

Glad to help! BTW, I think the $10 OCR upgrade assurance gives you a year of free upgrades should they decide to release Nitro Pro OCR 7.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I don't know if this is recommendable as it is being promoted by Avanquest; but I am a little impressed that it actually offers to edit the text in PDF files:

http://www.avanquest...f-converter-software

pdf73847-584.gif

The Fastest, Easiest Way to Create, Convert & Edit PDF Documents!

Lightning PDF Professional is the complete PDF alternative to Adobe Acrobat specifically designed for business users. All PDF files created are 100% industry-standard and fully compatible with any PDF viewer. It includes these amazing features:

* Create PDF files from 300+ file types
    * Edit PDF content - fix typos, remove and change text & graphics
    * Quickly convert PDF files for use in Microsoft® Word
    * Control how people use PDF files you share using 128-bit encryption
    * Built-in PDF file viewer for reviewing PDF files

pdf4010-585.gif

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:27 AM by Curt »

134679aa

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2010, 05:54 AM »
¸Ðл, Grorgy :D ;D

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2010, 06:37 AM »
I don't know if this is recommendable as it is being promoted by Avanquest; but I am a little impressed that it actually offers to edit the text and images in PDF files:

Are you going to give it a go Curt? I'd be interested in how it goes converting back to Word, RTF or whatever...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2010, 06:50 AM »
- no, thank you, I just spend an awful lot of money on Nitro 6 Pro OCR, so I am stuffed...

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2010, 06:57 AM »
 :) Elegant sufficiency I hope

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2010, 08:30 AM »
- oh yes, thank you.
Nitro Pro is also a very capable converter.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2010, 02:44 PM »
   * Edit PDF content - fix typos, remove and change text & graphics

I'd be interested to know what they mean by "Edit."  By the looks of what they say, it sounds a bit like Foxit.  Yes, you can change things, but it's a bit like using peelable Letraset, or a kindergarten cut-and-stick job.  It isn't remotely like using a word processor.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2010, 05:33 PM »
..., you can change things, but it's a bit like using peelable Letraset, or a kindergarten cut-and-stick job.  It isn't remotely like using a word processor.

so you feel sure it will treat the pdf as if it is an image and not a text file?

dcm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2010, 04:45 PM »
I tried Lightning PDF Professional, but it would not install without removing another PDF tool - maybe Expert PDF 6.

When I asked support if Lightning was an upgrade from Expert, they could not tell me.

I asked for a refund and was given another long distance number to call, and they asked for a lengthy response to a "Letter of Destruction for Avanquest Software".

Now I have to wait up to 30 days for a refund.

Just a warning...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2010, 05:23 PM »
..., you can change things, but it's a bit like using peelable Letraset, or a kindergarten cut-and-stick job.  It isn't remotely like using a word processor.

so you feel sure it will treat the pdf as if it is an image and not a text file?
Without trying Lightning PDF  I obviously can't be certain, but, Foxit PDF Editor knows what the component objects of a PDF are.  I haven't tried its graphics abilities, but it can edit graphics (sort of simple form of Paint, I think).  It knows text objects are a different kind of thing, and allows you to perform actions on them like delete individual letters or add new ones, or, to move the whole text object complete.  That last feature is like you had that block of text printed on a transparent sheet, and moved the whole sheet to a different location as a unit.  Foxit also has various features like alignment that I didn't discover when I was using it at work (haven't had to use it for a while, going rusty).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Earlier versions of Serif PagePlus were criticised for not handling PDF files properly (or at all), but "now" Serif is making a big noise about the "new" (almost half a year old) PagePlus X5's PDF capabilities:

2011-03-09_234235.gif

Impressive PDF Editing

Import and edit documents from anywhere and enjoy real compatibility with customers, colleagues, business partners, web browsers and print shops!

Edit Everything in PDFs
Break the mould for a desktop publisher and edit PDF documents as if they were regular PagePlus publications: change text, fonts, layout, colors, images, page order, add and delete pages, merge PDFs, add new content, correct changes in PDFs you receive, and more!

Publish Designs as PDF for Professional Compatibility
PDFs made by PagePlus can be optimized for professional printing, desktop printing, viewing online, highly optimized for email, and can be viewed on other PCs, Macs, tablets, laptops, netbooks and smartphones. Plus you’ll get accurate prints thanks to PDF/X-1a compliance for commercial presses and print shops!

Create Interactive e-Brochures, Forms and Documents
Add hyperlinks and more to traditional documents to make attractive electronic brochures you can publish as efficient PDFs for easy sharing or hosting online. PagePlus’ forms are also printable PDFs so a design can be filled in by hand and sent by post, or completed electronically… with the completed form data sent to you by email, for free.

-Serif PagePlus

The offer's link included my email address, so you will have to find the proper page yourself.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:48 AM by Curt »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21 AM »
I have both Nitro Pro and PDF Annotator - both are useful in different ways - happy to answer some questions if anyone is curious

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Serif is making a big noise about the "new" (almost half a year old) PagePlus X5's PDF capabilities

Hmmm...  I have X4, maybe I should consider responding to their e-mails about upgrading, as long as I can use a coupon.  On the other hand, I already have both Foxit and Infix...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22 AM »
... PagePlus X5's PDF capabilities
Hmmm...  I have X4, maybe I should consider responding to their e-mails about upgrading, as long as I can use a coupon.  On the other hand, I already have both Foxit and Infix...

-maybe, and maybe not.

A relative advanced PDF file (that my genuine pdf editors had no problem with) made PagePlus X5 give these messages:

X5pdfImport.gif
X5pdfImport+font.gif
X5pdfImportERROR.gif